• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
At £50 I'm tempted; my FLGS is offering £45 which for the Mortis Engine and Hexwraiths alone is pretty good going, however a decent eBay price on an ME will take all the savings out of it and keep GW out of my wallet.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
I would pick that up if I didn't already have 8 hex wraiths, 8 black knights, coven throne, mortis engine and 4 spirit hosts.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
One of the players at the local store (one of the only two players apart from myself who still seem to be playing this) seems likely to get the box, so i they do and I get a look at the formation rules, I'll let you guys know what they do.

I won't be getting it myself, though. I thought about it, but ended up getting a necrosphinx instead. I've wanted one for ages, and with their AoS rules actually being pretty damn badass, I figured now was as good a time as any.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
Good idea. I have the version with the tomb guard on the back. Nice thing is that you get a tomb king hero for free if you don't glue him on the thing.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I already have a tomb king model I like more. I'm considering taking the one from the sphinx, giving him a dagger instead of his glaive, maybe doing a head swap, gluing all the extra bugs in the kit to him and his base, and calling him Apophas.

I think I'll also give one of the tomb guard in the kit a whip, and call him a necrotect. Another spare tomb guard head from the kit is going on an old islands of blood high elf mage lord to make a liche priest.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
I'll let you know what the Nurgle formation one does as Ive already preordered the set. I was intending ongetting them for my 40k army but unfortunately only age of sigmar has formation rules not 40k so chances are I'll use them for age of Sigmar (or both since both games are on circle bases now) otherwise just some more models I can practice painting on. I'm also very tempted to get the warriors of chaos one as well as it looks interesting depending on the rules

Last edited:

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Hrm. The Undead formation consists of a mortis engine, a single unit of spirit hosts, and a single unit of hexwraiths. In each hero phase, you can choose to remove either the hosts or the wraiths from the table, and then re-deploy them w/in 6" of the engine but at least 3" from enemy models.

It's... well, it's an interesting formation. I'm sure there are clever tactical aspects to it - perhaps deploying the spirits on one side of the table do draw your opponents attention to that flank, only to later deploy the engine on the other side of the table and pull the ghosts over in the first couple turns; or set up a wall of ghosts to halt an enemy melee units charge, then pull surviving hosts out of the way to clear room for a counter charge by something else; or pull hex wraiths out of combat so they can use their fly by attack in the movement phase before charging back in; etc. Would be stronger if they had some charging bonus to benefit from recharging every turn like the lizards formation does (it allows the units to 'reform' around one of its models, potentially pulling the unit out of combat, then move normally, potentially charging again). Still, redeployment rules like this tend to have interesting applications that aren't immediately apparent. That said...

It's not the big upgrade for the mortis engine to give it that 'wow factor' I currently think is a bit lacking in its rules, at least compared to the model's physical presence on the tabletop. And I have no idea how it compares to the other formations (apart from the lizardmen one, which looks like it would tear these ghosts apart), which, again, are all probably a fair bit stronger than this one if played straight out of the box, in particular considering that this box has no real heroes or spell casters. But with slightly larger unit sizes, and in a force where this formation wasn't the only thing your were running, I could see it being pretty useful.

Again, I won't be picking up the box set itself any time soon, as I already have a mortis engine, and am not in any particular rush to add a coven throne to my collection, but I might proxy the formation with my black knight to try it out, and maybe grab a unit of hex wraiths if I like out it plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menkeroth

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
I'm happy with my Nurgle purchase as I got in the box set a Herald, 3 nurgling swarms, 10 plague bearers and 3 plague drones for $137 nzd (my local supplier sells it cheaper than GW which was nice) I loved how cheap it was as even if I payed GW full price it would of well been over $200 separately so essentially I got the plague bearers and nurglings for free. The formation rule is quite nice as well not anything crazy just that in every hero phase as long as a unit from the plaguebrand formation is within 7 of the herald then they can restore one slain model to the unit. Ive now got the beginnings of a age of sigmar army which I am planning on adding some warriors of chaos maybe even another plaguebrand formation especially how cheap they are.

Can you have multiples of the same formations not a AOS army?

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Can you have multiples of the same formations not a AOS army?

Yes, you can have multiples of the same formation, much as you can have multiples of the same unit. Take care to ensure you and your opponent can tell which models are part of which formation, though.

On the other hand, the size of the units in the formation isn't set, so if you get that second box, you might be better off just doubling the size of your units, so they're less likely to be killed in a single round and more likely to benefit from the free healing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu