• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Nov 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
What would be an appropriate build for killing a chaos lord with a 1+ and a 3++?

Skeleton warriors. Seriously. I find that WoC players often equip these guys with great weapons to save points, since they're confident that they won't be killed before they get to strike (and for good reason).

However it ALSO means that their mounts get to hit before they do. So charge in and challenge with the champion (or accept the challenge which he has to make). Horse gets two attacks hitting on 3s wounding on 3s which will probably kill the skeleton. Lord/hero doesn't get to attack. He loses combat 1 point to 5 (charge, banner, 3 ranks). Watch him fail that LD5 break test and run him down.

Skeleton champions are the best damned 10 points you'll ever spend :)

Edit: As for your vampire lord, you want him AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from this dude. Red Fury is wasted on models who don't take wounds, and 3++ rerolling 1s is a tough nut to crack. Plus he hits back at S7 and you've only got a 4++. Far better accepting the challenge with your unit champion and trying to beat him on combat res. Blender vamps want to be killing rank-and-file for ACR not banging their heads against a wall of impenetrable defenses.

BloodbathMcGrath

The Butcher of New Liberty
Sep 9, 2012
Joliet, Illinois
Chaos lords are about the best character for killing other characters. Vampire lords are about the best at killing RnF and netting you CR. And then there are daemon princes....

To the OP, mounting your vamp and sticking him in a unit will not make him die of crumble. The unit should take that damage. It will take away his LoS! Roll though, I believe. Same with if he has flying and joins bats, etc he will have no LoS! Can I get a rule check on that @The Sun King ?

Also I think great weapons were designed with goblin heroes in mind. Otherwise your points in quick blood are wasted counter-acting the ASL from a great weapon. Plus vamps have high Int and are likely to score rerolls when they have ASF. If I took a great weapon on a vamp I might pair it with dread knight and beguile + AoDM and use him as a semi-cheap challenger.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
He cannot join bats as characters are not allowed to join flying units. And yes since he is part of the unit he doesn't crumble on his own.

Maca1066

Zombie
Nov 14, 2014
Vampire Lord 400pts
Great weapon, Night Shroud, other tricksters share, talisman of preservation, red fury, quickblood, lvl 1 shadow

this build will strike first against most things due to shroud, enemies lose bonuses to stg, and he leaves 200 points for a level 4 necro in normal 25% lord allocation.

Vampire 238
BSB, Great weapon, redfury, armour of silvered steel, iron curse icon, lvl 1 shadow

works well in tandem with the above vampire if you put him on the edge of combat (outside of the vampire with shroud)

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
Maca, great weapons have ASL. Since Nightshroud makes others ASL, it means they will strike at the same time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu