Fighting a Bastiladon

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
799
Zombies
539
So at my local GW I'm going up against a guy who fields a bastiladon. I have no idea how to defeat it. It has Impervious Defense. This gives it immune to rend and a 4+ save against mortal wounds. He often casts mystic shield on it giving it a 2+ save. How can I deal with this?
 
First, Chaff it with Spirit Hosts or any other unit you believe can hold against it. Necrosphinx or the sorts. Then, go snipe his Wizards with Morghasts, Vargheists, Arcane Bolts, Sepulchral Stalkers, etc. You can bring a Mortis Engine too + Corpse Cart to discourage spellcasting, and even a Liche Priest with his dispel scrolls in a critical moment when you need to attack it with everything you've got.

It has 8 wounds, and a ton of save, but it's not infalible. Some attacks will pierce through and I don't remember if it can be easily healed...

It's certainly difficult, yes, but can be dealt with. Massive Zombie attacks should do the trick as well, since it doesn't matter the attack's quality over quantity, and zombies dish out more consistent base damage than, say Grave Guard (that we want to split armored units in half). Also, try and see if you can use Neferata's Dagger of Jet or the Wight King's Black Axe to bear. Even a single wound inflicted can destroy the monster.

Necrosphinx's decapitating strike is a massive damage output that a 4+ "ward" will not stop on it's full.

But if you really hate the thing, go for Nagash's Hand of Dust spell. That will take care of it :D!
 
Hey can you tell me how your opponent is using the bastilidon? My friend uses one against me and we find it extremely lacklustre. It doesn't have a high damage output so I tend to just ignore it. It is essentially immune to spells but with only 8 wounds and no regeneration it does fall. I guess it is pretty good vs ranged armies as a 2+ save with rerolls from the slann is impervious and can shield the advance of other units but against us undead with limited range options it's ok I think.
 
He uses the Thunderquake Staehoast and the Astrolith Bearer so that it gets to heal and reroll hits. He plants it on objectives. We usually play with objectives. He also uses it's Searing Beam a lot. With 2d6 rerollable hits, damage 2 shots he likes to try and take out my hero's.
I'm not losing the game just due to this model but I just didn't have a counter for it.
 
Ignoring it is the best tactic, especially if hes casting mystic shield. Anvils have an advantage in objective based games. If that's the case I would say counter with the best anvil undead has to offer; the Necrosphinx can contest the objective while being equally hard to kill, but with a much better damage potential especially against the bastiladon. Add in Vlad Von Carstein for +1 run, charge and wound rolls for your sphinx and you can get to that bastiladon quick and show him what happens when you try to mess with the undead.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Oppenheimer
Totally changed my mind on this. Came up against one who ran the ark of sotek. I foolishly ignored it and grouped up around it and started losing 12 wounds every combat phase. With a mystic shield, rend immunity and a spell ward the thing is monstrous. Next time I'm gonna try avoiding it entirely and in an objectives game blow it up by targeting it with spells and hoping to get through.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Oppenheimer
It is, in theory. However you have to account for random attacks, To Hit and To Wound rolls and that tends to be either glorious or messy.

Ark of Sotek is much better *when* you get to choose all 6 units within it's limit as all 12 dice you'll roll will hit something.

We have a new unit that will munch said unit now. It's called Mournghul. Neferata loves them. They love Neferata. It is awesome!
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu