Morghast discussion

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
May 13, 2014
360
AZ
Zombies
496
Which of the two is best?

the only difference between the two is that for 10 points you get +1 strength and +1 armor save yet -1 attack.

My opinion is that you should save the points as typically you would only be buying a 160 point buff to your crumble.

In many cases, 4 attacks at S5 is nearly equal to 3 at S6. There is not much that is T7+ in close combat so worse case you got 4 5+ attacks instead of 3 4+.

What exactly is their role in a VC army? They have very high WS and Initiative for undead, but you pay for it. 80 points seems like the better deal to me. Is it worth investing in more than 2? In a double Mortis list they would become like super crypt horrors.

If you want them as a powerful offense unit then Archai seem more appealing since they have better strength and defense, and harbingers extra weapon is wasted on the back rank. But taking 6 would be 540 points, thats a hefty price tag. But they will travel farther and hit harder and faster than nearly anything else.

Are they better than units we already have? They seem similar to a Vargulf or Vargheists.

Vargulf is rare of course but I only have one TG and ME so I have never had much issue with Rare points. For 5 points less than two Archai you get one less attack at the same WS with S5 but with hatred. This is pretty big since he will probably run off on his own, away from VHDM spells. Sure hes got half as many wounds but hes smaller and vampric, so considerably more mobile. Regen is always huge, id take regen over double wounds any day.

In a double mortis list, (which is also probably the most appealing to add a couple morghast) a Vargulf's Regen doesn't matter anymore, but and Archai become very very hard to kill. Also, Morghast can gain a lot of HP fast around a lvl4 vamp wiz.

I never really liked Vargheists. They are really great versus really bad units. If you are playing against competitive opponents, the number of units these can eat up is slim to none. Against pretty much anything that strikes before them, they are very bad. Since I am most often against things with 4-5I or ASF, I find little I can do with them except slam them into a flank and still get mediocre results. I haven't played with them much due to really sad results so far, but they would be very handy in specific situations like a protected gunline. Still, they are satisfactory, compared to extraordinary results of say, a Casket's Souls ripping though an entire gun line, a skull catapult taking out a warmachine with a direct hit, or a pack of core wolves easily dispatching a crew (all much cheaper & with more rounded usefulness). Worst of all, vargheist being vampric means they are nearly impossible to keep alive. Most of our units are either extremely hard to wound or rase back as fast as they die - Vargheists are neither.

Morghast are a very different role despite similar stats. You want to protect your morghast, and you cant get them very far off on their own anyway. They arent going to drop to shooting very easily. But if you wanted to invest a lot of points and use them like Vargheists, Morghast will do much better in every way except for mobility.

Morghast Summary
+ Minus one to crumble
+ Hardy; arent going to die to just anything. If your opponent wants to shoot at them, its a big investment for them, and thats likely in your favor. More often than not, your opponent will shoot at something scarier. If you are in combat, the -1 crumble helps make them more of an anvil as well.
+ Strong; even only two are likely to cause a few wounds on nearly anything.
+ more than half the time they could screen a cannonball and survive. With their movement and big bases, they excel at this more than any other unit in our army.
+ Very mobile near General
+ Special
+ Easy to heal/raise
- Somewhat Costly
- Non-mobile away from general

Has anyone had really great results with them? Which should I make?
 
Alabaster is right, they have the hover rule, so they move the same speed regardless of whether they are near the general or not. Sunny, and najo as well I believe will run them in units of 4, 2x2 I think. They seem to have good luck with it, since they can hit hard, don't die quickly and benefit from invocation of nehek, making them a very reliable unit, at least as far as they have told us.
 
  • Like
Reactions: najo
Hmmm, I've never read it like that but looking again I think you might be right. I thought it follows all the rules for fliers but can march whilst flying, but it simply says cannot march, so yeah just 10 inch move for them
 
The undead legion part of the hand book is almost done. Sunny and I are in rewrites with it right now. Morghasts are covered in it in detail in there. We both use morghasts a lot, and I can tell you from experience that crypt horrors are still the best anvil, varghiest are the fastest and best option for a glass hammer and morghasts add a new role to the army, one of zone control and anchor for the rest of the army. The combo of power, easy heal, hard to hurt and the anti crumble goes a long way to locking down and removing threats. I would say that the archai are the sweet spot with their S6, but both units have good value depending on local scene. If elves are abundant harbringers are slightly better, if armor and monsters are every where, then archai are. Give morghasts a shot if you haven't, they are awesome and personally one of mine and Sunny's favorite units now.
 
Last edited:
They are the "bomb diggity" as some of the young folk used to say once upon a time.

Units of 4 work best but I have also used a pair of archai at an ETC event with Tomb Kings (they were allowed) and they rocked. I treated them like a hovering razorgor chariot of sorts.

2x2 is good for archai, I've gone 4 wide with harbingers a few times backed up by a necrosphinx on the flank of a unit.

Morghasts are an answer for wood elves and bloody hell did we ever need one. The fact that most WE players switched from poison shots to truelfight arrows means morghasts wil last even longer when we face them.
 
First of all, let me come to the defense of Vargheists. I would without a doubt rate them one of the best (and most underrated) units in our book. Yes they can't fight much of anything in the front...but why do they need to? They have the mobility and the range to be threatening in the flanks, and can fly over things to hit stuff behind if they turn to face you.

As for vampiric...yeah it means that Invocation doesn't affect them very well. However it ALSO means they can march outside the general's bubble, giving them a very important role that isn't easily filled outside of our army.


As for morghasts, I would say archai are the better choice. S6 makes them can openers, which is something we actually struggle to find options for given how many options opponents have for taking out our usual non-VL tin snips (it is a rare day where my terrorgheist survives past turn 2, and hex wraiths are dead points with all the trueflight and magic missiles on the table these days).

At T5 and 4W they can also fight things in the front, which vargheists can't do. Makes their lack of mobility into less of an issue.

I would like to see a unit of 4-6 supporting some foot vampires in the middle of the board, with two 4-packs of vargheists outflanking. That or a hellsteed vampire, since they could potentially screen him from cannonball shots.
 
I spoke on behalf of the Varghiests. They are still the most efficient and fastest glass hammer in our army. They can operate so easily on a second front and independent of the general. Great flanking unit.

But I will speak on defense of Hexwraiths, they are still very effective as Wood Elves are rare enough in all comers and if you deploy right and have good target saturation, the Hexwraiths can cause headaches for Wood Elves too. Just don't run them into range of the archers or waywatchers. Course this is much harder to do then it used to be, but it is possible.
 
Most of the times when I did bring vargheists I also had other larger threats on the board that made my opponents neglect the vargheists. But as soon as they got in touch with their warmachines, they'd almost go for an auto mop up as they knew that the crew would never survive. So as far as that goes I like them. They can move a spectacular 20" and get to positions easily. Vampiric helps alot. I don't bother about healing them with incovation as they're always away from the core of my army to get in position.
Only shooting gets to them and if it does they're not firing upon any of my other expensive troops.

So I can second Pirate on the underrated troops part. However, they don't always make it to my lists. So many goodies to pick from ..
 
They are Hover, so they can't march, even when near general.

Sorry need to brush up on my hover rules. Thought it was just like fly but cant fly over people.

The undead legion part of the hand book is almost done. Sunny and I are in rewrites with it right now. Morghasts are covered in it in detail in there. We both use morghasts a lot, and I can tell you from experience that crypt horrors are still the best anvil, varghiest are the fastest and best option for a glass hammer and morghasts add a new role to the army, one of zone control and anchor for the rest of the army. The combo of power, easy heal, hard to hurt and the anti crumble goes a long way to locking down and removing threats. I would say that the archai are the sweet spot with their S6, but both units have good value depending on local scene. If elves are abundant harbringers are slightly better, if armor and monsters are every where, then archai are. Give morghasts a shot if you haven't, they are awesome and personally one of mine and Sunny's favorite units now.

I look forward to the handbook update. I looked around and didn't see anything yet (hence why I created this post).

So many goodies to pick from ..

I love this about VC. While other armies have their "must include" power units, the "must include" for VC is really Invocation of Nehek. The ability to erase most to all of the damage your opponent has done so far by far our biggest asset and applies to most every unit. We just need to stay ahead in the magic phase, which is easy with so many special magic options. Combined with the fact that we have to make big units to survive, its hard to put a lot of variation in a single list - but there is always a ton of fun stuff on the shelf. We can alternate between various character buses, tarpit/anvils, hammers and rare. My skaven and elf lists usually have to surround the same primary units every time, but undead can really throw in all kinds of fun stuff and still play a competitive game. right now I could probably make three competitive 2000 point lists from the models i have on my shelf, but my other armies would need to buy a lot more stuff to make even a second list.

It seems the consensus is to go big or go home, so Archai are best in most scenarios - that is probably the way I'll model them.
 
Just briefly skim-read this as its 1am but I don't think anyone's mentioned the major factor for me, Harbingers are special, Archai are rare so while I prefer Archai entirely, the fact they are rare made me make Harbingers first, simply because enough of my rare stuff has to take turns to play already without even more nice stuff being there. So I'd say it mostly depends on how full your rare section is
 
Just briefly skim-read this as its 1am but I don't think anyone's mentioned the major factor for me, Harbingers are special, Archai are rare so while I prefer Archai entirely, the fact they are rare made me make Harbingers first, simply because enough of my rare stuff has to take turns to play already without even more nice stuff being there. So I'd say it mostly depends on how full your rare section is

That's been on my mind too. I can't seem to pull the trigger on these models.
 
That's been on my mind too. I can't seem to pull the trigger on these models.

I suppose you could justify the Archai better if you make use of the 50% lord limit regularly because 50% lord, 25% core, then its 25% between rare and special so which they belong to doesn't matter, but I can never bring myself to go that far on lords and heroes without a named character or a fluff reason. However I know a lot of people only here were going 40% characters even without the new limits so I suppose its less of an issue depending on that
 
Archai are so effective. You need to play with them to see it. They fill a niche the vampire counts don't do well normally, that is a stable, hard to kill Strength 6 unit with plenty of attacks. Honestly, the Archai are on par with T-bats and Mortis Engines and overall the most versatile of the bunch. Two Archai are 180 points and have 6 Strength 6 Attacks and 2 Strength 5 stomps. They are T5 with 4+ armor and 8 wounds. Put a 3rd one in there and for slightly more than a T-bat, you got 9 Attacks, 3 Stomps, 12 wounds. Plus, good stats, killing blow, anti-crumble. Totally awesome.
 
But I will speak on defense of Hexwraiths, they are still very effective as Wood Elves are rare enough in all comers and if you deploy right and have good target saturation, the Hexwraiths can cause headaches for Wood Elves too. Just don't run them into range of the archers or waywatchers. Course this is much harder to do then it used to be, but it is possible.

1) Since when are WE rare in an allcomers environment? The field is lousy with them here in the PNW, and there were 5/78 players at the US Masters running woodies. Last ETC had loads of woodies as well.

2) Waywatchers don't have magic shots, so you're actually good there. It's the two units of trueflight glade guard and trueflight scouts you have to worry about. They're pretty rough on vargheists too, but at least they wound them on 5s and a unit of 4 has 12 wounds. Hexxies just melt.

Not to mention that the rest of the field is running lots of magic missiles these days on account of all the dark elf avoidance armies out there. Unless you're still playing in a meta dominated by blockhammer, in which case I burn with jealousy :P


Morghasts fill a crucial role in the current meta for VC, in that they're fast, tough, hard-hitting, and are easily healed. They don't give up points, are capable of earning you points, and don't have the same number of bad matchups that our other non-VL hammers have (poisoned shooting, cannons, and magic missiles). If they were allowed in local tournaments more often I would find room for a pack of 4 archai for sure.
 
1) Since when are WE rare in an allcomers environment? The field is lousy with them here in the PNW, and there were 5/78 players at the US Masters running woodies. Last ETC had loads of woodies as well.

2) Waywatchers don't have magic shots, so you're actually good there. It's the two units of trueflight glade guard and trueflight scouts you have to worry about. They're pretty rough on vargheists too, but at least they wound them on 5s and a unit of 4 has 12 wounds. Hexxies just melt.

Not to mention that the rest of the field is running lots of magic missiles these days on account of all the dark elf avoidance armies out there. Unless you're still playing in a meta dominated by blockhammer, in which case I burn with jealousy :tongue:


Morghasts fill a crucial role in the current meta for VC, in that they're fast, tough, hard-hitting, and are easily healed. They don't give up points, are capable of earning you points, and don't have the same number of bad matchups that our other non-VL hammers have (poisoned shooting, cannons, and magic missiles). If they were allowed in local tournaments more often I would find room for a pack of 4 archai for sure.
Sorry, I had a brain fart on the waywatchers. I meant the scouts. That's still 1/15 armies. You may not even face them. My point is that threats to the hexwraiths aren't rampant enough that their impossible to use. You need enough target saturation, anti-magic and ways to remove the threat and you can keep hexwraith tactics, which are amazing!
 
Sorry, I had a brain fart on the waywatchers. I meant the scouts. That's still 1/15 armies. You may not even face them. My point is that threats to the hexwraiths aren't rampant enough that their impossible to use. You need enough target saturation, anti-magic and ways to remove the threat and you can keep hexwraith tactics, which are amazing!

High Elves are frequently running High Magic, which has a very solid bound spell as its signature. Dark Elves have a magic missile on their brolocks as well as their lore. And because of the triple threat of HE, DE, and WE, lots of armies are bringing ranged lores that weren't before. I see way more Tzeentch magic these days than I ever used to. People putting level 1s and 2s onto fire. Light Councils never really went away. Lizardmen have plenty of magic missiles on any of their competitive choices. Both Ogres and Brets run Heavens these days...again lots of magic missile threats. The number of armies that DON'T have a good answer to them are few and far between.

Now that I'm running a BK bus I might reconsider my position on them, using them to orbit the bus and do harassment damage. However for what they do, the vargheists are just so much more dependable. They're more durable, more aggressive, and fill gaps in my army. Alternatively, morghasts are a durable anchor unit that outputs a reliable anti-armour option. Hex wraiths rely on the general bubble, require resources to protect, and bleed points easily to a large subset of the competitive field. In my honest estimation, they're just not a strong choice for an all-comers list given the current meta.

Now when they're FREE, that's a whole different story.
 
Now that I'm actually considering playing with Nagash I'll probably make use of mine with summoning. I have four and have run them two units of two in the past (mainly because that tends to be the most you can summon without Arkhan/Nagash). I could be tempted in the long term to get another box and run them 2 units of 3 though.

Why running them as 2x2 with a second rank when that rank doesn't count for anything (monstrous infantry needing 3 in a rank to count?)
 
Because you get all your attacks from the archives rank with archai, without having a massive frontage so maneuvering is easier.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu