Geralt of Rivia joins the Kislev! More Kislev units and an army picture

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Hello generals of the night!

It's been months since I've held a brush in my hand but I hope the masters don't mind me “resurrect” this project log and if they do, please inform.

I've moved around a lot and finally settled down in a new apartment. I spent the weekend unpacking the hobby hopefully for the last time and even made some progress on the converted Undead Legion. The result is a somewhat homemade Casket of Souls. I took @Adam_Barrow's advice and bought a reaper coffin, great advice man!

8F59771D-6E8C-4F28-99E3-E4ED9CB9459A_zpsuwbg5hiq.webp


It works splendid as a Casket! The base for this model is a cheap coaster from Ikea made of cork. Beneath it is a stabilizing base made from an ice-cream bucket lid. Then I've added some bits and skulls to make it more thematic.

If anyone would like to comment, I wonder if I should ad more skulls? I like the overall look of the Casket but I'm wondering if it's to plain? I'm going to add some spirits or magic shooting out of the coffin so don't worry about that.

The moving around part wasn't the only thing keeping me from the hobby. The day GW decided to end WHFB my group of friends gradually lost all interest. These are basically the only ones I play with so to say it put of my motivation is a grave understatement. We ultimately landed on 9th Age to try keeping the spirit going. We don't care about the fluff of 9th Age but the rules are fun and balanced and most of all their community is growing very rapidly.
 
Looks awesome! Have you thought about the Casket Guard or the wizard guy you'll put on it yet? And I feel you about groups losing interest. I've played two battles in the last 8 months. But the hobby side of it is still plenty of backlog to have fun with.
 
Looks great. One thing I may suggest, instead of the weapon laying around with arm attached etc would be to snip arm off and maybe tip of sword and attach it as if it were stabbed into the ground. Gives a little more character to the idea. Or maybe even take a skel missing arm/legs and bury it in the chest making it look like a fallen warrior etc.

just a thought.


Sorry to hear group is falling apart, thankfully AoS is starting to really take off here in Arizona.
 
Good to see you back @Nagash Worshiper :)

I would add skulls, but not just flat on the ground, piling them up towards the casket maybe, if you've got enough skulls :D
I don't understand people who stop playing when GW releases new rules. Maybe if you play at the local official gaming clubs, but in my group of friends we are not tied in any higher power who tells us which rules to use. We continue playing 8th edition almost weekly, 5 players, 9 different armies. I have all the expansions (Triumph&Treachery, Blood in the Badlands, Storm of Magic) to make basic 8th ed. games more interesting. But it is good to hear you are going for the 9th edition, it sounds very good set of rules, but I want to wait till it's truly finished.
Anyways, keep your plog rolling now that you have settled :thumbsup:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dragonet
@Adam_Barrow
Thanks! I'm thinking of using some old Grave Guard models that haven't seen use in a long time as the Casket Guard and the role of wizard will go to a skeleton wizard... with a tall hat... to address his station as one of the higher ranking within the theology of Nagashizar ;)

@Mad 'At
Thank you it feels good to be back :)
Yeah the 9th age website feels so alive with activity and I'm hoping it will stay that way! I've seen you around there but haven't contributed much myself (I'm such a lurker)

@Mnemloch
Thank you for the good advice! I'll add a few more things and then probably remove it, just want see the model more finished before I start removing stuff. Great to hear AoS is going well over there!

@Sessioni
Thanks man it's good to be back :)
Good advice but sadly my storage of skulls is limited and I've further plans for it so won't have enough to pole them un top of each other.
Ah we'll you see it wasn't so much that my friends were quitting in response to the company's new direction but more of a gradual trend of conversations starting and ending something like: "wonder when my Beastmen will get an upda... Oh right" that slowly shifted my friends attention to other stuff. There's now a second wind of interest blowing and we've actually talked about implementing T&T and Storm of Magic with the 9th age core rule set :).

More updates will be coming soon!
 
@Nagash Worshiper Nice to see you back in action, I'm also in the process of packing & moving and it's no fun boxing stuff up instead of hobbying when you get spare time!

The casket choice is nice and the guard are looking pretty cool, nice conversions of the old grave guard bearer. I'm looking forward to seeing how your liche turns out!
 
It's coming up nicely! I agree with @Sessioni , if you add more skulls, make them in a pile :) Other than that, some rocks and other non-skull scenery could also enchance it well. The guards are cool and I am also waiting for the lich ;]

I'm also envious of @Sessioni for habing a tight gaming group - how much would I like to have that xD
 
Your casket reminds me of 'The last crusade :D I feel sorry for your paints, they are not cheap and it takes a while to buy all the ones you really need. Almost every time I go to a local hobby store to buy some paints I forget the one particular paint I was going to buy. Btw, good choice for the liche priest! :thumbsup:

edit. Forgot to mention, the magical energies coming out of casket is great. Only thing I wonder is how you're going to get your brush on the skulls underneath it :D
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Dragonet
Love the cloak idea. Shitty about the paints. I was painting at the GW waiting for a table to open and ended up buying another handful of paints to try things out
 
Good use of Arkhan! Much better than staying in a sprue ;) The cloak is also a top idea. It's all coming up great. But what happened with Arkhan's fancy staff top? Also, how did you solve the matter of his legs? Is he still straddling that Abyssal behind the coffin? ;)

Also, my condolences about the paints. Did the open during the moving? Got crushed?
 
@Sessioni
Haha, spot on! Fantastic movie (it's the one with the grail right? No wait...) and a major inspiration for this one but then again, maybe all CoS's are? ;)
Now I just need to add a melting nazi.
Yeah it sucks, my friend told me I could use some of his soon until I get back on my feet :)
Thx! Glad you like it! I wasn't sure at first but it's growing on me. The casket can be opened and the "rays" removed :)
D76AE97A-FACD-4211-AFC3-EEE0996B6734_zps9ysbwgod.webp

B2694250-4EED-4459-B7A2-C823191779B2_zpsorimbwne.webp


@der vued
Thank you sir! Much better than having it stuck in the bitz box for ages ;)

@Mnemloch
Well that sounds excellent! I look forward to seeing that paint on your future work!

@Adam_Barrow
Thx man! Coming from you I'm honored.

@Borgnine
Thank you good sir! I must say I'm a big fan of your Nagash! Alas, the staff top (along with Arkhies high neck thing) was removed to make this Liche priest more mundane.
It isn't really supposed to be Arkhan but a mortuary cult priest from Nagashizzar, thereby the hat.
The "energy" from Arkhans staff is attached to his hand now so that he channels it into the casket.
D00E8740-E517-4B7E-A269-BDF4A5E1F4E7_zpsged8vx8l.webp

Hehe, maybe ;) nah the legs are made from HE archer legs and empire knights legs :).
DF70A485-26AA-4D10-96F5-7AAC757C7B6D_zpsffrjg164.webp
 
So, with no paint to put on my miniatures (the box of paint was crushed in the moving van @Borgnine) I guess the best thing to do is just keep building! An Undead force doesn't create itself.
At the moment I've about three necromancers on foot and two on nightmares but none mounted on an abyssal terror. Luckily this feathery gentleman has volunteered as test subject:
07D19099-9802-49BD-9B62-04DA5D37DC9D_zpsu35i8qds.webp


First thing I did was removing the HE prince. Then I went on and removed the wings, to much feathers for my taste, and replaced them with the old dragon wings. I wanted to capture the image of this Necromancer as a mad seeker of higher understanding in necromancy and thus this ridden creature has been altered over time as he's constantly coming up with new ideas and experiments to test. So if I add another cranium, will it affect the creatures reflexes in combat? What if I add a further one?
106E24AB-F205-43DB-90B9-4BD7B4BDD408_zpsqz1b8hcr.webp

0A7893EC-A837-4888-B7BD-8743D35D7610_zpsx0btbgho.webp


Now to the rest of the body. I'd really like to add some open wounds and protruding bones. If I make a hole in the stomach, would it work to fill it with green stuff, sculpt like gore and them add some protruding ribs? What do you guys think? I've never done that before.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dragonet
Cool creature you are cooking up there! I don't know if it's still actual, but this opening up of his belly could totally work like this. If you have some old skeleton horses, they can be easily used for ribs, sparing you some work. And dangling intestines are a classic that's difficult to mess up ;) Also, scraped off skin on his front claws, showing bone or meat, could also work very good. Or a drilled eye socket.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu