How Many Extra Models Do I Need?

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Ninja Zombie

Zombie
Nov 2, 2013
22
Zombies
24
Not really a tactical question, but how many extra models would I need for the following units: Zombies, Ghouls, Skeletons, Black Knights and Grave Guard. Just trying to get an idea of how often I'll be resurrecting, based on other people's far superior experience. Most likely I'll be running a Lvl4 LoV caster and a Lvl1 LoV caster.
 
Really Depends on the points size I would think. The higher points the higher Model count. Also since Im new to VC I cant help much without more experience myself. But im sure it would help if you gave a pointotal or your army list so far. Ill help anyway I can
 
Out of that list, you can't create 'extra' of anything besides zombies (and skeletons, if you have a Necromancer with Master of the Dead.)

If you have Summon Creatures of the Night (p61) on a vamp, you can raise Dire Wolves, Fell Bats, and Bat Swarms above starting size too.

Everything else is capped at the unit size you purchased.
 
Ah, I hadn't noticed that caveat! Annoying, but it does make things easier!

So, assuming I dead have a Master of the Dead, how many extra Skeletons and Zombies would I need, depending on sizes. I'll be playing between 2000-2500, with a horde of skellies and probably just a small unit of zombies I can add to.
 
Well ive got 113 zombies so far and i still need more. Admittedly i do run pure zombie blocks for most of my core. But what with raising and all im thinking around 150 is the number to go for
 
My general motto is:

Am I going to use Ghouls?

Yes = Ok, I'll need few zombies then since... Ghouls are expensive. About 40-50 zombies total should do.

No = Include a Unit of 30-40 Skeletons then, just to carry the Lichebone Pennant / Screaming Banner and fill the rest with Wolves / Zombies. You'll need at least 80 zombies to fill this Core


I don't run a pure Wolf / Zombie Core... because I don't have enough models yet! D:
 
I run about 40-50 skeletons and have never needed more than that. Mist of the time, it is better to just field a large unit of skeletons and heal them with all your IoN instead of growing the unit with the IoN of your one necro. The reason is that necro's IoN is the one they dispell, so you can't benefit from MotD. What they should of done, automatically let necromancers raise skeletons beyond starting size and then let vampires buy MotD as a power. That way all your casters could have it.

Any rate, MotD isn't worth the points or hassle.

With that said, zombies are another matter. You should have a minimum of 20-40 extra zombies beyond what you field. I personal own about 150 zombies and have successfully summoned all of them onto the table before. Between fielding a 20 zed unit, casting 3 or more IoNs and using raise dead, then rerolls from corpse carts. Once you get good at using those things, you can start needed lots of those guys.
 
Units fillers are the shiz!
grab yourself the gw garden of morr set and you have yourself about another 40 'bases' AND they will look bad ass!I also dont play compepitivly and LOVE using my opponants dead models as zombies :) really fits the theme too. Najo has a really good point, there have been times we're my battle plan demands that i riase MORE skellies and zombies BUT then end up getting my white little ass handed to me by their dispel magic! somthing to be mindful off for sure.

other than that, its a very hard question to answer, i could say take an extra 50 skellies, 50 zombies, 10 fellbats, 10 bat swams and a mound of hounds, and assuming your opponant didnt shut down a single spell and you cast like Nagash himself you might get to use them BUT aint nobody cash like Nagash!

best advice i could give, play a few friendly games ( the best games) and use spare bases, enemy models, models from other armies and such as your raised models, that way you can work how a rough idea of how many you need

hope this helped :)
-Switch
 
najo said:
I run about 40-50 skeletons and have never needed more than that. Mist of the time, it is better to just field a large unit of skeletons and heal them with all your IoN instead of growing the unit with the IoN of your one necro. The reason is that necro's IoN is the one they dispell, so you can't benefit from MotD. What they should of done, automatically let necromancers raise skeletons beyond starting size and then let vampires buy MotD as a power. That way all your casters could have it.

Any rate, MotD isn't worth the points or hassle.

With that said, zombies are another matter. You should have a minimum of 20-40 extra zombies beyond what you field. I personal own about 150 zombies and have successfully summoned all of them onto the table before. Between fielding a 20 zed unit, casting 3 or more IoNs and using raise dead, then rerolls from corpse carts. Once you get good at using those things, you can start needed lots of those guys.

Still, in that case IoN becomes another spell to choose for Dispelling. If you have Level3-4 + possibly Loremaster the opponent will have to choose very carefully as to what he stops (all Lore of Vampires spells are pretty good, so the opponent will be hard pressed in his choice because when he stops one another equally or more powerful one might get through).
 
Count Vashra said:
najo said:
I run about 40-50 skeletons and have never needed more than that. Mist of the time, it is better to just field a large unit of skeletons and heal them with all your IoN instead of growing the unit with the IoN of your one necro. The reason is that necro's IoN is the one they dispell, so you can't benefit from MotD. What they should of done, automatically let necromancers raise skeletons beyond starting size and then let vampires buy MotD as a power. That way all your casters could have it.

Any rate, MotD isn't worth the points or hassle.

With that said, zombies are another matter. You should have a minimum of 20-40 extra zombies beyond what you field. I personal own about 150 zombies and have successfully summoned all of them onto the table before. Between fielding a 20 zed unit, casting 3 or more IoNs and using raise dead, then rerolls from corpse carts. Once you get good at using those things, you can start needed lots of those guys.

Still, in that case IoN becomes another spell to choose for Dispelling. If you have Level3-4 + possibly Loremaster the opponent will have to choose very carefully as to what he stops (all Lore of Vampires spells are pretty good, so the opponent will be hard pressed in his choice because when he stops one another equally or more powerful one might get through).

Not exactly, Lore of Vampires is good but spells values shift based on the position of your units and casters. For example, van hels can't help if you aren't in combat and its move doesn't benefit you next turn. Same with hellish vigor. Curse of years is more effective on large infantry units. Raise dead if you need to redirect, etc.

So what this means. Depending on how well the vampire player closes ground and has his units support each other, some spells can be let through or their really dangerous.

on top of that, if you can suppress a vampire's. Healing then you can actually kill units off and keep them from recovering. Usually you focus on stopping just the healing and let other spells through or vice versa. So its actually easier to defeat vampires this way.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu