• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Well as agreed in the previous discussion about the Books of Nagash, it has been decided that the Books should have their own section.

This is mainly because as magic users in the LoN were required to have a book, they could not choose from the BRB Arcane items which seemed unfair.

So therefore we now need to create an Arcane selection, however please bear in mind the Books of Nagash. These are already very potent, therefore we are looking for for subtle, small items rather than big items.

So here a couple that just crossed my mind.

The Favour of the Dark Lord
In this amulet is part of the Dark Lords essence, which hungers constantly for power. It draws any excess from its wearer, both ensuring their safety whilst inhibiting their casting prowess.
When the bearer casts any spells, any PD with roll a 6 are automatically discarded. This does effectively mean the bearer can never roll a miscast.

I think this works as it ensures their safety, however its really double edged as any 6's mean you loose that PD.

Ruminating Snuff
What goes into this vile concoction is unknown, however what is known is that whenever the powder is sniffed it clears the mind and allows the user to see the winds of magic like never before
The user can channel PD and DD as normal, in addition to being able to cast Rituals.

So what do the rest of you have?

The Wizards Speculum - 35pts
Ever wrathful of those who would undermine his dark magics, Nagash created many trinkets to turn their powers against them. This potent item twists and turns the winds of magic, empowering the user whilst draining power from the enemy.
Once per full turn at the start of any magic phase, the user may decide to swap his magic level with any enemy wizard that is within 18" and LOS. Only the wizard level is swapped, spells, items etc remain the same.

The Ebony Skull - 30pts
This cracked skull is so old and decayed that it appears to be no more than a blackened husk. But for those who know the keys to its enchantment, it can unleash horrific power from its empty eye sockets
Bound Spell 3+
When activated this item casts the True Gaze of Nagash as per the Lore of Nagash.

Circlet of Power - 30pts
Within this bronze circlet are shards of warpstone, attuned to storing power on behalf of its bearer. But like anything created purely from magic, it is highly unstable and too much power can overload it.
At the end of any magic phase, the wearer of the Circlet of Power may store up to 1 PD/DD per caster level. These dice can be retrieved at the start of the next magic phase, however, the user must exceed the number of dice stored on a roll of d6. If the roll is failed, then the stored dice are lost.

Ruminating Snuff - 25pts
What goes into this vile concoction is unknown, however what is known is that whenever the powder is sniffed it clears the mind and allows the user to see the winds of magic like never before
The user can channel PD and DD as normal, in addition to being able to cast Rituals.

Shard of Obsidian Power - 25points
After the destruction of one of the Black Shards in battle, it was realised the remaining fragments still held potent energies. From that point on efforts were taken to recover these wherever possible, to aid in future conflicts.
The bearer can choose to add +D3 to any of his casting or dispelling attempts, after the casting or dispelling dice are rolled. Roll a D6 after every time this item is used, on a roll of 1 or 2 the Shard's powers are exhausted and it cannot be used for the rest of the battle.

Black Droplet - 15pts
Inside this rune enscribed crystal is a single drop of of a potent black substance. Whilst it is not known where it comes from, what is known is that when the crystal is cracked the substance sends out a shockwave that vastly alters the winds of magic. It can be a potent weapon in the right hands, but it can also lead to the users downfall.
One Use. The user can declare to use this after the winds of magic have been rolled, but before any spells, powers, items are used that affect the PD/DD pool. The player must then re-roll the dice to generate the Winds of Magic, or if in opponents magic phase force them to re-roll. The new result must then be used.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
As we do have all the other magic items pretty much done, I think we need to get these out of the way as well.

It doesn't have to be a big list, but we do need something.

Are there any opinions on the two I have suggested - I don't think they are anything major, but nice little additions.

More ideas please!!

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
They both look okay... need some point values for those (and for mine below).

The Favour looks weird, dropping good dice, but never miscast/IF... hmm.

I think that a Black Periapt or Rod of Power type of item would fit as well.

How about:

Circlet of Power
you get to write the fluff though :D
At the end of any magic phase, the wearer of the Circlet of Power may store up to 1 PD/DD per caster level. These dice can be retrieved at the start of the next magic phase, however, the user must exceed the number of dice stored on a roll of d6. If the roll is failed, then the stored dice are lost.

For point costs I think that there are a few options here:
1) 10 pts per caster level
2) 20 pts for Heroes, 40 pts for Lords
3) a flat number.. I'm thinking something like 30ish..

I'd prefer to see it based on caster level, since level plays a great part in the items effectiveness.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
Regarding the Favour, keep in mind that Slann have an ability that does the exact same thing to opposing wizards, so this is clearly considered a disadvantage. Why would anyone pay points to disadvantage themselves? A fix I suggest would be to make removing 6s voluntary. This would make it quite useful, as you no longer have to sweat getting IF on a small and unimportant spell(happened to me the first time I played VC in 8ed). It would merit a cost increase though. As for the Snuff, it looks good as it is(COCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINEE!)

Besides the above, I got another idea of my own:

Shard of Obsidian Power - ??? points

Insert fluff here

The bearer can choose to add +D3 to any of his casting or dispelling attempts, after the casting or dispelling dice are rolled. Roll a D6 after every time this item is used, on a roll of 1 or 2 the Shard's powers are exhausted and it cannot be used for the rest of the battle.

Function-wise, the Shard is a combination of the Sceptre of Stability and its PD counterpart. It adds only D3 instead of D6 but has the possibility of being reused. The roll to exhaust can be increased to 1-3 if it is too powerful as it stands now.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Ok, so the Snuff is good xd

I see what you mean about the favour, thinking on it more I think I will drop that idea entirely.

Bishop - The Circlet of Power is good, however considering the possible downside of loosing on the PD etc, I think a set cost of 30pts would be fine.

Sweeney - The Shard is great, I think however it could be undercosted if it works all game. I would have the power drain in the following fashion:

Each time the Shard is used roll D6 and add the number of times the Shard has been used. On a total of 6+ the Shard is exhausted.

Here is another idea:

The Wizards Speculum
Fluff
At the start of any magic phase the user may decide to swap his magic level with any enemy wizard that is within 18" and LOS. Only the wizard level is swapped, spells, items etc remain the same. The speculum can be used at both the start of the users and the opponents magic phase.

No idea on points though?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
For the Shard, if the item is exhausted on the first roll then it'd be overcosted! I'm okay with exhausts on a d6 roll of 1-2.

On the Speculum, I think that usable during either player magic phase is fine... however, I think it should be limited to once per game turn. (So, if you use it in your magic phase then you can't use it in your opponents next magic phase).

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
Regarding the Shard, personally I'd go for a fixed roll to exhaust. DoN's proposal would require additional bookkeeping as you would then have to record how many times the Shard has been used during the game. I'm fine if you guys rule in favour of DoN's idea though that would merit a lower points cost due to his exhaustion rule being harsher. Assuming we're using it in the form I originally proposed, how about 25 points?

As for the Speculum, it definitely should be usable only once a game turn, not every player turn. In this age of Magichammer it's a powerful and very useful item. Would be broken if you could use it every magic phase. i can easily imagine keeping a level 1 Wizard around with the Speculum just to fuck with enemy wizard lords.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
OK, I have posted the items we have in the second half of the first post - how does it look?

I think two more items myself, as we don't have a direct damage one:

Something Vambraces? - ??
The unknown Liche who created these learned his lessons well, after realising whilst he could match the best with magic, in the maelstrom of combat he was woefully unprepared. Thus he created the vambraces as a last defence against those who would come too close
The vambraces may be used at the start of any magic phase. The wizard may choose to permanently loose his magic level(s) (including one spell which the owning player may choose). Any models in in BtB contact with the bearer suffer D3+3 strength 6 hits for every magic level sacrificed.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't really like that one DoN. Seems a bit too powerful. I know that you'll be permanently dropping a magic lvl. However, that's 3 models (most of the time), being affected. so, 12 to 18 Str 6 wounds... yuck!

How about something as simple as a bound item... like a Gaze of Nagash wand?

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
I second Bishop on this one. I can easily imagine charging a lvl 2 Wizard at an enemy character-laden deathstar and lining them all up with my wizard only to make them all burst with one pop of this item. Too prone to abuse.

We could keep it simple and do a Bound Spell version of True Gaze of Nagash, as already recommended

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
Jul 26, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ever thought about making something that can re-roll the Winds of Magic? LoN wizards can't channel, so you're not going to be getting a very good dice advantage unless you roll well. But if you made a small, 15-25 point item that allows you to re-roll even one of the dice, it would be nice, especially considering how there's really nothing out there in the Warhammer world like it. Plus, it could even be a bit of a risk if you say that the player MUST take the re-rolled result.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Oooh me likely xd

Great idea Bravo - hope you can keep on helping us out with great ideas like that.

So we could have two more items like thus:

The Ebony Skull - 30pts
This cracked skull is so old and decayed that it appears to be no more than a blackened husk. But for those who know the keys to its enchantment, it can unleash horrific power from its empty eye sockets
Bound Spell 3+
When activated this item casts the True Gaze of Nagash as per the Lore of Nagash.

Black Droplet
Inside this rune enscribed crystal is a single drop of of a potent black substance. Whilst it is not known where it comes from, what is known is that when the crystal is cracked the substance sends out a shockwave that vastly alters the winds of magic. It can be a potent weapon in the right hands, but it can also lead to the users downfall.
One Use. The user can declare to use this after the winds of magic have been rolled, but before any spells, powers, items are used that affect the PD/DD pool. The player must then re-roll the dice to generate the Winds of Magic, or if in opponents magic phase force them to re-roll. The new result must then be used.

No idea on cost for that one?

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood
Jul 26, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Thanks, DoN! Hopefully I'll think of more cool stuff, although it's hard to beat what the LoN already has. :)

But anyway, I like 15 points for it too, simply because you're not guaranteed success. Re-rolling both dice could possibly mean a worse result, so it should be interesting to see where it's best used.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Well I have now updated the first post.

I like the items and I think we have enough, considering we also have the Books of Nagash. Everyone else happy?

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Great - personally I am inclined to just put these in and have them playtested, and vote through at the end.

However if the rest of you would prefer they can be put to the vote now?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu