• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
So, thought this could come in handy for beginners. This thread is a glossary of terms used specifically for the Base Rule book in Warhammer and Vampire Counts.

Generally Speaking:
AFAIK - As Far As I Know
Broken - Something (unit, item, spell, power, etc) that is far too good for it's point cost. Playing with it can break the game. Example: Purple Sun + old Power Scroll + delivery system to nuke a large portion of the enemy.
FTW - For The Win!
IIRC - If I Recall/Remember Correctly
NiB - New in Box
NoS - New on Sprue
OOP - Out of Production/Print
OTT - Over the Top (too powerful)
QFT - Quoted For Truth
RAI - Rules As Intended
RAW - Rules As Written
WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get

Main Rulebook:
Anvil - Unit meant to absorb damage, to hold up another unit until it can be attacked in the flank/rear.
ASF - Always Strikes First
ASL - Always Strikes Last
BRB - Big Red Book or Basic Rule Book. Means the main warhammer rulebook
Bus - Unit meant as a delivery system for characters, usually cavalry.
Chaff - a throw-away unit. Used for deployment drops, march blocking, or sacrificial units for various purposes.
Conga Line - Arranging a unit to have one model per rank. Goal is to prevent many models from actually attacking said unit. Generally considered poor sportsmanship.
CR - Combat Resolution
Deathstar - An expensive unit meant to survive and destroy anything it touches. Example: 40 Chaos warriors with characters. Usually has over 50% of your total points in one unit.
Hammer - A unit meant to attack other units, usually combined with an Anvil.
ItP - Immune to Psychology rule
LOS - Line of Sight (most common) Look Out Sir! rule (sometimes)
MR - Magic Resistance
MSU - Multiple Small Units, a technique of using many units of small size to win. Not 8th Ed. friendly, popular in 6th and 7th editions.
SCR - Static Combat Resolution (Combat Resolution generated through ranks and standard bearers)

Magic:
DD - Dispel Dice
PD - Power Dice
IoN - Invocation of Nehek
VHD - Vanhel's Danse Macabre

Items/Bloodlines:
BB - Biting Blade
BP - Black Periapt
DS - Dispel Scroll
ES - Enchanted Shield
PS - Power Stone
SoB - Sword of Battle
SoM - Sword of Might
SoS - Sword of Striking (common), Staff of Sorcery (uncommon)
ToP - Talisman of Protection
WB - War Banner

AoD - Avatar of Death
DA - Dark Acolyte
DK - Dread Knight
FH - Flying Horror
IH - Infinite Hatred
LotD - Lord of the Dead
MotBA - Master of the Black Arts
WD - Walking Death

VC Rules & Units:
AT - Abyssal Terror
BC - Black Coach
BK - Black Knights/Blood Knights
BS - Bat Swarms
BSB - Battle Standard Bearer
"Bunker" - A small infantry unit that is ideally placed behind your frontline, containing your caster characters in order to protect them from enemy shooting. Meat shields, basically.
CC - Corpse Cart
Crumbling - The Process of Undead units losing wounds through Combat Resolution in close combat
DW - Dire Wolves
FB - Fell Bats
FC - Full Command
GG - Grave Guard
KoBK - Knights of Blood Keep (Blood Knights, to help separate them from Black Knights)
Necro - Necromancer
NOX -Necromancer, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, 2 Power Stones
SH - Spirit Hosts
Skels/Skellies - Skeletons
SS - Skeletal Steed
Vamp - Vampire
Varg - Varghulf
VL - Vampire Lord
WK - Wight King
ZD - Zombie Dragon
Zombs - zombies

Black Soul

Skeleton
Jun 10, 2008
florida
This is an overdue addition to the forum. This should be permanently posted and added to. Comments with questions should be welcome, but any new info that adds to the glossary should be added to the main list and kept as the first thing seen / at the top. And Grish if you or another council member could over see the glossary, it would help it. To help it from getting to unweildly, deletion of old questions and comments after they have been answered say once a month or so would help keep the glossary useful and to the point. Great, Great idea. I'm not that computer literate or I would have suggested it myself. I'm fairly new to the forum and the VC and this info is badly needed and very very helpful!!!! Thanks from all us fledging VC's

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 12, 2007
The Netherlands
Scroll: Dispel Scroll
Stone: Power Stone

Note these can also be noted as DS or PS, which is also a popular used term.

I guess I'll start off with the units list, starting at the really basics:

Units

Vamp - Vampire
VL - Vampire Lod
Necro - Necromancer
WK - Wight King
SS - Skeletal Steed
AT - Abyssal Terror
ZD - Zombie Dragon
Zombs - zombies
Skels/skellies - skeletons
DW - Dire Wolves
BS - Bat Swarms or bullshit :P
CC - Corpse Cart
BK - Black Knights/Blood Knights
FB - Fell Bats
GG - Grave Guard
SH - Spirit Hosts
BC - Black Coach

Common Magic Items

SoS - Sword of Striking (common), Staff of Sorcery (uncommon)
SoB - Sword of Battle
SoM - Sword of Might
BB - Biting Blade
ES - Enchanted Shield
ToP - Talisman of Protection
DS - Dispel Scroll
PS - Power Stone
WB - War Banner

Magic Weapons
*Not entirely sure what the popular magic items are anymore, but I know the oldies*

SoK - Sword of Kings
TB - Tomb Blade
HoD - Hand of Dust
SoD - Staff of Damnation
BoA - Book of Arkhan
GoB - The Gem of Blood
BP - Black Periapt
BotB - Banner of the Barrows

Note: many magic items that are old were often referred to as the rod (rod of flaming death), hauberk (walach's bloody hauberk), etc for the sake of convenience.

warpaintjj

Skeleton
Aug 29, 2008
Wessex
Wow! I seem to have stumbled on a good idea (Glossary) and made things happen! Glad to see you guys are active and moving things on, overnight I might add, kinds goes without saying on a vampire forum I guess!

The Glossary is already making things fall into place for me, cheers for that, I appreciate it.

This might seem greedy and taking liberties, is there a Gallery? I couldn't find one, maybe not looked carefully enough of course. Are there any plans to show off your inspirational paint jobs or is there a policy against it, just a thought.

Take care out there, sleep well..........

warpaintjj

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 12, 2007
The Netherlands
This might seem greedy and taking liberties, is there a Gallery? I couldn't find one, maybe not looked carefully enough of course. Are there any plans to show off your inspirational paint jobs or is there a policy against it, just a thought.

:grin: it's suggesting something, which is good. We should have a suggestions forum.

I don't know if Voltaire ever thought of adding some sort of Gallery. Though I have no idea how hard it is to pull it off. I'm trying to get back to being an admin, but there are some complications.

Raziel

Crypt Horror
Jan 14, 2008
My bed
warpaintjj said:

Take care out there, sleep well..........

warpaintjj

No gallery, but if you've an image hosting account there should be a image code under your picture and if there isn't just use
with the url for your picture where the space is

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Is there no way to link into when people use the words, like on warseer? So if someone uses an abbreviation they can hold the cursor over and it flashes up with a description?

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 12, 2007
The Netherlands
Is there no way to link into when people use the words, like on warseer? So if someone uses an abbreviation they can hold the cursor over and it flashes up with a description?

I'll be having to look into scripts they have on the forum software provider... but still I need a glossary list with descriptions, because I don't know all of them.

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 24, 2008
'Naki, New Zealand
Disciple of Nagash said:

Maybe ask how they do it over at http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/

Thanks to V for posting that link, btw. Already my horses are more fearsome.

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
First post updated.

All right guys, time to get this one up to speed. Let me know if there are any more words that you feel should be added to the glossary.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
General:
AFAIK- As Far As I Know
QFT - Quote For Truth
FTW - For The Win!

Main:
SCR - Static CR

Unit:
FC - Full Command
KoBK - Knights of Blood Keep (keeps it seperate from Black Knights)
Varg or "Big V" - Varghulf

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah...

OOP = Out Of Print/Production

for that matter you could put in these related ones as well (with a trade/auction section):

NiB = New in Box/Blister
NoS = New on Sprue

Surely there are ones for various conditions like assembled, primed, painted, etc as well... though I have done any online trading in quite some time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu