• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

hangman

Zombie
Jan 28, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to vampire counts. Also i should probably mention I am a novice at playing Warhammer Fantasy so the odds are not in my favour.

Just needed a bit of help with my army list. I have listed below what I own and just need to know what else i need as most of mine is core and I don't think skeletons can win a battle for me. Also it would be helpful if you could advise me on what the troop types are useful for. I know that skeletons can be used just to hold up the enemy, but would i have my wizard with unit or just behind it. I know that some of the characters in my list I won't be able to use as they cost so many points but just need some goos substitutions.

My current army list is as follows:

35 Skeletons with swords
Corpse Cart
20 Crypt Ghouls
10 Dire Wolves
3 Vargheists/Crypt Horros (not sure which one to field)
Vlad Von Carstein
Vampire Lord

Is the above enough to field in a battle?

This is a list if what I think I need, obviously correct me if I am wrong which I most probably am:

10 Grave Guard
Wight King
2 X Necromancers
Count Manfred

Let me know what you think. Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 3, 2013
Rockford Il
Hey buddy! Lets see what we can do for ya!

So to start off with you have 2 vamps already, I wouldn't worry about getting count manfred. Use that money to get more troops. Also, I would start off with only 1 necro.

So in 8th edition your best bet is larger units. So 20 ghouls and 10 GG will not do to hot in combat. So I would go with 40 Ghouls and drop the Grave Guard and Wight King all together. Look at some bigger models, The stars in this army are Crypt Horrors, Vargheists, Mortis Engines, Terrorgheists, and Hexwraiths.

I would look into those units! Hope this helps out a bit!

As far as the caster goes, there is a strategy called Bunkers. you would take a unit of 20 zombies with a banner and throw the necro in there. This unit then sits behind the rest of your army but the bunker gives the caster shooting/magic protection while not being in a unit that is suppose to get into combat.

hangman

Zombie
Jan 28, 2014
Thats great advice. Thanks for clearing up the bunker thing, I had no idea what it was. Makes sense to drop the grave guard i was only looking into it because of tyne restless dead box.

thanks again for the advice :)

hangman

Zombie
Jan 28, 2014
forgot to ask, how would i field the vampire lord then? would that be within a unit or on his own?

thanks

Von Nachspiel

Skeleton
Feb 16, 2012
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to WHFB. The vampire lord should always be put in a unit. The most common is with a unit of black knights or in a big block of skeletons or ghouls. This protects the vampire in the same manner as the zombies protects the necromancer, and also from static combat resolution if the vamp have an unlucky close combat phase:-)

It is possible to have the vampire out on his own, but it is quite risky, and keep in mind the crumble rules of a dead general...

As corien says crypt horrors, hexwraiths, terrorgheists, mortis engines, vargheists and spirit hosts are all good units.

They have very different roles though. Crypt horrors are super though anvils. Vargheists are the opposite, flying glasshammers. Terrorgheists can scream away
the big bad stuff. Mortis engines shine as support at >2000pts. The spirit hosts are cheap ethereal units that lock down any monster without magic attacks.

Personally i would start with a unit of 6 crypt horrors. But it is always smart to have a few friendly games using proxies and unitfillers to figure out what you like :-)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu