• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
Just had a talk with my FLGS shop-keep, and he was telling me about the new sets of bases GW plans to release just into August. There is going to be two sets, either for around 13$, with a good handful of assorted bases.

One kit has 20x 32mm, 3-5x 50mm and a handful of new 75x46mm (oval) ones. The other kit has 10x 25mm, 3-5x 40mm, some 50mm and I think two more different sized ovals than the other set.

I forget exact numbers, but apparently they're releasing those soon here. As well they'll have sets of 100 32mm/25mm bases available exclusive to web store, but those were 40$ for the set.

Kind of interesting. I haven't looked into re-basing (Or basing for the first time) many of my models, but I am slightly interested in it.

He mentioned that it's almost silly some of the prices they're offering, with other companies offering about as many for half or less the cost. Primarily in reference to the 100-count sets. The Ovals aren't quite something most 3rd parties make (Yet?).

Although I am very interested in the oval bases, so I think I might be picking up some of those blister sets he was mentioning, but yeah, I dunno.

Any thoughts?

Anyone out there planning to re-base their army? I personally like circle > square, so just for aesthetics I would be (Granted much of mine is not based/painted, so I'm not risking a paint job quite).

I wonder if 3rd party companies will be dropping their scenic square base ranges due to GW making this move, if the market will simply not have a high enough demand. Or they could just do them as print-on-demand items that you have to request I suppose, rather than keeping extensive stocks. Dunno.

Cela Shyish

Grave Guard
Dec 14, 2012
I like both square and round, so I'll likely just stick with the ones I've got and re-base new things instead. I miiiight consider rebasing depending on how I feel (since I think one model in my entire army is properly based anyway, still a lot of work though.

Lord Elpus

Ghoul
Mar 19, 2012
I'll be sticking with square, ALL my fanasty armies are based and I do not fancy changing 150 zombies, or approx 4k of Night Goblins!

Reactions: Dragonet

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
I'll be sticking with square, ALL my fanasty armies are based and I do not fancy changing 150 zombies, or approx 4k of Night Goblins!
Yeah, I.. can't even imagine how many goblins that even is. At all.

And really I think the square vs round are similar enough at 20-40mm sizes, but I much prefer the ovular bases for the Calvary. I HATE the rectangles.. I don't even know why. Chariots and Monsters then too, since they usually have rectangle shaped ones.

But I still want to re-base my full armies, even if it sounds silly. :ghost:

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
I might re-base as it's an excuse for me to change the base scene for my army and i've been willing to do that for some time. I still need to see what i'm going for as a scene but if i do i'm probably in for rounds and keep my square bases stored =]

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
I'll use the bases that come with the set so for AoS minis like the new Sigmarites I guess that's round but I'm not rebasing anything and my old boxes I haven't constructed yet are going to be put on the squares they came with.

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
Square and round together tick off my OCD like mental, cannot stand it. And I have a group of friends down in London who intend to continue playing 8th Ed. So I will be sticking to square bases. Currently I am in the process of transferring all my regimentally based infantry onto individual square bases.

Ol'timer

Ghoul
Oct 2, 2014
So I log on to ask about basing and I see I've been beat to the punch line lol.
I'm only looking at getting bases for some of the large stuff,( corpse cart, black coach etc.) and leaving the rest as is for now. Depends what we get for new stuff latter.

Problem I have is working on fluff pc. On the larger square bases. In the past they count as 4 skelly's, but now only count as one. SO.... Just build a fluff Pc. Or set for 4. Probably end up putting only 1-2 on it plus the decorations.

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
So I log on to ask about basing and I see I've been beat to the punch line lol.
I'm only looking at getting bases for some of the large stuff,( corpse cart, black coach etc.) and leaving the rest as is for now. Depends what we get for new stuff latter.

Problem I have is working on fluff pc. On the larger square bases. In the past they count as 4 skelly's, but now only count as one. SO.... Just build a fluff Pc. Or set for 4. Probably end up putting only 1-2 on it plus the decorations.
That is possibly the most confusing statement. But I think I understand! When you say "fluff pc." you are referring to "Unit fillers" right? Everything you seem to be saying leads me to that conclusion, and I am assuming you are using "pc." as short for piece (Which is only barely shorter, and very much less understandable, no offense :ghost: ).

At any rate, I personally plan to make full on "unit fillers" on round bases. As long as units are massed in a way such that they are wholly within the inner part of the unit (Say, 3" from the outside models) they shouldn't need to be individual models to respond to game play circumstances, from what I have thought about it (No Templates to apply? Round bases need not count individual models for shooting now!). And as long as I keep a pool of "change" skeletons/zombies to trade out for the larger "fillers" of 3-8 models then it should be fine because I can simply pick them up and replace them on the board. Of course I would ask my opponent permission, just so no one feels like I'm simply trying to leverage advantage or cheat or the likes. But, I'll be damned if I give up unit fillers for AoS. I love unit fillers, the style and modeling aspect are by-far-and-away what was my favorite part of WHFB, making units that had "scenes" playing out in them was amazingly awesome. And I will continue to do so. Hopefully my opponents can see I just like the hobby aspect, and hopefully they will look nice enough for them to want them on the table, rather than people rejecting them. But if they do I can abide by such when I need to :ghost:

Especially for larger units, 30+ or so, I can see unit fillers still being a thing. But once you get lower than 20 you'll probably want to avoid using it quite as much as we may have been able to previously.

I'm excited to base up models on round, such a better look IMO :vampire1:

Ol'timer

Ghoul
Oct 2, 2014
Lol, sorry for the shortened wording. I type like crap on my phone. Yes unit fillers is what I meant. Example below, I have one larger square base that it set as a front corner to my 20 skeletons. It has the skeleton signpost from the giant kit in the front right corner with fence pieces along the front and right side. Normally I would count it as a placement for 4 skelletons due to its footprint, removing it and adding it as such. But as I understood it, now 1 base counts as 1 model.
Worse case I use it as a display piece for looks ( as it really is anyway hence the fluff comment.) and don't play with that base, just means more models. But I do like your idea exspeicaly when moving ranks before close combat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 14

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Individually, I think round bases look better, but in units I like the ranked look of square bases and the ease of magnetized unit trays for deployment and movement (even if they aren't ideal for Age of Sigmar's wonky shaped, mixed-unit formations).

So in general, I'll be sticking to square bases, but I might re-do some of my heroes? A lot of our characters are far larger than looks good on a 20mm square base, and I really hate when a model hangs out over its base in all directions. Vlad, Krell, I could easily see myself re-basing these guys on 32mm rounds. Then again, having some round and some square bases would bother me as well, so maybe I'll go to 40mm squares, build up some scenery, so they can still rank in with their units, even if not quite perfectly?

Honestly, much as I still like 8th, it's dead where I am, and KoW just isn't my game, so keeping models 8e playable is not a high priority for me.

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
Individually, I think round bases look better, but in units I like the ranked look of square bases and the ease of magnetized unit trays for deployment and movement (even if they aren't ideal for Age of Sigmar's wonky shaped, mixed-unit formations).

So in general, I'll be sticking to square bases, but I might re-do some of my heroes? A lot of our characters are far larger than looks good on a 20mm square base, and I really hate when a model hangs out over its base in all directions. Vlad, Krell, I could easily see myself re-basing these guys on 32mm rounds. Then again, having some round and some square bases would bother me as well, so maybe I'll go to 40mm squares, build up some scenery, so they can still rank in with their units, even if not quite perfectly?

Honestly, much as I still like 8th, it's dead where I am, and KoW just isn't my game, so keeping models 8e playable is not a high priority for me.
Yeah, 8th playability is low on my priorities as well. Plus if I really had to I imagine I could place a handful of round-based units on a correctly sized movement tray to "proxy" the units, and tally wounds with dice or some such. I mean, at that point it's almost KoW in the hobby aspect. But I'd only do that in the extreme that my close friends wanted to try a match of The-Game-That-Was.

And I agree that ranked units can be very nice looking when done up very well, and the unit as a whole has a visual composition that draws them all together. But when they are simply being painted up for table-standard type stuff I'd rather don't care if they are ranked or not. Either way, the more models on the table will beg questions of how to move large units with ease, and simple trays might happen regardless of their tactical viability (Or oddly shaped to better fit the formation desired). Although I've played Tyranids forever, and I just pile those idiot-bugs up one at a time. Typically I just move the first row or two then move to another unit and follow the rest when my opponent is reacting to something to minimize "burned" time from the actual physical process of movement.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
Personally I'm staying on square bases and playing 8th more than AoS, though I've had a couple of games and I don't mind it.

Could I recommend either pegs or magnets? This does give an in-game advantage, allowing a large number of models on a single base, it also allows more interactive positioning of the models and permits removal of casualties.

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
admittedly there are few things that look cooler than a ranked horde of spearletons... three ranked hordes of spearletons in a battle line maybe...

I have a sneaky suspicion we will see those custom base makers providing the doubled up square and round compatible bases. Base x of war already have one out for daemon style bases.

Azakael

Skeleton
Quick and dirty answer:
Vampire Counts, Empire, Orcs and Goblins (Course my Gobbo Fanatics are already on rounds... :D ), Dwarves - All remaining on square bases. Even things added to the army down the road. It makes them the most compatible with the most games.

Though I'll admit, I've been half-tempted to rebase my metal ghouls on rounds as I preferred them as skirmishers, rather than rank-and-file troops, and I think rounds are better for skirmishing troops.

Small Wood Elf Kinband (Just enough to field the AoS Battalion Scroll.) - Since I haven't started it yet, going round. After all, it'll likely only be used in "skirmish" style games, as it will not get any larger than one box for each War Scroll needed.

Last edited:

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
Khorne warband also on circle bases. All bases nearly finished actually for the warband.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
I have around 12,000 points in models and about half of that is painted. From a craft perspective, no way in hell am I... A) going to put in the effort of rebasing everything and 2) I am not going to shell out what is estimated to be about $250-300, and III) I already have my movement trays and storage boxes perfectly fitted to contain my whole army and that will go out the window with larger bases.

From a player perspective, I don't want to increase the base size because it will mean I can't fit as many models in a combat, unless overlapping is allowed (it won't be), but even then, I will still be losing 1-3 models per unit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu