• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Farmer's Undead

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
I'll be using him for a game me and a friend have written. I'm still brainstorming schemes. I found a metal model, so short of a potential weapon swap the model itself may stay as packaged.

Eyeless

Wight King
Great work man =] Been waiting for this plog for some time and wasn't disappointed :) really nice job on the bases and those trees look awesome =D same can be said for the paint jobs =]

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
I got the bone finished on this batch the other day and all that remains left to do is a couple of colours on the blue clothing, a highlight on the metal and then these guys can be based. Not too much left to do.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FMH5pFpsF%2F0015.jpg&hash=f988466109be071444f61b30b40de856

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2Fk451bj0R%2F0016.jpg&hash=2ce38f69a919a41271ad6ff54399232f

Should have them done at some point next week. I've found that 11 is a bit too many for a batch as I layer the bones, but nonetheless it's a good foundation for the unit. I think I'll stick to 5 next time to keep my interest and keep progress more frequent.

@Eyeless Glad you like what I’ve got going on here. Very early days yet but it’s a start. The idea is to run the forest basing throughout the army, and add to it using some fillers here and there.

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Even without seeing them in your thread, I would recognize these as your work, quite a distinctive style ;) Strangely clean for skeletons, but they are definitely awesome nevertheless. I am eagerly waiting to see a whole unit of them. Also, without your remark @ObliviJohn I wouldn't even notice it. So people sell birch seeds or you gathered so much of them - either way it's quite crazy! xD

Leithel

Grave Guard
@Farmer7574 Yeah I know what you mean when it comes to big batches. I did my skeletons in batches of 13 and by the end it was a really hard slog. You've got some nice clean crisp lines there to make some good looking dry skeletons. My only suggestion would be that you could increase the contrast on the highlights a little, but that would mean lots of blending that could be very tedious for rank and file. Nice work, can't wait to see the whole unit.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Here we go. Fresh off the table is the first bunch of skeleton warriors:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FkG6Tj2Xn%2F0017.jpg&hash=cdc60778965c2dafa283b03b035e6e06

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2Fx8wtB9cL%2F0018.jpg&hash=ff7618f496191a8a290f91678b88a24a

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FpV3vP8jJ%2F0019.jpg&hash=e563884ff0418861b506f7c3e669f111

These are the first minis so far that have the blue army colour on them and I think they've turned out quite well. There was a brief moment where I was second-guessing the metal (again), but after doing the final highlight on it I’ve decided that I’m happy with it. Although it's not the most realistic looking rust effect around, I'm a fan of how it works with the other colours as a whole.

@ObliviJohn Yeah mate, I’ve played around with a few different styles of bone before and prefer a clean look from layering rather than dry brushing. That pot of leaves came with free bugs too...

@Borgnine Cheers! The foundations for the unit are complete. I’ll be doing more soon as these guys look a little lonely on their own. I might have a go at doing a filler to see how it fits in a tidily ranked unit like skeletons.

Also, I took yours and @Adam_Barrow 's advice and added more leaves this time. Still not completely leaf-saturated but what are your thoughts on these bases?

@Leithel Thanks man, I’m glad you like the highlights. There’s actually a better contrast than what that second WIP picture suggests due to lighting. I’m not going to highlight further for core units but might pick out more detail on more important minis.

That's all for now, more coming later. Cheers.

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I think the bases work awesome the way they are now, especially on these skeletons - the leaves match the color of the bones while dirt matches the blue clothes - covering it up too much with leaves would ruin this fine harmony in my opinion ;) It is still open up for experiments on non-bony non-clothy miniatures :)

Leithel

Grave Guard
Yeah you're right, the highlights come through a lot better on the last batch of photos. Tell me, how much time did it take you to do the batch? It looks like very detailed and meticulous work. Great work, they look fantastic.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
I've spent the last few hours sticking a few more skeletons together and had a crack at doing a unit filler. This is what I've got so far:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FW1wcmHH5%2F0020.jpg&hash=1e56c50c647b1737e3b1a371c2d4599e

I'm doing a filler to get some more visible trees in the unit & add to the theme, but am wandering if it'll look out of place in a tidily-ranking unit like skeletons, so this one's a bit of an experiment. I got some decorative resin bases from the net a while ago and decided to use one of them here, then reposition a skeleton's leg to make it as though he's ascending over the fallen trunk. Speaking of which - that guy needs some greenstuff straps to hold that breastplate on.

I've also been playing around with this idea:

And if you're going to simulate some wind there - how about a skeleton that's trying to remove the leaf that flew just right into his face? ;)
Although the skeletal infantry all appear to have wind blowing from behind them, this is a fun idea and I just had to try it out, so I've done a little conversion to make this:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2F7LP8KNvw%2F0021.jpg&hash=5aec4db59c429434b6e4eb8c5001f8b6

I've got a few more random skeletons assembled too, which bumps this unit to 20 once the filler's done.

@Borgnine @Leithel Thanks for the feedback chaps! Not sure how long they took but a rough guess would be 40-50 hours from start to finish. I'm a fairly slow painter and prefer to take my time with stuff.

Let me know your thoughts about the WIP. Cheers!

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I eagerly wait to see your filler experiment done, as I am thinking as you, that skeletons would look weird with their rank-i-ness disrupted with fillers, nice of you for showing it to us :) Good thing with the leaf'd skeleton xD "Even when travelling downwind I still get leaves in my face!" Still, I think that if his hand would be closer to his face it could look better. Also, is that an etched brass leaf? Or some other gadget?

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Cheers mate. Yeah that's an etched brass leaf I bent into shape with a pair of pliers.

I was thinking the same thing about the leaf victim's arm, so think I'll find a more suitable one from the many spares lying around. I'd also prefer the hand to be open as though he's just about to grab the leaf, but I'm not sure if I have anything like that.

I got all the other prep work done last night so should be ready for a bit of paint today.

Last edited:

Leithel

Grave Guard
I used fillers in my skeletons, but the mantic ones have a very different feel from the GW ones. Less rank and file and more hoardy. Nice brass leaves, where did you get them from? They're very cool.

Eyeless

Wight King
That's a nice filler there man. The only thing i miss from old Fantasy are unit fillers and character customisation =]

Sessioni

Black Knight
@Farmer7574 Those skeletons look very nice, Farmer provides again :) Very clean painting, and to praise your bases even more, I think they're best looking bases I've seen in a long time. The filler is looking nice, but I know the problem. I have also made a unit filler for my skeleton warriors, but I haven't bothered to paint it yet, because I think it don't fit at all because of the "disciplined" feeling the skeleton warriors have. Maybe if you used more fillers, different sizes too, I think it could work a lot better that way. Also the movement tray you're going to (?) make could help achieving the atmosphere you're looking for. You know, putting some trees, foliage and stones on the edges of the tray. Anyways, we're all looking forward the next update :thumbsup:

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Just need to do the fingers & toes and tidy up a few areas then the bone is done on this batch. Progress so far:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2F26Js8R1S%2F0022.jpg&hash=e4ee8d5a7290d2270fb18ea12128e88f

I'm not sure if you remember this mini but he's one of the test minis from the first page. Everything on him is complete except for the base and the metal which needs repainting, so I gave this guy a blu-tac coat to stop the messy process of painting the metal from ruining the other areas of the mini.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FZYvksRQB%2F0023.jpg&hash=3b532f22383f58f5beaeb744a47e7013

It seemed to work out alright!

@Leithel Yeh mate, I can see how Mantic skeletons would be better suited for accommodating unit fillers but I’m not a big fan of those gigantic frowns they have on their faces. They look cool but a little too comical for my taste. The brass leaves are from the Warhammer Basing Kit’s brass frame. I’ve had them for a while and have now found a use for them.

@Eyeless Cheers buddy, I think it is coming along alright.

@Blutsauger Missed your post a while back mate, and have just checked out your plog again. You’re right, we do have pretty similar looking skellies going on!

@Sessioni Cheers for the comment! I’m glad you like what I’m doing here mate. I plan on doing a couple of fillers if they work out alright. Also, you’re on to something there too – I hadn’t bothered thinking about making movement trays yet but making them to match the theme wouldn’t be a bad idea!

That's all for now, I'll hopefully have these done at some point next week. Cheers.

Last edited:
I love your skellies. Beautiful, clean paint scheme on the bone, and the "messy" metal speaks for itself, although embalming every skeleton in a blu-tac tomb and then removing it seems very time-consuming to me!

Love the guy with the leaf in his face. I live in New Hampshire and can attest that even when there's a strong prevailing wind in ONE direction, you frequently get bursts that go the opposite way, so I have no problem with the leaf blowing backwards in relation to the unit, contrary to how they're modeled. The expression and head placing is brilliant!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Update time! I've just got the second wave of skeletons done, so here's a pic:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FHWqqqmGS%2F0024.jpg&hash=f6669b83212a61d01792ba8508212133

And here's the unit so far:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FzXTs5Q8q%2F0025.jpg&hash=030d56ec74e2993a7a3b61da4427f71d

I think the filler fits alright. It seems a bit out of place with just one in there, but I think that might be down to having the only tall tree there. I’m wandering if a few single base tree fillers would work amongst these guys. I might make a few just to see how they work. If they aren’t suitable then I could just use them in a bunch of zombies or ghouls in the future.

Here are a few shots of the finished filler:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2Fx1RBNbX7%2F0026.jpg&hash=82a840248e42c369ff5553a3f48e12e1

And the guy battling the elements:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FCKxXGLDK%2F0027.jpg&hash=062e3e89e2094970bd0562e817f95a00

I like how this guy has turned out. I've now gotta do a completely naked skeleton with a leaf covering his nether regions...

And some work I did on the backs of some of the shields:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FQMYP0GkJ%2F0028.jpg&hash=f77e7162334cd6724823bef2d70ddfbd

I'm surprised at how there's no wood details on the backs. Laziness, GW! :)

That's all the pics I've got for now. Stuff coming in the near future: I’m starting on another bunch of skeletons with the command group, bumping this merry bunch of skinless chaps to 30! I'm thinking about doing a character model too, but I’m not sure what to paint yet…

@benvoliothefirst Cheers mate. Gladly, the blu-tac job wasn’t very time-consuming and was just a one-off as this guy was painted as a test model to work out the colour scheme. My test minis all had more or less the same scheme but with different metal work, so it was just those areas that required repainting. I usually do the metal first as it’s quite a messy task.

Regarding the ‘weather victim’, I’m glad you like him. I’m pretty happy with the overall pose. One thing which would help capture the effect more is the right eye being closed - but alas, he doesn’t have eye lids.

For the new leaves, maybe pay attention to piling some up on the windward side of the trunks and stones and things. They'll get blown against those obstacles by the wind and tend to pile up there. That may give you more leaves with enough open ground between them to still be an accent.
I tried this out today whilst adding leaves to these & the wolves' bases - it worked out pretty well, cheers for the top tip!

Thanks for taking a look guys! Let me know your thoughts. Cheers.

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Wondrous skellies! I am not sold on the filler - it seems I like my skellies uniform ;) That doesn't diminish the filler's quality of course, it's awesome! Maybe more such filler bases would somehow balance the amount and make it smoother? Skeleton with the leaf is also great - put him in the front rank! xD

Also, you are very patient and ambitious for painting the back of the shields so carefully ;) I didn't even bother and left them black - they are really hard to see in most of the situations ;)

Leithel

Grave Guard
Yeah I'm with @Borgnine , I don't paint the back of the shields either other than what is clearly visible. Fantastic skeletons @Farmer7574 . I like the unit filler, it fits in with the unit quite well. As usual your bases really make the unit. I think it owuld be good to see some of your other completed units photographed all together too.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
I didn't have much time to start anything new before heading back to work for the weekend, so played around with a few colours.

Here's a rough concept for my ethereal units:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2Fsx7NjBFT%2F0029.jpg&hash=ccae0f77fe48f1efbbd51e079c6fb77b

I'm going for a look that suggests the mini is resonating with unnatural energy & ghostly light. I think the blending is a bit rough on this test mini and leaves room for improvement, but this gives a decent general feel of what the finished models would look like.

What are everyone's thoughts on the colours?

@Adam_Barrow It seems to have fit in better than I’d expected. I think that’s down to the lighter-toned bases making the broken formation stand out less like a sore thumb. More in the works…

@Borgnine Yeah, I can totally see that. My indecisiveness puts me on the line between a perfectly ranked unit and fillers breaking that tidiness. :) I’ll do another filler with the next batch and perhaps some single tree fillers to see how they impact the unit.

And yeah, the leaf victim is getting front row seats when the command rank is done.

@Leithel I used to paint the backs of the shields plain silver, but I thought adding some lines on the wooden ones is a quick job that makes them look better when looking at them closely. A fair trade for the time they took. :cool:

Cheers for the feedback gents!

Last edited:

Leithel

Grave Guard
Hey yeah I like the colours. On a larger model it might be a little bright, perhaps a longer gradient into the eye sockets and into the brighter areas from the dark would help with that. It will certainly be unique and very impressive to see a whole ethereal model built this way, I'm keen to see the result.

Eyeless

Wight King
Sick unit filler man! love it and that unit looks just great, even though i tend to go for less uniformity in my skeletons. I like the idea of single long tree fillers. looking forward to see some.
As for the ethereals i dig that scheme! i tried to do something similar for mine but it didn't turn out as good as i hoped so i went with something a bit different. Can you post a tutorial on how you achieved that pls?