• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hey guys,

I'm a long time WHFB enthusiast and am coming back to the game since a year and a half recess from it. Before taking a break from it, I had experiences playing WOC and as HE. Since I had to relocate for work, I had to give up the play element of the hobby and sold my armies to friends.

Coming back to it and with a new group of people, I have the ability to play once again. I found my old Dark Elf stuff in storage so I've considered running them. But I'm torn on running Ogres as we have maybe one other person who plays them around here.

I'd like to get a fully painted army ready to go again as I've always been more of a painter than a player, but this time around I'd like to really capture both elements of the hobby.

So...Ogres or Dark Elves? What are your experiences? I'd like to have a competitive but fun army.

Thanks!

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
That is really a tough question.. But as a painter as well I would go with the models you find the most fun to paint up, both DE and OK are very capable armies that IMO are top tier. As an OK player I have to say I very much enjoy painting them and playing with them, though it is rather hard making lists that aren't tough for your opponent to deal with unless you go all out on the subpar choices. But you can pretty much take exactly the models you like the best and still win a lot.

Both armies have, to me, visually appealing models who are cool to paint up.

If money is a factor you can get a long way with the ogre battalion box, the DE lineup seems overpriced but this might be less of a problem to you if you have a lot of DE models already :)

Either way I'd love to see your skills in action so please make a plog no matter what army you choose :)

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Bullhax said:
That is really a tough question.. But as a painter as well I would go with the models you find the most fun to paint up, both DE and OK are very capable armies that IMO are top tier. As an OK player I have to say I very much enjoy painting them and playing with them, though it is rather hard making lists that aren't tough for your opponent to deal with unless you go all out on the subpar choices. But you can pretty much take exactly the models you like the best and still win a lot.

If money is a factor you can get a long way with the ogre battalion box, the DE lineup seems overpriced but this might be less of a problem to you if you have a lot of DE models already :)

Either way I'd love to see your skills in action so please make a plog no matter what army you choose :)

Thanks for the reply!

Oh I'll get a PLOG going. I do like both sets of models honestly. I do have quite a bit of DE stuff, but I'm afraid of biting off much more than I can chew. The Ogres could be fun since there is a lower model count and I have a feeling I'll feel quite ambitious about painting once I have a fully painted army up and ready.

Now on playing terms, how predictable are the OK? I'm just worried about being conceived as a one-trick pony. I have a few opponents around that do tend to tailor their lists at times; can the OK overcome that?

All the best,

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Redarmy27 said:
Bullhax said:

Thanks for the reply!

Oh I'll get a PLOG going. I do like both sets of models honestly. I do have quite a bit of DE stuff, but I'm afraid of biting off much more than I can chew. The Ogres could be fun since there is a lower model count and I have a feeling I'll feel quite ambitious about painting once I have a fully painted army up and ready.

Now on playing terms, how predictable are the OK? I'm just worried about being conceived as a one-trick pony. I have a few opponents around that do tend to tailor their lists at times; can the OK overcome that?

All the best,

Jake

Low model count was my main reason for choosing them as well, I'm nit done with them by far but I love it non the less!

Oh OK are top tier if you tend to play competitive lists you have loads of options, iron guts are insane put a defensive character wall infront of them they aren't going nowhere. Firebellies are fun to play and rather good to boot! The SM is insane and kittet with fencers blades, glittering scales and the greedy fist is rather good both defensive and offensive.. Mournfang can churn out so many attacks it's not even funny! Ironblasters and leadbelchers are very nice too.! Ogres are fast with M6 across the board..

P-sun will wreck your day though :) A lot!

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Well I've made up my mind: Ogres.

Let's knock some S**T around, shall we?

I found two deals that I'm intrigued by... which would you choose as a good base starter....

$200
1 Tyrant
1 Slaughtermaster/butcher
1 Firebelly
8 Leadbelchers
12 Ogres
12 Ironguts

or....

$240 for:
-1 Tyrant
-1 Slaughtermaster/Butcher
-24 Gnoblars
-10 Ogres
-4 Ironguts
-4 Leadbelchers
-3 Mournfang cavalry
-5 Golgfangs Mercenary Ogres
-1 Ironblaster -1 Thundertusk
-1 Stonehorn
-bag of bits

Thoughts? I'm rather pumped!!

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Redarmy27 said:
Well I've made up my mind: Ogres.

Let's knock some S**T around, shall we?

I found two deals that I'm intrigued by... which would you choose as a good base starter....

$200
1 Tyrant
1 Slaughtermaster/butcher
1 Firebelly
8 Leadbelchers
12 Ogres
12 Ironguts

or....

$240 for:
-1 Tyrant
-1 Slaughtermaster/Butcher
-24 Gnoblars
-10 Ogres
-4 Ironguts
-4 Leadbelchers
-3 Mournfang cavalry
-5 Golgfangs Mercenary Ogres
-1 Ironblaster -1 Thundertusk
-1 Stonehorn
-bag of bits

Thoughts? I'm rather pumped!!

Jake

Bundle two!!!!

The first one has too many core ogres and not much else so you will have to buy more stuff right off the bat. The second bundle lacks some ironguts, I'd convert some of the regular ogres if you have bits for it..

You can play with mostly ogre bulls but they can't bring a magic banner which is often needed for the +1 Ld.

But bundle two will give you a lot of playroom.

They both lack cannons but you don't need them to win, I rarely take the cannons anymore, but they are insanely good though :)

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
It's a been a long time since I've faced Ogres but wouldn't a lvl 4, bsb and firebelly be a better character setup for a gutstar?

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Seneschal said:
It's a been a long time since I've faced Ogres but wouldn't a lvl 4, bsb and firebelly be a better character setup for a gutstar?

That is a good setup :) But neither bundles offer that :) And gutstars aren't the only setup ogres can run ;)

I might consider making the tyrant into a BSB. Or making him from bits and just use a regular ogre, which is what I did.

My current setup is with skrag the slaughterer in a unit of 6 ogres. BSB in a unit of 9 IG's. Hunter on stonehorn, 4 mournfang, 3 single sabertusks, scraplauncher and a thundertusk.

It's not the most competitive list but it does well and is fun to play.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Bullhax said:
Seneschal said:

That is a good setup :) But neither bundles offer that :) And gutstars aren't the only setup ogres can run ;)

I might consider making the tyrant into a BSB. Or making him from bits and just use a regular ogre, which is what I did.

My current setup is with skrag the slaughterer in a unit of 6 ogres. BSB in a unit of 9 IG's. Hunter on stonehorn, 4 mournfang, 3 single sabertusks, scraplauncher and a thundertusk.

It's not the most competitive list but it does well and is fun to play.

Good lord! I know who I'm going to for OK help! I went with bundle 1 as the second one was getting up in price. I picked up the rulebook and two mournfang cavs. I am pumped! We're starting at 500 points and going upwards. We're not allowed to use magic/ leaders of magic until 1000 points. It's going to be an all out blood bath!

Bull, can you explain to me how the impact hits work with these guys in a formation and also the stomp rule?

Thanks guys!

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Hehe.

Sounds like a fun game :vampire3:

Well the good thing about bundle one is that you're set in core, you can easily convert a BSB from a regular ogre, remember different heads and ironfists in the mournfang kits and you will use shield arms on banner and musician so you've got more than you need in those kits.

Sure can:

Impact hits are made by all ogres in the front row when charging, you add the current rank bonus to the S of the attack.

A unit of 6 IG's in a 3x2 formation will do 3 impact hits on a charge at S5 (you don't add weapons). If you scored a 10, 11 or 12 on your charge distance roll each of your ogres in the front row does d3 impact hits in this case 3d3 impact hits at S5. So remember to mark and tell your opponent when/if you've rolled 10 or more upon charging, as it will give you a nice advantage in the CC phase. Impact hits hit automatically, are distributed as shooting and can benefit from banners and spells, important on your MF with the dragon hide banner.

Stomps has the ASL rule and are inflicted on infantry, war beasts and swarms. Again only models in base contact can make these. They hit automatically and are at the base S of the model (spells applies, not weapons, special rules or magic items (this was FAQ'ed) and are distributed as shooting (FAQ'ed too).
Taking the above example your IG's would inflict 3 S4 stomps.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
I’ve decided to go the route of using Ogre Kingdoms in an escalation league. One of the restrictions of the League is that you cannot have any magic users until the point levels reaches 1,000pts. The first round will consist of 500 points and then we’ll step up to 750 points. I’m just looking to get some feedback on a list or two that could see some combat this week. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I normally play in a laid back group of people, but I’ve noticed we’ve gained some pretty hardcore High Elf players who like to sneer at other armies, namely Chaos and Ogre Kingdom armies.

List 1:

Bruiser – Heavy armor and Ironfist - with the Ironguts
5-Ironguts – standard of Bellower

3- Leadbelchers

1- Sabretusk for chaff and any sort of war machine harassment.
498 points

List 2 – More mobile and hard-hitting

Bruiser – charmed shield, heavy armor, and great weapon – with the Ironguts
4- Ironguts – standard barer and bellower

2 – Mournfang cavalry – heavy armor and ironfists

2 – Sabretusks
499 points.

Thoughts? Then onto 750 points!

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Redarmy27 said:
I’ve decided to go the route of using Ogre Kingdoms in an escalation league. One of the restrictions of the League is that you cannot have any magic users until the point levels reaches 1,000pts. The first round will consist of 500 points and then we’ll step up to 750 points. I’m just looking to get some feedback on a list or two that could see some combat this week. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I normally play in a laid back group of people, but I’ve noticed we’ve gained some pretty hardcore High Elf players who like to sneer at other armies, namely Chaos and Ogre Kingdom armies.

List 1:

Bruiser – Heavy armor and Ironfist - with the Ironguts
5-Ironguts – standard of Bellower

3- Leadbelchers

1- Sabretusk for chaff and any sort of war machine harassment.
498 points

List 2 – More mobile and hard-hitting

Bruiser – charmed shield, heavy armor, and great weapon – with the Ironguts
4- Ironguts – standard barer and bellower

2 – Mournfang cavalry – heavy armor and ironfists

2 – Sabretusks
499 points.

Thoughts? Then onto 750 points!

Jake

Who will you be playing? My biggest fear is that you will get those four IG's stuck in combat with 50 something cheap unit.. I'd go with the mournfang, 2+ armour save and a buttload of attacks is really nice at such low points, but depending on what opponent I'd go with regular ogres with either ironfists or AHW depending on who you can potentially meet. I like the idea with the sabertusks as you will better you deployment options, and lessen the risk of ending up in a bad situation. I'd consider very quickly to get the BSB upgrade for your bruiser, maybe even fit it in at 500 points.

Remember your ogres run when the kitty dies/runs keep this in mind when moving especially without that high of a Ld and especially if you do not include a BSB.

What were you thinking of going with for 750?

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Bullhax said:
Who will you be playing? My biggest fear is that you will get those four IG's stuck in combat with 50 something cheap unit.. I'd go with the mournfang, 2+ armour save and a buttload of attacks is really nice at such low points, but depending on what opponent I'd go with regular ogres with either ironfists or AHW depending on who you can potentially meet. I like the idea with the sabertusks as you will better you deployment options, and lessen the risk of ending up in a bad situation. I'd consider very quickly to get the BSB upgrade for your bruiser, maybe even fit it in at 500 points.

Remember your ogres run when the kitty dies/runs keep this in mind when moving especially without that high of a Ld and especially if you do not include a BSB.

What were you thinking of going with for 750?

I'll be playing a group of High Elf players, woo hoo, haha. I'll tweak the list around a bit and see what else I can do to it. It's a bit weird only having a few models like this. It's actually quite nice. You're right though, I am a little nervous about them panicking.

As for the jump to 750, I'm not quite sure. What do you say, wise one?

Also, any thoughts on a color scheme for these guys? I'm trying to think what sort of basing scheme I want to do with them.

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Redarmy27 said:
I'll be playing a group of High Elf players, woo hoo, haha. I'll tweak the list around a bit and see what else I can do to it. It's a bit weird only having a few models like this. It's actually quite nice. You're right though, I am a little nervous about them panicking.

Also, any thoughts on a color scheme for these guys? I'm trying to think what sort of basing scheme I want to do with them.

Jake

Well at 750 I'd go with a bruiser BSB, an IG unit with the Ld banner, (maybe going with a larger unit of bulls) upgrade the mournfangs to a unit of three. If your allowed to bring a caster I'd go with the firebelly that breathweap is really nice, and removing regen against that pesky monster you just hit is very nice. With IG's and Ld banner you have Ld 9 on that unit. But a BSB is a high priority, especially because with defensive gear they are tough as hell having it in the front row limiting the attacks on RnF.

Using both sabertusks and mournfang will be very devastating and having two redirectors at even low points is important as you have few ranks, few units and models. Hitting the right enemy the right way will be very important as getting stuck in some tarpit unit will destroy your game. Especially the mournfang hits insanely hard on the charge.

Colour is very hard, you have to choose on a skintone, cloth to contrast both skin and base. I usually think of ogres as bad at caring for their weapons / gear so rust and corrosion is something you could include easily. Ogres loves food, blood and guts. Blood could be included with ease, I actually like the GW ogres who have their arms dipped in blood. Skin tattoos and tribal markings will break the large areas of skin.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Bullhax said:
Redarmy27 said:

Jake

Well at 750 I'd go with a bruiser BSB, an IG unit with the Ld banner, (maybe going with a larger unit of bulls) upgrade the mournfangs to a unit of three. If your allowed to bring a caster I'd go with the firebelly that breathweap is really nice, and removing regen against that pesky monster you just hit is very nice. With IG's and Ld banner you have Ld 9 on that unit. But a BSB is a high priority, especially because with defensive gear they are tough as hell having it in the front row limiting the attacks on RnF.

Using both sabertusks and mournfang will be very devastating and having two redirectors at even low points is important as you have few ranks, few units and models. Hitting the right enemy the right way will be very important as getting stuck in some tarpit unit will destroy your game. Especially the mournfang hits insanely hard on the charge.

Colour is very hard, you have to choose on a skintone, cloth to contrast both skin and base. I usually think of ogres as bad at caring for their weapons / gear so rust and corrosion is something you could include easily. Ogres loves food, blood and guts. Blood could be included with ease, I actually like the GW ogres who have their arms dipped in blood. Skin tattoos and tribal markings will break the large areas of skin.

I'm pumped! Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the middle of working on my guys today. It's different for me go run a list with only 10 models in it for 500 points!

I've decided to go for a blasted wasteland basing scheme. Burnt granite and other colors will be used.

What would you recommend for sizes of my movement trays? How many wide would you say?

Thanks!

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
sounds really cool. I look forward to seeing your work soon. :)

Well that is actually quite hard and will depend on your final loadout, my personal favourite sweetspot is 4 wide in bigger games as more will only allow for one core unit. 10 IG's with a SM and a BSB both kitted out limits the opponent to only hitting on one RnF troop, but reforming so non are hit in CC might be clever in some match ups. I field them 3 wide too. Mine therefore are 160mm x 120mm (4x3), but I change up the amount of ogres a lot depending on the unit / army so there is often empty sports.

The MF I field both 3 and 4 wide, 4 can really churn out a lot of attacks.

My leadbelchers is either 4x2 or 2x2, two unit of two can be awesome at clearing chaff and be used as emergency redirectors if your bulk units are about to be hit in the flank.

If I field gnoblars 100mm x 40mm (5x2) with traps for non panic causing redirectors that can be quite good against big units especially those with heavy armour.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu