New Details on End Times Khaine - Book 3 (the Elves!)

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
So, I've got two friends who played a game with the new rules yesterday. One of them loved the rules and the other hated them. I've haven't had a chance to talk to the friend who hated them as he's beeen at work all day, but the other friend has been sharing his insights. This is a summary of what he likes:

1) Small spells are easy to cast and you can prepare for and dispel them easily.
2) Big nuke spells are unreliable now as you can't rely on rolling enough dice to use them. This includes end time spells. This makes you use them less.
3) Dice pools were roughly 10-12 dice for caster and 8 dice or so for dispeller. So it wasn't to crazy.
4) Spell choices were a bit crazy, but not so bad as you tend to only focus on the lower casting spells that you can get off with 2-3 dice.
5) Dispel scroll was way less auto-include. The other arcane items way more useful. Powerscroll for example is huge.
6) Defenses against magic is more useful, things like magic resistance or items that boost your bonuses to dispelling.

The friend who liked it seemed to focus on the small spells and stopping his opponent's small castings. The friend who didn't was never able to get spells off because he was trying to do bigger spells and failing or would do little spells and they get stopped. He literally was never able to cast a spell the whole game.

So, it is interesting that end times magic has had this effect. Its shook up nuke spells, arcane items and how you plan your tactics around magic, all with a single D6.

My impression is GW knows what they've unleashed on us. Right now a lot of the outrage is coming from players who haven't used or adapt to the rules. It means they know exactly where the problems are in the system and with one rule were able to take the current system and shift its priorities and balance so dramatically. If we get something in 9th that has the same priorities (more variety in arcane items, less nuke spells and more utility spells, six-dicing toned down) but less cumbersome elements (i.e. all the spells know and tons of dice rolling), then I think they will get 9th's magic system right. I really doubt the system is going to be 8th with special rules tacked on.

I'll post again when I hear from the other friend.
 
Good to know! I had the feeling that was going to be in our magic phases with my friends, but none of us have the Khaine book yet, so we don't have the rules. Maybe this weekend we'll play and see how we do.

:D
 
Speaking of magic...ish, I have a question that I'll place with the *SPOILER* alert as a precaution for those of you who haven't read the story :D

Given the time lapse of the events that unfold during Khaine and the Fall of Altdorf, do you think Karl Franz is the embodiment of Heaven's magic, just as Nagash is of Death magic and Malekith is of Shadow?

I say this because his new bound spell sounds more like Uranon's Thunderbolt than, perhaps, any Light magic. Could be wrong, but the destruction of the Vortex should have chosen new avatars, and perhaps Karl is that of Heavens... what do you think!?

Thanks!
 

I tried using the spoiler feature on my phone but I must have missed something.
Anyway..in response to your question Demian...

SPOILER ALERT
I definitely believe you are correct. Teclis also felt a sense of familiarity when the wind found it's place in the empire of men, all the more reason to suspect that it's Karl.

Furthermore, I think the new patriarch of magic will be imbued with the wind of beasts and settra will be enhanced by the wind of light once it leaves teclis' staff.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Demian
Yeah, I thought so. We'll have to see.

I was a bit disapointed that Vlad didn't do something in this book... he loves being everywhere! :D hahaha

also, for the spoiler stuff, hmmm you could try the code in the phone [ spoiler ] *text* [ / spoiler ] (without spaces, mind you) and it should work :D
 
One final question here...

uhmm... I've noticed that there are *two* sources of lore for the Elves...

one is the novel by Gav Thorpe, The Curse of Khaine

and the other is the first book of the End Times 3: Khaine (book 1)

I've noticed that while one book tells of (at least in the final part) how the Elves as a whole survived (ET: Khaine), the other tells of a bit more from Malekith's side of the story and personal stuff between him and Alit Anar (Curse of Khaine).

So... are both canon in this? (I'm sure they are, but some things are not included in the other book), and if so, are there any more "secrets" or discrepancies between the two books? D:
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu