Combat Vamp Combinations

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Apr 18, 2010
20
Zombies
27
Hi as a relatively unproven commander i am still trying to work out general combinations,
Does anybody know good combinations for a close combat orientated vampire on the cheap if possible (eg; in a 1500 - 2000 point game):konrad:
All ideas welcome!
 
For Close Combat i usually take this :

Vampire Lord
Infinite Hatred
Red Fury
and depending on enemies beguiling presence or walking death

bloodtrinker or ogre blade
crown of the damned
flayed hauberk

this is about 400 Pts so you can take him in 2000 Pts battles.
 
Does walking death only affect the unit the vampire is in? or does it have a range? the description on the army book isnt great.

Thanks
 
ogre blade

I could not find any mention of that in the equipment section?

Besides that i will be using most of your ideas with walking death not beguile.

With walking death i am assuming that it applies to the entire army not just to the vampires unit please correct me if i am mistaken.:konrad:
 
ogre blade is in the main rulebook and i think it gives +2 strength

i take

-Redfury
-Forbidden lore (beasts)
-Sword of bloodshed
-flayed hauberk
-and throw him in a unit with the banner of strigos
 
Vlad von Car-stain said:
ogre blade

I could not find any mention of that in the equipment section?

Besides that i will be using most of your ideas with walking death not beguile.

With walking death i am assuming that it applies to the entire army not just to the vampires unit please correct me if i am mistaken.:konrad:

Ogre Blade is in the warhammer rulebook, which is also filled with plenty of other lovely new magic items. It's in the reference section, and this one grants +2S. (or is it +3?)

And for Walking Death: certainly not! It'd be waaay overpowered if it worked for the whole army. Just the combat the vampire is fighting in, and even if you have many vampires with this ability in the same combat, you only get the bonus once.... so just +1.
 
Thanks for the correction about walking death, that's a pity because then it would kick serious butt!
:vampire2:
I didn't realize you could take items from the main rulebook if so i shall need to have a good look at them!
Are there any you particularly like and if so why.
 
Ogre blade is pretty sweet. Throwing out 4 S7 attacks is nice. I'd rather hit with higher S than have more attacks. And I kinda like the sword of anti-heroes. If the units your fighting have just R&F you should be cutting through them anyway. Toss in a character and now you doing 5A at S6. 2 characters and your 6A at S7. Toss in red fury and it only gets better.....:perv: I fought a OK army once that went deathstar with all 4 characters in the unit. That was 8A at S9 w/red fury....Ogre steaks on the BBQ that night.....xD
 
Ogre Blade is nice, versus dispel heavy armies i take the blooddrinker, makes refilling the vampires unit or his hp much easier, otherwise usually ogres blade.
 
I take:

Vampire Lord, 435 pts
. . Level 3 Upgrade
. . Ogre Blade
. . Glittering Scales
. . Dragonbane Gem
. . Black Periapt
. . The Other Trickster's Shard
. . Red Fury
. . Dark Acolyte

Partially a hybrid lord. However, as a combat lord I found I didn't have as much magic defense as I wanted. So I run Dark Acolyte to get the +1 to dispel over a normal level three. That along with the Black Coach gives me decent magic defense. If I need more, the Black Periapt can help me out.

This lord goes along with the Drakenhoff BSB, so he either has Regen or a 2+ ward. Also, with -1 to Hit him, I found that he generally won't die from a single combat so I have time to heal him back up.

I've played with different sword combinations and found that Ogre Blade was overall most useful. This hit home when I ran into two Stegadons that I couldn't kill before getting outflanked, whereas if I had the Ogre Blade they wouldn't have been a problem (I had the +2 attack sword instead).

OTS is clutch against a lot of enemy characters.

Overall I think this build is very solid.
 
I'm a fan of this vampire lord when coupled with a Forbidden Lore: Beasts thrall

Infinite Hatred
Red Fury
Nightshroud
Crown of the Damned
Sword of Striking

Lord costs 380 pts, you can throw the extra caster level & the summoning power of your choice / walking death if need be. Also, the SoS is 45 points I believe meaning you can switch it for the blood drinker if you feel like it but...

When you are able to cast Savage Beast of Horros (whatever...) on your lord you're left with 10 WS7 attacks hitting most everything on 3's & rerolling to hit. Wounding most everything on 2's thanks to S8. Even without the spell you have 7 WS7 S5 attacks. I know the nightshroud is only light armor but being able to strike before assassins, any other characters & debuffing models who attack the lord is great & with T5 & a 4++ I find my lord is usually ok. Anything that is really scary he faces is usually going to deny armor saves anyways either flat out or by being S8+
 
If you want a horrible Lord, here:

Lord
- Sword of +3A (from rulebook)
- Crown of the Damned
- Red Fury
- Infinite Hatred
- Avatar of Death (heavy armour and shield)

Combine with a Thrall with Lore of Beasts using the spell granting +3A and +3S:

You have a WS 8 Lord with high initiative, with 10 attacks at S8, re-rolling misses, then red fury. He's horrible, and also has a 4+ armour save and a 4+ ward save at the cost of being stupid. SO what?! He rules!
 
I usually go with this guy:

Lord
TFH
Obsidian Blade
Red Fury
Walking Death

Infinite Hatred (sometimes, depending usually on points)


4 S5 attacks with no armors saves, usually get all 4 with RF, if everything works out for the best you're getting many kills and a total CR 9 produced all by himself.
 
should you thake a lord vampire or a 2 vampires in a hard hitting combat army for a tournament of 1500p? need advice please
 
I'd go with 1 Lord over 2 thralls, in 1500 pt I would go for

Lord
IH
Redfury
Flayed hauberk
Crown of the damned
Sword of (battle/might)
The tricksters other shard
 
The Cav Version:
Red Fury
Level 3 Upgrade
Infinite Hatred
Dreadknight
Blood Drinker
The Crimson Gem of Lahmia
The Dragonhelm
Talisman of Endurance (or) The Dawnstone

So, either a 1+ rerollable armor save or 1+ armor, 5+ ward. Takes the crimson gem because, if he's in combat with anything remotely normal, he'll probably do at least two wounds to it (usually about 6 or 7 to normal infantry) and be able to immediately heal the wounds back, and because a smaller list (under 3k) with this vamp in it will need all the magic help it can get.

The walking version (for grave guard perhaps, or even ghouls) substitutes Avatar of Death for Dread Knight and takes the Crown of the Damned, since I assume he'll be somewhere near the BSB. 4+ armor 4+ ward isn't quite as durable, but he's still very fast, and if anybody manages to get through his ward save up to twice, he'll restore his wounds in the next combat round. However, he still makes that unit of grave guard nearly impossible to finish all the way off by restoring at least 4 per turn.

An alternative walking build (for large games involving 2+ vamps, where you don't need excess castability) ditches the crimson gem for a 2+ armor save.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu