• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Favourite non-Vampire Counts army

Apart from Vampire Counts, what is your favourite Warhammer Fantasy army?

• Skaven

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Brettonia

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Empire

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Warriors of Chaos

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Daemons of Chaos

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Tomb Kings

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • High Elves

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dark Elves

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Wood Elves

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Orcs and Goblins

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Ogre Kingdoms

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Beastmen

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Dwarfs

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Lizardmen

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
I would go Brets. I think they are truly the equivalent of VC to the forces of order. While the VCs are a mockery and distortion of knightly vows and pheasantry blocks, brets are the shining opposite..... and they are magnificent!

Brets are my top choice! I have a lovely calvary arm. there is just something so resplendant about a bunch of knihts charging off...to their doom :)

ironically though, my two armies of brets are Mousillon and King Louen, which is fantastic considering The End Times book is out. I have such plans for a Bretonian/Vampire Counts allied army.

HERO

Wight King
I have High Elves, they were my first army. Second army was Dwarfs, followed by VC. However, I have since parted with my Dwarfs, so now I'm all Undead Elves!

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
I still haven't played every army yet, but I really like Beastmen and Wood Elves. If Beastmen were to get an update, there is a very high chance that I would start a new army. I am also really digging Undead Legions so far.

Alastor

Black Knight
I love WoC, I think it's the aesthetics. Never owned them or played with them or anything but I think it would be between them and Skaven next time I fancy an army change.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Would it be cheating to say Undead Legions?
Considering Undead Legions is VC/TK combined, but you can still play either as a stand alone or an alliance (though why you wouldn't just combine them at that stage I don't know), they would be a separate entry...but there doesn't seem any way to add/remove polling options.

I'll take that down as a vote if you like.

BloodbathMcGrath

The Butcher of New Liberty
I chose greenskins for their wily antics and huge hordes of guys who just like to beat people up. Play wise, they have just about the most options for any army, many of which can be as ridiculous and silly as orcs themselves. Also they are the army that when you play, you feel very orky at times :)

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Beastmen. The true children of chaos.

Always had an interest in the extreme of thoughts and behavior. Sort of what would happen when things go completely unhinged. Probably why I enjoy creepypastas so much(russian sleep experiment being my favourite), the Strigoi and Necrarch(two different sides of insanity), and Dark Eldar(haemonculi covens, mandrakes, and scourges in particular).

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
@Danceman, that sounds pretty much like Slaanesh to me. Imagine any feeling or any interest you might have; take it to its uttermost extreme and you'll be in Slaanesh territory. I don't think that GW covers this very well in the fluff.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
I chose greenskins for their wily antics and huge hordes of guys who just like to beat people up. Play wise, they have just about the most options for any army, many of which can be as ridiculous and silly as orcs themselves. Also they are the army that when you play, you feel very orky at times :)
And it's just as fun losing as winning, I imagine.

Danceman

True Blood
@MasterSpark I might fall under the umbrella of Slaanesh, but I believe Slaanesh is a bit too narrow in scope. Unleashing the beast within, pushing the mind(insanity, etc, etc) is a different kind of pursuit. Slaanesh demand worship, and my fascination is something more base or primal. Think Reavers from Firefly/Serenity, whatever was on the other side in the movie Event Horizon. Sort of like "peering deep into the abyss untill the abyss is looking back at you."

Dark Eldar are probably the best example GW has to offer. They don't care about Slaanesh as something to worship, but an obstacle to deal with, to cheat, and being willing to go as far as nessecary. The haemonculi have argubly beat Slaanesh since even in death Slaanesh cannot claim them.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
@Danceman, I think I follow what you're saying. Slaanesh to me seems more about the utter corruption of good intentions while you're on about a deliberate choice to become the beast. Two sides of the same coin I'd say, and you'll end up with something really nasty either way. :)

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Slaanesh is about pleasures and perfections in all their forms, both for the body and soul. As for the intentions, they are always corrupted this way or that, it matters not. The Dark Gods are by no means tied to that.
And as for me, after all I go for the High Elves besides my starting Vampire Counts. Look of beautiful stylish, medieval Chinese-looking elves marching on the battlefield is stunning.

Danceman

True Blood
@Menkeroth The Dark Gods do cover a lot but for, for example, aggression does not automatically mean you end up with Khorne or the pursuit of knowledge does not mean you will fall prey to Tzeentch. Dark Elves, as another example, exert dominance over daemons with their sorcery. Slaanesh followers seem to become removed from fear, vain, become aloof, and self-centered. The stuff I am talking about would probably fall under more obscure gods such, well, Obscuras(often tied to dark magic and necromancy), however, it still wouldn't be the same thing.

There might be a connection to the dark gods, ie, through the dark deeds and extreme behaviour, but the important distinction I want to make is that it isn't chaos worship or turning to any of the dark gods. I guess you could say the Dark Eldar has become more like Slaanesh than its followers, and though their depraved acts serve themselves it also fuels Slaanesh... I see your point.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Of course they cover a lot of things, they have to. But they do not corrupt any intentions or such staff,for they are the humanity's nature, what we consist of. It's always a matter of how far you are ready to go after all.

And you are right, the Dark Gods need no worshipping to become stronger, but they elevate and strengthen only their followers, which is quite logically I'd say. Nothing more. And yes, the DE are the best example of that, I agree.

I choose Ogre Kingdoms because they are just so much fun(game and fluff wise), and can be converted to any theme the painter wish. They are literally a blank slate. Also I love to eat ;)