• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

How to Beat the Big Fellas!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Well if it was that easy, then there'd be no problem. However the Chariot fights in the challenge too, hence the need for a thread discussing how to beat it ;) I don't think Speculum is one-use only, I think it last in every fight...

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The Wolf Thrall would seem to be the best way to go with defeating the War Altar.

I'm going to suggest something a bit different for this task though...has anyone ever tried to use the Black Coach to bring down the War Altar? It seems to me that the best way to combat a chariot with a ward save, armour save and a nasty git on top is to use the Undeads own nasty chariot. They could literally tie each other up for the better part of the game with both being unbreakable chariots.

Mutter

Skeleton
Voltaire said:
I'm going to suggest something a bit different for this task though...has anyone ever tried to use the Black Coach to bring down the War Altar? It seems to me that the best way to combat a chariot with a ward save, armour save and a nasty git on top is to use the Undeads own nasty chariot. They could literally tie each other up for the better part of the game with both being unbreakable chariots.
My resident Imp player ALWAYS use the Mace of Hellstrom (sp?), which means the BC would probably be gone after a very short while ... otherwise, a sound idea ...

Cheers, Mutter

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Right, time to wrap up this thread (And move on to the next target) I think!

So in conclusion, the War Altar is really hard to beat due to its magic resistance, ward save and the damage it does to all units in contact every magic phase (unless dispelled). The Arch Lector will invatiably have van Horstmann's Speculum making characters ineffective. Thus, the Vampire Counts player has only a few options:
1) Multiple characters attacking at once. It's best that the characters are in the same unit, and this will only work with von Carsteins, as Blood Dragons must ake the challenge where they will be affected by the Speculum. With two S7 von Carsteins (Safest way is two Vamps on foot, as lance bonuses wear off).
2) Black Knights, preferably in the flank. Again, do not accept challenges- aim for the Arch Lector, as the Killing Blow will take him out.
3) Charge in with a small unit of Ghouls- they'll probably lose combat and flee: he will have to pursue, so if you can make him pursue into a forest or something, they'll take significant damage.
4) A Black Coach will do some damage, and probably hold him up for the entire battle, until your cavalry can arrive. Watch out for the Mace of Hellstrom; the Coach can probably suffer Soulfire every magic phase but if he casts Cleansing Flare as well it might end up destroying the Coach.
5) Hand of Dust as a last-ditch measure: if you have this spell cast on a character then really try and get Hellish Vigour on them as well (Strigoi get a re-roll anyway due to Hatred making it useful). One hit later the War Altar will be destroyed- if it fails its Ward Save...

uhm from my reading of the rules, the chariot takes no part in the challenge...i mean the chariot and it's impact hits hit the unit it charged, not the character in the challenge...

i might be wrong here, but that was my reading of the rules...

on another note: all these suggestions are good, but being a necrarch player i have no access to s7 characters at all, so to me swamping looks to be the best tactic...that or a cannon!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Well uhh, you are reading the rules wrongly... impact hits will go against the unit, but chariot and horses go into the challenge and fight alongside thr archlector.