• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Nordicdeath

Zombie
Feb 10, 2016
Ohio
hi folks I just finished assembling my hexwarith cavalry and based painted any suggestions on how to get the paint scheme the same as is the one the malignants box set? Please be kind these are the first models I've ever put together lol.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Dragonet

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
Are these the first models you're painting? If so you have one hell of a steep learning curve to get up before you reach the point where they look like on the box. A few tips to start you off with - never paint out of the pot. Ever. The paint is too thick it will make your minis look bad and it will kill the detail. So, thin your paints. Water does well, a medium (Lahmian Medium or equivalent) does better but if you're just starting water is great. Do yourself a favour and make a wet palette. It's not essential but it does help a lot and you will hey to a point in your painting career when you'll suddenly find yourself needing one and it would help a lot if you learned how to make one or had one about already. Don't worry, wet palettes are super cheap, all you need is a plastic container, some paper towels and some parchment paper and you're ready to go, watch a tutorial on it.

Other than that watch lots and lots of tutorial videos and experiment. You WON'T get the paint right the first time, no one does, it won't look great but keep practicing and you will get there.

Painting is usually - basecoat, shade, highlight (with steps in between etc)

Hexwraiths - get the basecoat on (bone for bone, greeny blue for robes etc). Give the bone a wash of agrax earthshade or nuln oil whichever you prefer. The robes are the tricky part, up to you whether you have them dark first and work up to a light colour or have them light first and work down the shadows. They will require extensive layering/glazing, by which I mean get your paint really thin and paint on the colour transitions. I strongly recommend getting on youtube and watching a dozen tutorials as they help massively.

Lastly - experiment! Try something new! Remember, subtlety is the key to getting a professional look.

Reactions: Dragonet

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Hey @Nordicdeath and welcome to the forums. I think @Aren has a pretty good formula there but I have a suggestion before you start.

Practice.

The Hexwraiths are pretty advanced and they are fairly tough to paint. I would suggest getting a box of skeletons and starting with some basecoating and dry brushing tutorials. These techniques are invaluable but they're hard to get right the first time, would be a shame to get it wrong on the hexwraiths.

You don't have to get GW skeletons if you want to save some dosh, perhaps the mantic ones or wargames factory versions from your friendly local gaming store or online, they're heaps cheaper.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010
I totally agree with @Leithel, get something to practice on. Though I presume you're new to the hobby @Nordicdeath and have just picked up a box of "Start Collecting Malignants" from your local GW along with some paints and would be dismayed at us folks telling you that now you have to go and get another box of models to practice on. In the box you should have some extra bits, to make the black knights and extra bits from either the mortis engine or coven throne depending on which you want to make. Grab those and practice on those. Paint the bone, paint the corpsemaster or the handmaidens, practice and practice and always push yourself to the best level you can! Only when we push ourselves the hardest can we improve.

And enjoy it! Painting is supposed to be fun!

Nordicdeath

Zombie
Feb 10, 2016
Ohio
Yes I agree on the learning curve. I never thought about that practicing on my extra pieces though. I will do that get a better handle on technique before diving straight in. Thank you guys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu