• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

hornywingythingy

Skeleton
Feb 3, 2012
Wales
Tbh as 8th progresses I find beastmen more useful, it was clearly written with the 8th trend of increasing points costs in mind, still has some horrid items, and the wizards have access to Great lores, the only problems I see with beastmen are none of the rare units are worth fielding, they all cost way too many points for what they do. Minotaurs rock, and bestigor aren't bad but are delicate, they perhaps cost 1 or 2 pt too much.

Smacula

Zombie
Sep 24, 2011
DC
Duke Danse Macabre said:
Lizards got some nasty gear and to be honest they could use that book forever and still own, skaven however are just one of these books they let the team do what the hell they want with.
Everyone wants to see their armies redone though.

Tell me about it, I've played Tau since the day they came out in 3rd Edition.

The only real problem with the Lizard book is the lack of core choices, despite what people say about their magic items/abilities (read: Slann) being OP.

I just hope that they continue to make 8th ed books that seem mostly balanced with each other. None of them are over the top and they have all mostly adhered to a fairly consistent design philosophy. It's actually pretty impressive when you think about it and look back to previous editions of both games, where at some point the studio put something together that was totally insane.

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 7, 2011
Seneschal said:
Indeed. Bretts and Wood Elves need an update yesterday. GW has stated that they will not be doing books " in order" and that they will release them as they see fit.

All the Wood Elf rumors say March 2013. WoC are up next. Maybe this November.

Duke Danse Macabre said:

Looking forward to the new chosen plastic kit myself. :thumbsup:

Um...I am in the minority then. I wish I could keep my Chaos Warriors book all through 8th. The same with my Skaven. Every new book is bringing major nerfs one way or the other to balance the armies. Like everyone only getting 8 magic items. I love the 50+ items Skaven have.:redface:

von Rosentod

Zombie
Apr 4, 2012
Duke Danse Macabre said:

Um...I am in the minority then. I wish I could keep my Chaos Warriors book all through 8th. The same with my Skaven. Every new book is bringing major nerfs one way or the other to balance the armies. Like everyone only getting 8 magic items. I love the 50+ items Skaven have.:redface:
[/quote]

I am also quite satisfied with my High Elves as they are. The new rumoured stuff could be rather good: Drake riders of some sort, and something flying with the "chariot" rule. But it ould turn out horrid as well. But ruleswise, they work. If Adam Troke's really the one writing the new book, then I'm feeling safe.
Same thing with my Skaven - one really doesn't have to take the cheese to the table, even if the stereotypical rat allegedly likes cheese.

Most of all I'm not liking the few magic items. Ruleswise I understand it's easier to balance a few than to get 13*13 of them right. I like to have my pick: "Ooh, I've never tried that (?combo?) before..."

KonradtB: According to the Rumours on Warseer, Wood Elf have been "ready" at least once before, but did not work at all on the table, and had to be redone - again. Understandable, as they shouldn't be "just another elf army".

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Yorga said:
Seneschal said:
Indeed. Bretts and Wood Elves need an update yesterday. GW has stated that they will not be doing books " in order" and that they will release them as they see fit.

All the Wood Elf rumors say March 2013. WoC are up next. Maybe this November.

Duke Danse Macabre said:

Well that would be because the Chaos Warrior book has allot of OP things to be taken advantage of, infernal puppet, treason of tzeench, The Dreaded Game spoiler also know as gateway, War Alter spam using the terror banner to reroll to get the ward save and then Tzeench increasing that ward save.
Whats that?.... You have a 3+/3+ 40 strong character unit grinding things appart, wow..... You must be a great tactician....

Warriors have been foretold to be getting hit with the Nerf hammer some time now and more people were crying for that even more than vamps so you are either going to get badly hit or you will be saved as GW's big money maker....

In regards to Skaven magic items though, that is great fun but the Dwarfs have even more runes.... God help them both....

Smacula said:
Duke Danse Macabre said:
Lizards got some nasty gear and to be honest they could use that book forever and still own, skaven however are just one of these books they let the team do what the hell they want with.

Tell me about it, I've played Tau since the day they came out in 3rd Edition.

The only real problem with the Lizard book is the lack of core choices, despite what people say about their magic items/abilities (read: Slann) being OP.

I just hope that they continue to make 8th ed books that seem mostly balanced with each other. None of them are over the top and they have all mostly adhered to a fairly consistent design philosophy. It's actually pretty impressive when you think about it and look back to previous editions of both games, where at some point the studio put something together that was totally insane.

You do lack a bit in the way of core but allot of armies do these days, hell daemons have no core cheaper than 12 points a piece.
Brets have Skeleton strength infantry with bowmen and then just knights everywhere you look.
Allot of armies are in the same boat and I don't think will ever change as thats the way the army has been made to work even if it is very samey it has something in place or a overall idea it was made to follow which is not great for choice but it allows it to function.

High elves have allot in their favour atm also.
Only really since the last book though with their racial abilities though the ASF makes no sense as it technically should of of went to the Dark Elves, being the true Heirs and all..... Just say'in. :innocent:
Now as they got stronger with the 8th edition rules which was not intentional at the time of writing their army book they will loose some of that power, also HE GW still allowing ASF and +2 strength like the ogre blade for 20%'ish of the points may also be scrapped on characters.

Really all we can say is all armies are going to suffer..... Apart from ogres, on the plus side they are stripping us all but in books to come we will be built right back up. :thumbsup:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu