Getting back into Warhammer after 10 years and Vampire Counts it is

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Noveen

Zombie
Oct 1, 2011
0
Zombies
3
Hi folks! As the subject states, I've recently taken an interest (again!) in getting back into Warhammer. I used to play High Elves about 10 years ago. God knows how I managed to pay for that at age 16! Due to various stuff (mostly 'moving on' and such) I haven't touched it in ages, yet the feeling was always there..brooding..something was always nagging at me to get back into it. Well, now I have.

So I went into the basement and dusted off (quite literally) my old High Elf army, and I was mildly disappointed. What was it that made these elves seem so cool back then? I'm not sure.. so I figured I'd make a fresh start and narrowed things down to Vampire Counts and Skaven, but my love for anything dark/gothicy made VC stand out a bit more.

So I went to my local Games Workshop supporting gamestore, armed with a creditcard and got a bunch of stuff to get me started again. An army book, various colours of paint, brushes, dice, the grassy stuff you put on a base and some other things. And a box of ghouls to start painting. Grand total, about €110. Ah yes, I had forgotten how costly this hobby can be. Ah well.

So I'm going to spend my free sunday and monday on painting my ghouls and thinking about an actual army.

As a sidenote, some personal stuff that makes me seem more human: I'm 26 and I'm a computer programmer and/or software developer. Hobbies and activities include such nerdlike activities as cardgames, tabletop games, boardgames, any games really (or basically anything you would find people doing in your local gamestore). I also love scifi/horror books, videogames, and anime/manga. All that aside, my other big hobby is listening to metal (mostly progressive, doom, death, black and all that good stuff) and bashing on a guitar.

Also, I am growing a beard.

Cheers for now!
 
Noveen said:
As a sidenote, some personal stuff that makes me seem more human: I'm 26 and I'm a computer programmer and/or software developer. Hobbies and activities include such nerdlike activities as cardgames, tabletop games, boardgames, any games really (or basically anything you would find people doing in your local gamestore). I also love scifi/horror books, videogames, and anime/manga. All that aside, my other big hobby is listening to metal (mostly progressive, doom, death, black and all that good stuff) and bashing on a guitar.

Also, I am growing a beard.

Cheers for now!

Sounds like we have a lot in common xD Welcome!
 
Welcome on board!

How about starting a painting log, so we can see your army grow? :)

Good luck with the beard. What type of character are you trying to create? The evil pirate? The mad wizard? The drunk german?
 
Cheers guys!

About the beard, I'm not sure. I think I'm going for the elitist metalhead type of look! Maybe I should keep a beardlog?

About the paintlog, that sounds tempting. The thing is though, I'm really quite bad at it.. I'm already going through all kinds of tutorials. I've finished assembling and coating/priming the ghouls and I'm going to try my hand at some painting later on tonight. I'll think on it!

On a sidenote, this forum looks great! And by that I mean quite literally, it's aesthetically pleasing and the whole theme works quite well. I hope the contents will match the aesthetics but I have faith in that!
 
Well, the great thing about Paintlogs is that you can ask tips and help as you go. ;)

As for the beard, may I suggest this one:

http://www.zentastic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/now-thats-a-beard.jpg

It is a long term investment and by the time it is this long it should have the right tones of grey. It's a timeless model, thus making it look very vampiresque. Quite dangerous in metal-pits though...
 
Also, I am growing a beard.
Before you know it, you will be collecting spave wolves, dwarves and warriors of chaos.

As to the skaven or vampires question.... you should do what I am doing, and collect both!
 
Hya,

I just thought id say hello, I too have recently come back into the hobby from ten years of not playing and too I used to collect High Elves! although i do miss them, i was drawn to the vampire counts army!! I have got lots of painting to do! some grave guards, some mantic ghouls and some skeletons! I have Konrad von Carstien to paint also. Hope your painting goes well!
regards,
andy
 
I'm in the exact same position as you man!

Although i'm only 19 it wasn't 10 years more like 5, but I used collect various armies, dwarves dark elves and what not.
Now after a dormant urge to get playing/painting again has resurfaced and like you, the Vampire Counts it is! (cause I heard they're the bees knees apparently, the ghouls to be precise. Tempted to make an army of the lil things :D )

Was wondering where to turn on this huge forum for painting and building effective armies + game play tactics?

P.S I also just joined the forum! After digging through my email's junk mail for the authentication that is. Apparently it's junk! Pah

Will be looking back for more chatty chatty

Dom
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu