• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Hey,

So in a few weeks I'm going to play my first game of KoW, and it's going to be at a tournament. I figure I should get some feedback on my list before I take it so here it is:

Revenants (40) (240pts)
Rules: Lifeleech (n), Shambling
····Magic Artefact (30pts) [Brew of Strength (30pts) +1 Crushing Str]
····Two-Handed Weapons [Crushing Strength (1)]
····Undead Giant Rats (Dogs?) (10pts) [Lifeleech (2)]

Zombies (60) (260pts)
····Magic Artefact (35pts) [Orcsbain's Amulet of Thorns (35pts) (Ensnare)]
····Touch of Darkness (25pts) [Regeneration (5+)]

+ Regiments (420pts) +

Skeleton Warriors (20) (90pts)

Zombie Trolls (3) (120pts) [Crushing Strength (2)]
···Magic Artefact (5pts) [Mace of Crushing (5pts) (Reroll 1 Wound)]

Zombie Trolls (3) (120pts) [Crushing Strength (2)]
····Magic Artefact (5pts) [Blade of Slashing (5pts) (Reroll 1 Hit)]

+ Troops (180pts) +

Ghouls (10) (115pts)
Rules: Lifeleech (n)
····Magic Artefact (50pts) [Crystal Pendant of Retribution (50pts) (Explode for 2D6 Hits when routed)]

Ghouls (10) (65pts)

+ War Engines (200pts) +

Balefire Catapult (100pts) [Blast (D6+2), Piercing (2)]

+ Heroes (700pts) +

Army Standard Bearer (50pts)

Necromancer (100pts) [Bane Chant (2) (15pts), Surge (8) (Default)]
Rules: Bane Chant (n), Individual, Lifeleech (n), Nimble, Surge (n)

Necromancer (85pts) [Surge (8) (Default)]
Rules: Individual, Lifeleech (n), Nimble, Surge (n)

Rules: Bane Chant (n), Individual, Lifeleech (n), Nimble, Surge (n)

Vampire Lord (365pts) [Lifeleech (2), Surge (3)]
Rules: Inspiring, Lifeleech (n), Surge (n)
····Dragon (110pts) [Crushing Strength (3)]
····Magic Artefact (35pts) [Medallion of Life (35pts)]
Profiles:
Medallion of Life: Notes:This Hero has the Regeneration (5+) special rule.

The army is in 3 parts.

First is the decoy. 2 Balefire Catapaults and 2 Skeleton regiment detatchments will hog the center of the deployment area. With the 2 catapults it should be enough so that my enemy can't ignore it.

Second is the anvil. A hoard of zombies with 5+ regen, ensnare and life leech should be pretty tough to kill I rekon. They are supported by 2 zombie troll regiments, each with a little spice, to protect the flanks and return the charge. The vampire will support this unit along with one of the necromancers.

Last is the hammer. A nasty goard of revenants with extra crushing strength and 2 necromancers to speed them up the field. Two ghoul detatchments will support, one with the nasty exploding gem for a nice suprise. These guys should be brutally fast with Surge 16 each turn and the non shambling ghouls to try and keep up. Surge in, Banechant to up crushing strength to 3 and then support with ghouls.

Any thoughts on my list? What would you change and what is a silly idea?

Grok

Ghoul
Sep 8, 2014
I think you have gone a little bit too heavy on magical items for your units. Personally I would take off the upgrade for the zombies. I would also take the exploding thing off the ghouls, their nerve is so low that any shooting against them, even if it deals only 1 damage, has a decent chance to break them, in which case you wasted 50 points. The ghouls are great for grabbing flanks and getting in the way, but if you make them too expensive they become too much of an investment.

I have found Kings of War, especially for Undead, is won through flank and rear charges. Getting these charges, pretty easily, is why surge and shamble is so good. I really, really like a troop of wraiths with a flying cursed pharaoh to support. Surge's main use should not be to advance forward on the board, but to slam units into flanks and rears. Your main surges should be concentrated on your zombie trolls to get them into the flanks of the enemy.

You are also very light on inspiring, maybe drop a necromancer for a revenant king. They are great for holding a flank for a turn or two, or popping forward to stop Thunderous Charge. You also have to consider your vampire will rarely be near your army to inspire them, so you essentially only have 1 inspiration, which is not enough. I have heard roughly 1 inspiring per 500 pts.

One element you need is a few fast choices to stop shooting. Small quick units can jump forward deal 1 damage in close combat, and stop a ranged unit (or a caster) from shooting.

What scenarios are being played? As that influences what choices you need.

Have you played much Kings of War? Maybe your style just differs from mine a lot, but most of my advice seems pretty standard.

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Hey thanks heaps for the reply. NO I've not played any KoW before so this is going to be a good experience getting my A$$ handed to me.

Good points on the ghouls and on inspiring. I'll play aroudn with that and see what I can do. If I setup my deployment differently I can surge the zombie trolls easily enough. I'll re-work and re post shortly.

Thanks for the advice.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
First, I don't think you can take the Touch of Darkness upgrade unless you include the Mhorgoth special character.

Second, the zombie legion is probably only going to survive three or four rounds of combat. I don't think the Ensnare special rule is going to be enough to push that out to five or six rounds, so essentially it's wasted points. These guys have crappy stats and will die quickly no matter how much you buff them, so your best bet IMO is to just count on their impressive nerve value to soak up attacks while you position for a flank/rear charge.

Third, regen 5+ is pretty good but remember that in KoW, you can't hide a flying unit in combat. If your enemy has warmachines, they will be targeting your Dragon every turn. Consider taking The Fog to make it harder for them to shoot him.

I would strongly consider taking some wraiths. At the moment I'm using the old Spirit Host models for them. Being nimble and shambling makes them a great support unit since they can spin 180 degrees and still be pushed into combat through Surge. They're a great counter to flying units.

Also, Werewolves are really good at taking out Warmachines, and can be supported by a Lykanis (Vargheists and Varghulf respectively)

Reactions: Draykorinee

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Ok here is my second attempt at the list. I am focussing on painted models as we'll so removed the zombie dragon. Suggestions and reviews would be awesome.

+ Regiments (1 Hero OR 1 Mon OR 1 War Eng per) (180pts) +

Ghouls (20) (90pts)
Rules: Lifeleech (n)
Profiles:
Ghouls: Unit Size:Regiment (20)|Height:1|Unit Type:Infantry|Speed:6|Melee:4|Ranged:-|Defense:3|Attacks:12|Nerve:12/14

Profiles:
Skeleton Warriors: Unit Size:Regiment (20)|Height:1|Unit Type:Infantry|Speed:5|Melee:5|Ranged:-|Defense:4|Attacks:12|Nerve:-/16

+ Hordes & Legions (1 Hero AND 1 Mon AND 1 War Eng per) (615pts) +

Revenants (40) (240pts)
····Magic Artefact (30pts) [Brew of Strength (30pts)]
····Two-Handed Weapons [Crushing Strength (1)]
····Rules: Crushing Strength (n)

Zombie Trolls (6) (175pts) [Crushing Strength (2)]

Zombies (60) (200pts)

+ Troops (2 per Regiment, 4 per Horde & Legion) (345pts) +

Ghouls (10) (65pts)

Wraiths (10) (140pts) [Crushing Strength (1)]

Wraiths (10) (140pts) [Crushing Strength (1)]

+ War Engines (200pts) +

+ Heroes (660pts) +

Army Standard Bearer (50pts)

Liche King (165pts) [Bane Chant (3) (20pts), Regeneration (5+), Surge (12) (Default)]

Necromancer (85pts) [Surge (8) (Default)]

Vampire Lord (260pts) [Lifeleech (2), Surge (3)]
Rules: Inspiring, Lifeleech (n), Surge (n)
····Magic Artefact (40pts) [Wings of Honeymaze (40pts)]
····Rules: Fly, Nimble
····On Foot [Crushing Strength (2)]

Reactions: Draykorinee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu