Low Points Tactics (500-750) For a Beginner

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Rob Anyone

Zombie
Aug 11, 2011
28
My House
Zombies
21
Hi,
I'm looking at getting back into Fantasy after a long break from the hobby partly because it was my first love and secondly because it appears that GW is attempting to ruin 40k.

I want to start playing at small points values to gain a grip on the aspects on the game and also because I will be playing mostly in my local GW after work so won't have time for large point games initially. This does mean that I won't know what I'll face and whilst I'm not looking to win at all cost I'd like to offer a reasonable challenge and have fun.

As such I have a few questions:

1) At low points having read a lot on this forum, it appears that a necromancer is generally considered the most effective leadership choice and I just wanted to check this is the way to go? And if so what would be an effective load out? I'm thinking he'll need to be at least lv 2 for starters.

2) Having already got a few skeletons from a previous attempt to get a Vampire army started, what would be the optimal weapons choice? I was thinking just swords and shields to get the parry save but I could be wrong...

3) In a similar fashion, I have some grave guard and whilst I realise they're not as mighty as they once were I'd like to include them. I realise there's no easy answer for this but at 500-750 points my question is: swords + boards or great weapons?

4) How many zombies could I realistically expect to raise in a game?I'm planning some ambitious conversions and am trying to get an idea of how many I'll need to make up.

5)I have a vargulf and I love the model, but is this guy still viable? I also have a spirit host which will definitely go in the list as it seems like a no brainer.

I apologise for the deluge of questions (there may be more to come) and would really appreciate any advice tips etc. I can provided a detailed army list soon but don't have access to the army book until I move back home from uni. If the above appears confusing I'll blame my sleep deprivation due to finishing my dissertation! :boring:
Cheers in advance.
Rob
 
1. At 500 points, the only way you can take a lev 2 wizard is through a necromancer. I would also give him Ruby Ring of Ruin or Book of Arkhan. At 750, maybe Cursed Book, or something to make your nec more survivable. You might also take Master of the Dead (at 500 or 750) to increase your skeletons.
2. If you are running more than 40 skeletons, take spears (it's free). If not, stick with the parry saves. Maybe take Banner of Swiftness or Screaming Banner with them.
3. If you take GG, try not to go over the 25% in your core. Take swords and boards at low points games because they still have KB.
4. As long as you do Raise Dead before IoN, you should be able to get a lot of Zombies. However, you would have to roll for Raise Dead when determining Spells, so don't count on having it all the time. If you get Curse of Years or Wind of Death, strongly consider keeping one of them; at low points, those two can do a lot of damage.
5. At low points games, the Spirit Host is great. You can't take the Verghulf until 750, but it is really good. Just remember to not get him into the same battle with the skeletons or the CR will kill him every time. If you take the GG, the Varghulf may take too many points away from being able to have an effective unit.
If you have Direwolves, take one or two units of 5. they are cheap and effective.
 
Alabaster427 said:
1. At 500 points, the only way you can take a lev 2 wizard is through a necromancer. I would also give him Ruby Ring of Ruin or Book of Arkhan. At 750, maybe Cursed Book, or something to make your nec more survivable. You might also take Master of the Dead (at 500 or 750) to increase your skeletons.
2. If you are running more than 40 skeletons, take spears (it's free). If not, stick with the parry saves. Maybe take Banner of Swiftness or Screaming Banner with them.
3. If you take GG, try not to go over the 25% in your core. Take swords and boards at low points games because they still have KB.
4. As long as you do Raise Dead before IoN, you should be able to get a lot of Zombies. However, you would have to roll for Raise Dead when determining Spells, so don't count on having it all the time. If you get Curse of Years or Wind of Death, strongly consider keeping one of them; at low points, those two can do a lot of damage.
5. At low points games, the Spirit Host is great. You can't take the Verghulf until 750, but it is really good. Just remember to not get him into the same battle with the skeletons or the CR will kill him every time. If you take the GG, the Varghulf may take too many points away from being able to have an effective unit.
If you have Direwolves, take one or two units of 5. they are cheap and effective.

Alternative point of view:

1) Level 2 Necro with Book of Arkhan or Master of Dead is illegal at 500 points.
2) I would never in a million years put spears on Skeletons Warriors, even at 500 points.
3) Even if GG with shields might be solid at 500 points, it is important to let Rob know that great weapons are vastly superior once he begins to build up his army to higher points totals. His sword and shield GG will probably collect dust on the shelf once he gets a hang of the game and starts playing 2.5k.
4) I would say max 20ish Zombies for raising with your one Necro, but there are a lot of factors in the game. Like if your Necro is in a Zombie bunker that doesn't see combat, the numbers can get really high.
5) Spirit Host is amazing.
 
Thank you very much ALABASTER427 and PATRUNKENPHAT7 for your replies
Just to clarify then;
1) Are great weapon grave guard less effective at low points? I'm guessing they have a tendency to draw a lot of fire? I think the temptation will be to move up to higher points once I can afford it. I'd rather not have any models that become redundant at higher points levels, especially if the unit needs to be large?
2) I currently have 30 zombies and 20 skeletons but based on your advice ALABASTER427 would some Direwolves be a more effective addition?
3) Presumably bunkering the necromancer is a must at this low level to avoid him dying and the army falling apart?

I'm getting the impression I'll be on a fairly steep learning curve in terms of which units to target what and how respond the enemy but I'm looking forward to it. In terms of unit set up, I've read that 5 wide is probably the best way to go?

Thanks in advance for all the advice and help. Also further apologies for the probably stupid questions.
Cheers
Rob
 
Rob Anyone said:
Thank you very much ALABASTER427 and PATRUNKENPHAT7 for your replies
Just to clarify then;
1) Are great weapon grave guard less effective at low points? I'm guessing they have a tendency to draw a lot of fire? I think the temptation will be to move up to higher points once I can afford it. I'd rather not have any models that become redundant at higher points levels, especially if the unit needs to be large?
2) I currently have 30 zombies and 20 skeletons but based on your advice ALABASTER427 would some Direwolves be a more effective addition?
3) Presumably bunkering the necromancer is a must at this low level to avoid him dying and the army falling apart?

I'm getting the impression I'll be on a fairly steep learning curve in terms of which units to target what and how respond the enemy but I'm looking forward to it. In terms of unit set up, I've read that 5 wide is probably the best way to go?

Thanks in advance for all the advice and help. Also further apologies for the probably stupid questions.
Cheers
Rob

At low points, the GG suffer from Great weapons because of ASL. They are already ignoring 1 armor and have KB(which ignores all armor). In higher points games, the Great weapons are good, especially if you have Corpse Carts. However, once you take the Great Weapons, you lose your shields. At low points, other armies may be looking to take their S4 (sometimes AP) units, so losing the shields could mean losing your armor save and will lose parry. Once, I took a Necromancer with WK at 750 and it worked out pretty well. You only really need a champion in the unit that your nec is in in case of unavoidable challenges, so save points where you can. The smallest unit of DW is only 40 points, so I try to include them in every list (many VC players do), but at 500 the SH may be more effective because the enemy will not likely have much magic. Master of The Dead will only benefit the skeletons, so if you think D6+2 will be enough to sustain them, then no need to take it. If not, take it and cast it every turn.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu