Guerilla Warfare Undead Legions 2500pts

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

GhoulKing505

Grave Guard
Mar 21, 2011
211
Zombies
169
So we obviously won't be as good as other armies at this for multiple reasons. But I've written up a list that I really want to try out. I want to know what you all think.

Vampire Lord:
Rf, qb, beguile, ob, ots, night shroud, dragonbane gem, ha, shield
Lvl 4 vamps
Zombie dragon

Liche High Priest:
TofP, neferrata scrolls
Lvl 4 light
Skeleton steed

5 wolves w/champ ×2
5 wolves ×2
10 Skeleron archers standard, musician
52 skeletons cms, swiftness bannes

5 Hexwraiths ×2
6 crypt horrors

Terrorgheist

I'm not worried about it being super competitive. I think it's pretty competitive as is. Any improvements you would make or changes?
 
You only have one hammer, being the vampire lord. Two level 4s is also toug to justify without a casket or hierotitan.

I'd say drop the crypt horrors for something hitty. I also just plain don't like hex wraiths. Also drop the ogre blade for a lance and a 4++, of drop nightshroud for a charmed shield and the same.
 
I disagree with a few of PRNoD's statements. I quite like the list, although it only really has the TG and VL to deal damage.

General advice would be:

Drop the high priest down to a level 2 standard priest. Possibly get a second baby caster as well if you want extra magic support.

Whack the 4++ on the vamp.

Don't go for the lance onthe VL, he's gonna be in challenges a lot so the heavy hitting doesn't make a difference in that first round.

Not sure you need night shroud on him but it's thematic and cool.

You have enough fast moving threats but your archer unit could be bigger for support.

Good list though. I like it.
 
Maybe if you know what I'm thinking you'll understand why I'm taking what I did. Here it is:

So I have the terrorgheist, the vamp lord, and the hexies as my hitters. I took lvl 4 on the vamp lord basically because I had points left over and so I can get off spells easier. The lvl 4 of light is to buff my zombie dragon with WS and I 10. That way most everything ends up hitting on 6s. I was considering switching to a lance. The reason I didn't was challenge purposes. If I charge in and get stuck in a challenge with the lance... it wouldn't be good. That is why I got the champions in the two dog units. Dual charge with them and the vamp and take the challenge with the dog.

Nightshroud was just to help me kill things. It also makes elves lose attacks which I think is sweet. I mean they strike after you but if you kill them the ones that would have stepped up have already gone. Thus they lose attacks for every model you kill basically since your base is so big. It also negates strength effects of weapons which is nice.

My idea was to just move up as fast as possible. Get into combat with my vamp lord and kill everything in his path. In case the dragon dies I have a skeleton bunker for my vamp lord to fall back to.

Wood elves are really my biggest fear with this list. Other than that I think it's a pretty good all comers list. Even cannons can't target everything I have in this list and if they want to all hit my vamp lord they have to get through the horrors first.

I'm planning on trying it out. I'll figure out if getting the TofP and a lance over the ogre blade is worth it. And if I drop levels on anyone It's going to the vamp lord. I need those lore of life buffs and magic missles.
 
I only say lance because a guy in my group runs that build and likes it. I'd personally rather have ogre blade, charmed shield, tal of pres.

Another good combo is nightshroud, ha, shield, GW, tal of pres, OTS, RF, AoDM, Beguile. Then put him to L4 on death. He'll break things easier, be hard even for characters to hurt, and generally cause nightmares for opponents.
 
Maybe if you know what I'm thinking you'll understand why I'm taking what I did. Here it is:

So I have the terrorgheist, the vamp lord, and the hexies as my hitters. I took lvl 4 on the vamp lord basically because I had points left over and so I can get off spells easier. The lvl 4 of light is to buff my zombie dragon with WS and I 10. That way most everything ends up hitting on 6s. I was considering switching to a lance. The reason I didn't was challenge purposes. If I charge in and get stuck in a challenge with the lance... it wouldn't be good. That is why I got the champions in the two dog units. Dual charge with them and the vamp and take the challenge with the dog.

Nightshroud was just to help me kill things. It also makes elves lose attacks which I think is sweet. I mean they strike after you but if you kill them the ones that would have stepped up have already gone. Thus they lose attacks for every model you kill basically since your base is so big. It also negates strength effects of weapons which is nice.

My idea was to just move up as fast as possible. Get into combat with my vamp lord and kill everything in his path. In case the dragon dies I have a skeleton bunker for my vamp lord to fall back to.

Wood elves are really my biggest fear with this list. Other than that I think it's a pretty good all comers list. Even cannons can't target everything I have in this list and if they want to all hit my vamp lord they have to get through the horrors first.

I'm planning on trying it out. I'll figure out if getting the TofP and a lance over the ogre blade is worth it. And if I drop levels on anyone It's going to the vamp lord. I need those lore of life buffs and magic missles.

So the issue here is that you're placing all your hopes and dreams on a guy who can die to a single cannonball. He's good, but you need ways to win games outside of him. Also threat saturation. People will shoot cannons at terrorgheists before defensively-kitted vampires often enough.
 
-Yeah get the 4++ on the VL
-Drop the horrors for vargheists and keep the hexwraiths, you need fast moving threats to have a truly guerrilla army.
-Switch to death lore on the Nef's scrolls character, it really is the better choice over Light. Using the scroll to launch a purple sun is far more effective than buffing an already impressive combat lord and his mount.
-take more archers to clear chaff. This is key.
 
I'll playtest the different combos on my vamp lord. I'll even run certain scenarios (cannons, shems burning gaze, purple sun, etc) by myself over the next couple days.
Yes this might be a list where one thing does all the killing but what's the difference between it and a black knght bus or even a horde of grave guard? Isn't it the same idea? Yes I might be more vulnerable but this list seems far more bad ass than a black knight bus.
Is everyone missing the point of the crypt horrors? Is that why they want me to drop them? I could see dropping them for the varghs but i don't have any vargeist models and the frenzy really deters me from that. Plus they are more expensive.
Purple sun is great but I think it's the dumbest spell in the entire game. I mean when a single spell wipes out your opponent's entire army I feel like I've cheated. I most often play against my lizardmen friend and I don't want to win through a purple sun. I'd rather win through a vampire lord that kills entire legions of lizards by his lonesome.
There are fun things you can do with wolves and hexwraiths to help line up your opponent correctly for your vampire lord to have two rounds of combat in one combat phase. I've always wanted to try this and I feel like I finally can.
I got lore of vamps for healing purposes, meaning the vampire lord healing himself and his mount. This is another thing I'm debating however. I'll probably tryout both death and shadow on him at some point. Shadow would mean I could get S10 skeletons if I needed to. I could also control my opponents movement with shadow. We'll see what ends up being the best.
 
I agree with your dislike of purple sun, it is the supreme cheese. Cheese is also the reason why I don't feild Dragonlords or Terrorgheists, they feel too cheesy for me. Purple sun = no fun even if you're the one casting it.

I would agree with the Vargs though. Your idea of Crypt Horrors being there to catch cannon balls for your VL won't work since he'll be flying off on his Dragon with his 20" movement an your CHs are stuck with their 6" (it's enough for some I guess...). Vargheists will keep speed with your Lord, and since you'll be running them alongside your Lord, will benefit from his Ld10 to restrain them from charging, so frenzy shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Deploy them last so that you can effectively aim them at what you want to take down, or alternatively, moonwalk them across the table (placing them facing backwards, since they will only frenzy charge at what's in their line of sight).
 
I do think I'll end up switching out the 6 crypt horrors for 5 varghs. I had just enough points to do so. I should only need one round of catching cannonballs anyway. They'll also give me a second hammer (a glass one but a hammer nonetheless). I just need to get the models first.

I'm alright with a little bit of cheese. Like a single terrorgheist or even banner of world dragon. These are single threats that really can only target one unit at a time. Purple sun however can target many and do much more damage while at the same time giving you an entirely new magic phase with your opponent's dispel dice spent... that is like the sharpest cheddar one can find in the world of warhammer. It takes the fun out the game I feel. The game goes from being about strategy to just pure luck of the dice. Or in some cases (like ogres) not even being a contest at all. So while cheese is good and tasty, too much causes constipation and other foul side effects.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu