Do you name your models and create fluff?

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Absolutely!
Maybe not totally blasted, you still want to be, you know, functional... but pretty drunk.

One of my hobbies is to write comedy scripts, and I followed those ideas for two of my favourites that I've written. One of them, I was trying to go to sleep, but at like 1am I jumped out of bed with a spark of inspiraton and wrote till 4, and it was great.
Another one happened less naturally, I was feeling a little stuck (again it was late at night), so I popped open a bottle of whatever I had available that night and wrote away.

Experiment with it and see where you get. Maybe you'll find that your zombies have an interesting backstory and that you want to focus on them first, maybe your poor TG is actually trying to sing an opera but doesn't have the pipes for it, you come up with incredible ideas when your brain isn't trying to censor itself.

Unless of course you want a serious backstory, in which case, don't follow my advice (or only drink a little).
 
I not only name my characters and come up with fluff for them, I name my characters mounts, my units, my unit champions, my magic items and special rules, ect.

My current Vampire army is The Portrait of Ruin. It is led by the mad artist Victor Brauner. He is a blood knight, who when turned had his artistic nature twisted as much as his knightly code. Instead of the Talisman or Preservation, he carries a Living Self Portrait.

And yes I am a big Castlevania fan.
 
I created fluff for both of my fantasy armies (Vampires and Bretonnia).

My "Bretonnians" are actually from Albion and their society is far fairer than that of Bretonnia, more like Arthurian legend. I wrote a whole story about the rise of the Kingdom (called Lordemar) and how everything was put in place (Knightly orders, dukedoms etc.)

MY Vampire Counts army is led by a certain Victor Ravenhoft, who I based on Dracula from the 1991 film. He is from an ancient kingdom that existed before the Empire, and ruled over a castle known as the Crimson Fortress with his loyal knights, defending the people and whatnot. However when a new, cruel king was crowned he was betrayed and his castle besieged. During the siege false news was sent to his love, a woman called Elisabeth, and she killed herself. A traitor opened the gates and let the enemy in, so Victor and his knights retreated to the keep, where he found Elisabeth's body dead by her own hand. Soon he and his knights were all slain, but before he died Victor swore an oath that he would return from death to avenge himself and his love.

Many years later warpstone fell from Morrslieb and the dead rose from their graves. Victor and his Knights were all brought back as vampiric knights hungering for vengeance. They soon led a crusade of death across the kingdom, sacking every village, burning every home, drinking blood, torturing and mutilating innocents and soldiers alike, until they reached the King's castle, which they proceeded to destroy. Victor spent many moons torturing the King before having him thrown to the wolves.

Now Victor and his Knights rule the silent, dead land from their crumbling castle of Crimson Fortress, and Victor constantly seeks a way to bring Elisabeth, whose ghost haunts him eternally, back from the dead.

I will be writing fluff for all three of my hero level vampires and for each of my 9 blood knights as well.
 
Though this does not apply to everyone I have noticed that people who make fluff for their army's tend to have more interestingly themed army's.
 
Shareya said:
Though this does not apply to everyone I have noticed that people who make fluff for their army's tend to have more interestingly themed army's.

Probably because writing a backstory for your army/characters helps set the theme. I've got a story for my Vampire Lord (Tales from the Crypt-the Story of Count Vashra), a High Elf granted the Blood Kiss (Don't tear me up) and used his power to restore his Dragon to unlife and is now taking revenge on the Dark Elves who took his sister (who may or may not still be alive. He is using Undead Dark Elves in his army to just freak out the Dark Elves like arrgh! TI knew him!-although DE don't sound like they make friendships. That will set my theme of using a Vampire Lord (for fluff, High Elf Prince model), Zombie Dragon (High Elf Dragon) and Dark Elf model parts for my army.
 
Count Vashra said:
Shareya said:
Though this does not apply to everyone I have noticed that people who make fluff for their army's tend to have more interestingly themed army's.

Probably because writing a backstory for your army/characters helps set the theme. I've got a story for my Vampire Lord (Tales from the Crypt-the Story of Count Vashra), a High Elf granted the Blood Kiss (Don't tear me up) and used his power to restore his Dragon to unlife and is now taking revenge on the Dark Elves who took his sister (who may or may not still be alive. He is using Undead Dark Elves in his army to just freak out the Dark Elves like arrgh! TI knew him!-although DE don't sound like they make friendships. That will set my theme of using a Vampire Lord, Zombie Dragon (Dark Elf Dragon) and Dark Elf model parts for my army.

:thumbsdown:
 
Deathless Dreamer said:

Can you be more elaborate than that, Deathless? What is it that you don't like about it?

Anyway, I'm currently in a Mordheim campaign playing an Undead warband. Seeing as Mordheim is set roughly 500 years back from the modern day timeline, I've decided that it is the starting point of my present day Vampire Lord. I quite enjoy seeing her list of deeds and misdeeds grow with every game played. :vampire2:

Edit: And the various warband members will go on to become characterful additions to the main army! :)
 
Count Vashra said:
Thanks for the support, Adam. I'll just try to ignore the flak (no offence to people who are disagreeing).

Aye whilst elves (or any non-human) technically can't become vamps in the more modern stuff it's good to see people who realise their fluff is theirs and they can do what they like ;)

I did one a while back of a Druchii who became a vampire through messing around with Khaine Cult Blood Magic and Dhar. He was a bit different from your average vamp and didn't consider himself one but he was in most ways. Don't think I ever posted about him though!


Anywhos as for myself my oldest army is V'azrin's horde with his get Reshorn and his Necromancer Damek. These are all characters from TVC and some stories I wrote years ago.

All my armies have some sort of written fluff behind them although I haven't actually played a game in a long, long time.
 
Like it was said before, elves can't become vampires. That's my problem with it - they die if they are given the blood kiss, and often quite gruesomely.
 
Deathless Dreamer said:
Like it was said before, elves can't become vampires. That's my problem with it - they die if they are given the blood kiss, and often quite gruesomely.

I realise this is 'established' fluff, but it hasn't been stated solidly anywhere in years - such as the army books - and since the fluff has been changed so many times in that period, why couldn't that be changed? And, at the end of the day, it's a fictional world, and a game. The rules are really in our own hands; that's why there's so much of the history left blank, with only general pieces of the sagas filled in. That gives us a lot of room to play with. Who says a necrarch didn't develop a way, or some other story?

Of course, this is only my opinion, and you are entitled to have your own, but that must go both ways.
 
Malochai said:
Deathless Dreamer said:
Like it was said before, elves can't become vampires. That's my problem with it - they die if they are given the blood kiss, and often quite gruesomely.

I realise this is 'established' fluff, but it hasn't been stated solidly anywhere in years - such as the army books - and since the fluff has been changed so many times in that period, why couldn't that be changed? And, at the end of the day, it's a fictional world, and a game. The rules are really in our own hands; that's why there's so much of the history left blank, with only general pieces of the sagas filled in. That gives us a lot of room to play with. Who says a necrarch didn't develop a way, or some other story?

Of course, this is only my opinion, and you are entitled to have your own, but that must go both ways.

This is what I was trying to say, it isn't in line with the actual established stuff but it's his fluff so in the end it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks, whether it's me, you or GW themselves! xD

I think it's just nice that people actually bother to put the effort in to make their own fluff!
 
Yes of course he is entitled to make his own fluff, but I have no obligation to accept it. He can come up with whatever he wants, as anyone can, but others don't have to accept it.

I wrote my own fluff for my army but no one pays that any attention. For some reason having vampire-elves immediately makes everyone interested, because it's just one of those silly ideas that everyone goes mad about.
 
Deathless Dreamer said:
Yes of course he is entitled to make his own fluff, but I have no obligation to accept it. He can come up with whatever he wants, as anyone can, but others don't have to accept it.

Of course :)

I wrote my own fluff for my army but no one pays that any attention. For some reason having vampire-elves immediately makes everyone interested, because it's just one of those silly ideas that everyone goes mad about.

I read and enjoyed your fluff, I just didn't have anything constructive to say about it! I'm sure there are plenty of others who liked it too :)
 
Deathless Dreamer said:
Yes of course he is entitled to make his own fluff, but I have no obligation to accept it. He can come up with whatever he wants, as anyone can, but others don't have to accept it.

Of course, as you say, you have no obligation to accept it ... But nor do you have any entitlement to say it is wrong or shouldn't be done.

Deathless Dreamer said:
I wrote my own fluff for my army but no one pays that any attention. For some reason having vampire-elves immediately makes everyone interested, because it's just one of those silly ideas that everyone goes mad about.

I've done that numerous times; I've written stories that no-one has commented on, etc. Some ideas just catch people's attention more than others, no reason to dismiss the idea as 'silly' or anything!
 
Mad said:
Now you are just mean to Corien Sumatris, I'm pretty sure that his post was directed at your fluff.

I wasn't trying to downplay Corien's comment at all. I don't mean to sound pretentious or full of myself but objectively speaking Vashra could do with practice, and his ideas could use some refinement.
 
Which is why we try to promote a friendly atmosphere, so people will be happy to post things, in the knowledge that they will receive constructive criticism, rather than posts like


which doesn't help and only makes people feel bad!
 
it does make me laugh when people go off on one about what can and cannot be done in a fantasy genre, so elves cannot be made into vampires in the literal sense, how about thinking outside the box and say that he picked up/created a ring/amulet/sword which has bestowed/cursed him with unlife, the beauty of an open ended story is that NOTHING is set in stone

I myself have my army set around a small noble family who were dying, the younger sister who dabbled in magic has unwittingly used a combination of necromancy and alchemy to "preserve" each member with varying degrees of success, my zombies are her lesser experiments made from the remnants of the local populace, when I finally get round to making them, I intend to make vargiests which are essentially flesh golems, im really going with the whole frankenstien theme :)

basically, she is saving mummy, daddy and her husband till she gets it right ;)

also as my vampires are not traditional vamps, im not tied to the whole sylvanian/nagash/lamian lore :)
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu