Morghasts.

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Jul 25, 2014
35
Zombies
33
The models are AMAZING! But how to use them? I'll be likely including them in what will basically be a stock VC army + them. Ideas? Thoughts? Strengths and weaknesses? Less crumble and S6 is quite amazing, perhaps use them to support the knight bus?
 
If they had more attacks and or wounds they might be worth it.
They just feel a bit weak for the size and coolness of the model and their points. Probably will end up getting a couple though, are they 1 or 2 per box?
 
If they had more attacks and or wounds they might be worth it.
They just feel a bit weak for the size and coolness of the model and their points. Probably will end up getting a couple though, are they 1 or 2 per box?

They're 2 per box.
 
@Bullhax: that's my opinion as well. They look ace, and the -1 instability is nice, but they are simply not worth 80+ points a model. They have neither the offensive impact nor the defensive stability to justify that point cost. Not even close. Shame really. It's cases like these that make me shake my head whenever someone complains that GW make new stuff overpowered to sell models.
 
That does seem like a waste of potential. It sucks when they come out with really bad ass looking models like this and they end up just blah on the table.
 
I'll probably eventually pick up a couple, just because they look nice, and fit my army theme. I haven't run the numbers on the lore of undeath, but like blood knights they might be more tempting as summoning options for Nagash or Arkhan than as units to field in their own right. Even then, though, you're likely better off summoning horrors or gheists with the same spell.
 
Ill pick em all up... just because their looks are f*cking stunning. i dont think theyre 800+ per model. and its only 1 model per box but its a combobox from which you can choose either of the three i believe. at least thats what it looks like from holding the box at the shop.
(yes i went to a GW shop while being on holiday in France)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Emicrania
I'm struggling to reconcile the points cost myself tbh. I've ordered a box, but it's more for aesthetics and painting and the coolness of the models than their tabletop play, similar to how I've got Nagash. Nagash, flanked with one of those on either side looks great. I'm much more likely to use a Mortarch in game than Nagash, and much more likely to go for more castable spells than the monstrous infatry one.

For me they need several things to make up for their points. I could handle 3/4 attacks if they at least had a regen/ward save/magic resistance. Really I would think 4/5 attacks. Admittedly they've got thunderstomp. So really this makes them best suited for taking out infantry (harbinger) and elite infantry (archai). At the very least they have a 10" flying movement (over units as well, keeps them menueverable), killing blow and terror. If you're doing the right thing and sending them after infantry, most infantry will be doing will to actually make it into combat with them.
 
I'm struggling to reconcile the points cost myself tbh. I've ordered a box, but it's more for aesthetics and painting and the coolness of the models than their tabletop play, similar to how I've got Nagash. Nagash, flanked with one of those on either side looks great. I'm much more likely to use a Mortarch in game than Nagash, and much more likely to go for more castable spells than the monstrous infatry one.

For me they need several things to make up for their points. I could handle 3/4 attacks if they at least had a regen/ward save/magic resistance. Really I would think 4/5 attacks. Admittedly they've got thunderstomp. So really this makes them best suited for taking out infantry (harbinger) and elite infantry (archai). At the very least they have a 10" flying movement (over units as well, keeps them menueverable), killing blow and terror. If you're doing the right thing and sending them after infantry, most infantry will be doing will to actually make it into combat with them.

Agreed sadly they are MI so only a regular stomp, if they had a thunderstomp I would get them :)
 
Their mobility should help get them into the combats you want like mentioned above, and their -1 to the instability should help a little (especially if matched with Nagash/general/bsb and such). I'm trying to think of a handy use for them. They are MI so 3 of them is one rank, right? So would it be practical/decent to keep them as a flanking force only. The mobility should make it a little more possible and then once your enemy is stuck in with some of your regular infantry, send the Morghasts into the flank to disrupt? This way they're not likely to take too many attacks back which hopefully terror/toughness/armour save will help negate. I'm not sure though if disruption would be enough to make up for the CR made my wiping out zombies and such though.

I'm so trying to think of something to do with them. :p
 
Points wise they are a bit costly, but your getting hammer and anvil in one package. That counts for something. They are going to grind much more efficient than our current options.
 
Only if they were being supported or used in support I think. Say by some Crypt Horrors? If you wanted to let them go on your own you'd need a unit of at least 4-6... ~500-550 pts a unit, that's an awful lot of eggs in one basket.
 
Their -1 does not stack right? So you couldn't have small units of them supporting several combats?

The -1 does stack. So if you go crazy, you can get something like -4 to instability casualties. (1 for BSB, 2 for Nagash, 1 for Morghasts). Constructs would be at -5!

Edit: Not sure it you meant the Morghast rule stacking with other Morghast units. That wouldn't, but it stacks with the other sources.
 
I did mean stacking with itself but the stacking with other stuff is still handy. Unfortunately it looks like they'll be way more of a support role then bad assery in combat. They look so good they should be both. T_T
 
Im not sure I get what role they are supposed to perfom in the army. However, I really dislike the models so I won't be getting any.
It seems Im in the minority here but I just really don't like the uninspired pose and weird jetpack-ish look of them.
 
I like the halberd version, with the chest armor and helmeted head. But in general it's too big for what it does (or, more to the point, the stats don't live up to the model's size), and the better looking version is the worse in game for eating rare allowance.

I like them conceptually, and I even like the models, but I will not be picking them up myself any time soon.
 
I can appreciate their looks and weird aesthetic more now I know the fluff behind them. They were originally the bodyguards/ elite troops of Ptra himself, head of the Nehekharan pantheon. Nagash was getting so powerful and pissing him off that he broke his own rules and intervened in mortal (well... I guess Nagash is immortal... so HUMAN) affairs by sending his shock troops after Nagash. For 40 days and nights they battled Nagash across the spires of Nagashizzar until they were all eventually defeated. To rub salt in the wound, Nagash then raised them to serve under himself.

I can only really see them in a support role myself. Even then, their minus 1 to cumble isn't going to save THAT many nearby combats... Maybe the occasional one.

Just to clarify, I think I may have mentioned previously that the Archai would have Strength 7. I was confusing Halberds with Great Weapons. They would only have S6, but at least that doesn't confer them with ASL.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu