• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Farmer's Greenskins

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@The Sun King Cheers!

Small areas with a lot of detail (like faces) don't really need the final step, it's mostly large rounded areas (squigs' bodies and orcs' muscles) that crave this attention since they benefit from as many tones as possible.

It probably goes without saying, but it's also best not to overload your brush.

By the way, do you have a plog I can check out?

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
I used to be a clicker in wow, and through time I learnt to keybind, it was tough but I did it!

I drybrush nearly everything, I need to learn to blend, it'll be tough but I must do it!.

I've got a bad ass daemon prince to paint, going to practice on some mantic orcs I have first, anyone know any good teaching video/blogs? (not to hijack you're amazing pictures thread farmer)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
I used to be a clicker in wow, and through time I learnt to keybind, it was tough but I did it!)
@Draykorinee I was always a clicker and never got along with key binding, hah.

I'm sure you'd be able to find some decent tutorials on YouTube for blending, or even here on CN! I don't think my blending is particularly good, hence the reason I hit the lightest colour then go back to the previous layer to straighten things out. Hey ho, it seems to work alright though :)

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Thanks, and yes, I really should... Being a mod here takes most of the time though. The paradoxical thing is that I'm a film director and therefor should be pretty enthusiastic about taking pictures.

The Sun King

Imperator
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Not at all, I've done some underground fiction flicks in Denmark and I work for a publishing house now so I mostly do educational stuff and animate children's books :)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Woooooooooooooooo

Well yeah, you know... awesome stuff man! xD

Orcs are also an additional army for me and I am getting ready to get all those lots of dudes painted someday and you have here a fine piece of inspiration. Not only you are using a desert/dryland theme as I intend to do, but also all of your orcs colors are quite dulled - I really like that. And that's quite unlike WoW orcs, isn't it? I remember that blizzard games are usually VERY colorful. But well, nvm.

Sweet work on the skin and I appreciate the tutorial you posted earlier. I guess I also need to get some consistent method of doing it - undeads can have different skintones, but orcs should be consistent. Also, that part with the final highlight and blending it with the previous color - I need to try that. Painting all the numbers of dudes and still keeping them well and clean painted must be quite a task, isn't it?

I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll surely come back here for some inspiration later xD
Cheers and good luck :thumbsup:

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Cheers buddy. I've done them in WoW colours and based them like a place like Durotar or Badlands. I like the reddish arid landscape, but haven't decided on how to finish the bases yet, dead or scorched grass. I've used those colours, more or less, but didn't want the vividness of the WoW palette, so dulled them down.

Yeh, that many orcs have taken a fair bit of time. Doing 10 boyz at a time was a bit of a drag because of the skin, but the goblins were pretty straight forward to do. I've nearly finished getting this army to where I want it to be now and it'll only be several weeks until I can wrap it up and start getting some paint on my VC guys. I might need to pick your brains too, if you don't mind.

Cheers for the comments and glad you like what you see.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
They are indeed characterful and once again I am impressed with the cleaniness of the paintjob :thumbsup:

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Cheers mate, I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. I like painting NGs but it just sucks at the end when I have to highlight all their robes. :slapface:

Other than that they're one of my favourite races in Warhammer. Their comical retarded ideas are just awesome.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I have bought these guys not so long ago, but haven't seem then up close yet (they are waiting for me in Poland). I knew they are fine miniatures and your painting makes that even clearer ;) Well done.

I didn't know goblins could get as buff as these guys xD

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Cheers! Well these models are awesome, so you've got that waiting for you when you're back in Poland! (I guess you're studying/working abroad?)

The one with the shield seems to have more areas to paint than meets the eye... But that's just my picky choice of colours. I was going to do the shield red like my banners but it looked too colourful, so I painted it like black metal in my army.

@ObliviJohn Thanks man, I like to have everything looking tidy on my minis. I remember hearing that Finnish people always take a little longer to do things but do a good job rather than half of one. I'm not Finnish, but hey, like they do in Finland! :)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Dark Prince Thanks for the praise, buddy! I'm glad you like what I've done here.

OnG are pretty fun to paint and have a lot of character to them. Shed loads of conversion possibilities too!

I never actually planned to start this army, I just picked up a box to give me something different to do for a few weeks then got kinda hooked on painting them (that was 18 months ago xD).

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Tjhammer Cheers! Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with it but that be changing soon!

I've been on a bit of a painting hiatus lately due to the brutally humid weather over here in China. I got 5 hoppers and a few more squigs done at the end of July but have yet to get some decent pictures of them. I'll try to get them done this week as this plog has been a bit dormant lately.

Gladly it has cooled down, and look what showed up in the mail:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi60.tinypic.com%2Fdvlg84.jpg&hash=30867b427f5970ccd8b98a9a4094698d

These guys are the last ones required to finish the unit (for now), then I'll be cracking on with my VC.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dude, it's weird. I was thinking how nice the weather has been here lately today, and suddenly I was like "If it was like this in China maybe I'd get some Greenskins out of Farmer for a change."

I think that's weird. I'm pretty sure that's weird.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Adam_Barrow Hah, I'm totally sure that's pretty weird yet ... so true!

I've amassed another 90+ night goblins and a shed load of other stuff over the last few months, but they're on hold until some skeletons and zombies are walking the earth.