First game against wood elves 1500pts

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Jun 29, 2013
147
south east uk
Zombies
103
Hi all

I posted earlier about making an army. I have now found out that im facing a wood elf army at 1500pts this is what ive come up with. Any info or pointers would be great. This is my first game in years well looking forward to it.

Master Necromancer Talisman of Preservation.

Vampire
Lance Shield; Skeletal Steed; Sword of Swift Slaying; Armour of Silvered Steel; Red Fury.

Zombies x 30 Standard Bearer.

Zombies x 30 Standard Bearer.

Skeleton Warriors x 21
Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield.Standard Bearer.

Dire Wolves x 5
Dire Wolves x 5

Black Knights x 8 Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield.
Lance; Banner of the Barrows.

Crypt Horrors x 5

Terrorgheist


Cheers

Billy
 
Master Necromancer Talisman of Preservation.

No lvl 4 upgrade? ;)

Vampire, Lance Shield; Skeletal Steed; Sword of Swift Slaying; Armour of Silvered Steel; Red Fury.

Vamp's can only buy barbed nightmares, not skeletal steeds. Also, you can't sure both the lance and the sword of swift slaying in the same turn, as far as I know. Also, the Armour of Silvered Steel is horribly ineffective on a mounted model, as you can get a 2+ or 3+ much cheaper (mounted + barding + heavy armour + shield)

Zombies x 30 Standard Bearer.

Zombies x 30 Standard Bearer.

Skeleton Warriors x 21
Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield.Standard Bearer.

Dire Wolves x 5
Dire Wolves x 5

All good, except for the skeletons. They are way to small to take hits or dish out damage. I suggest absorbing them into more other core to still fill the minimum 25%. Also, consider splitting the zombies up 3x20, or 2x20 and 1 larger unit. This will help you get more mileage out of your invocations.

Black Knights x 8 Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield.
Lance; Banner of the Barrows.

No full command? You can't even take the BotB without paying for the standard fist. Besides, it is WAY to many points for only 8/9 attacks. Drop it and use the points for barding.

Crypt Horrors x 5

Terrorgheist

No problems here, crypt horrors should be able to last when supported by the necromancer. I prefer a few more models in the unit though.
 
Hey cheers for the input

So it should read something closer to this then

Master Necromancer level 4 Talisman of Preservation.

Vampire
Shield; heavy armour, barded; Sword of Swift Slaying; Red Fury.

Zombies x 35 Standard Bearer.

Zombies x 30 Standard Bearer.

Zombies x 30 Standard Bearer.

Dire Wolves x 5
Dire Wolves x 5

Black Knights x 8 Hand Weapon; full command, Heavy Armour; Shield.
Lance; Banner of the Barrows.

Crypt Horrors x 6

Terrorgheist
 
Me likey. I would give the vampire lore of shadow just for the signature, it helps black knights carve trough everything by reducing either WS or I. And for the 5+ to cast it draws out dispel dice very easily.
 
I'm close to liking it a lot. although there are a few other pointers.

1. Drop the sword of swift slaying. You'll be hitting on 3's anyways but you'll probably be wounding on 3's also, I would give your vamp a lance so you can get the S7 on the charge! then you can maximize red fury! You're initiative is going to be equal to or higher than the elves aaannnd they aren't madfe for fighting, and you are!

2. Those black knights reallllyyyy need the lances bad! Like really bad!

Other than those 2 things I would say go for it! you'll do fine even if you don't incorperate my suggestions.
 
Hey cheers for the heads up. Ive not looked into law of shadow only lore of death and vampires. I was thinking of going for lore of vamps just to raise black knights when they fall. You think it would be better to go for a debuff based strategy with the vamp?

Cheers Corien I wasn't sure if I would get the re rolls to hit, with the sword of swift slaying. If the initiative is the same it does make more sense to go for the lance. So lances all round for the black knights and law of shadow for the vamp.

Nice one
This is gonna be awesome
 
Actually I personally would say screw the lance. They're all T3 and their saves suck anyway, so there isn't a huge difference when fighting infantry. I would get a sword of battle or, if you can find the points, a sword of strife for more attacks. 1/2 extra attacks which also benefit from red fury... maybe a vanhels... That's a lot of dead pointy eared treehuggers!

The reason I would prefer to take the shadow signature over invocation is that with a lvl 1, you will only resurrect 2 black knights anyway. And you would probably always have to throw 2+ dice at it, as you need to roll a 5. The shadow signature will need a roll of 4 or better, meaning you can 1 dice it with a 50/50 shot, or 2 dice it for almost guaranteed success. Plus it draws out dispel dice like a champ, purely for the psychological effect it has on your opponents :thumbsup:
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu