RIP WHFB 2015

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
3,068
Nashville, TN
Zombies
1,655
So this is big news. From Darnok, one of the reliable rumor guys at Warseer:

---------
If you like Warhammer, I suggest you better take a seat.

Over the last few months I got a few glimpses on what WHF could change to in the very near future. I have collected messages, asked questions, and tried to form a somewhat coherent picture. The one thing I believe by now is: Warhammer in its current form will no longer be supported by GW. It will be transformed into something else, with everything built up in background and most of the model range being kicked out of the door.

To give you an insight into some of the messages I got, have a look at the following. Please note that I am paraphrasing at times, and have cut out (hopefully) everything that could lead to the original identities of my friendly birdies.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Birdy
- 9th Edition to pick up where the ET leaves off in fluff, plus a couple of hundred years or so (to reboot the setting).

- The Warhammer World gets shattered on a dimensional level during the climax of the ET. No more "map of the Old World" - it's now little bubbles of reality, where pockets of civilisation try desperately to eke a living before the next collision with another bubble, which may be full of Chaos. (To address the problem of "how come my Tomb Kings of Khemri are fighting against Wood Elves from Athel Loren?", not that I get the impression that either of those will still exist, but you get the idea)

- New faction... heavily armoured, religious, "good" human warriors fighting with the power of the gods. (Warhammer Space Marines, basically). Karl Franz Ascended seems to be the prototype or precursor for this concept, AFAICT.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Another Birdy
9th edition will have 6 factions. Model diversity cut in half shelf space. New world and new age so current factions and lore aren't recognizable at all. Each new faction has like 3 core units that will always be on the shelf. Much faster releases of stuff, mainly characters and special units of 2-5 fancy models (like Morghasts) that have their own rules right in the box, so not dependent on a static army book. Many of the these non-core models are only available for a limited time (say 6 months to a year), so they don't take up shelf space forever and ever. Many existing models are not usable in 9th.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Birdy #3
We can expect the next edition of Fantasy to throw everything up in the air. The whole End Times move has been to wean people onto a whole new take on the Warhammer world and it's going to start with every army being "chaosified". We can expect army play styles and appearance to change quite dramatically and there will be a whole load of new models being released early on to tie everything together. This has caused quite a stir back at GW HQ as there are a lot of people behind the scenes (some of which are very well known to us) who don't like the changes that have been made. I have also been told that the models due to be released are some of the best to date!
Add to that (and by "Birdy Prime" I mean my best source so far):

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Birdy Prime
'9th' [or] whatever is next for fantasy [...] coming 2015 in the summer. The new faction [plus] future releases after this point for five 'existing' factions (which plus this would make six) […] but I think there will be [...] more.
As you can see, it will be drastic. It seems like those „Spanish rumours“ might have had some more flesh on them than I thought: I am by now sorry for my sometimes nasty words about them. And despite my remorse about ever mentioning it, I think my statement about a „ragestorm of epic proportions“ could have been correct after all.

This whole thing will turn out to be either correct or not in less than six months. Hopefully we can get over our worst emotions until then.


P.S.: I have sat on most of this since right before Christmas, but decided I didn't want to ruin anybodies holidays. I also had high hopes for somebody relieving me from this stuff... but that hope was lost.
--------
 
On the bright side, just like 40k we can now expect updates to all our favorite religious zealot human factions throughout the year! /sarcasm
 
I don't buy it, or at least not that these changes will be as "earth-shattering" as they're letting them on to be.

Limited edition models is ridiculous. Why be concerned about shelf space when they're already pushing for online-only? Limited edition "in store" perhaps, such that if you want to buy - say - TK or VC whose books haven't been available in years you'll have to order it online. But fully "limited edition" models where a whole faction / unit / etc. can't be purchased after 6 months or a year? Da fuq? That's just crazy talk.

I'm guessing there's a seed of truth to these rumours - just as there was with the so-called "Spanish Rumours," but that everything else is the result of aggressive misinterpretation. Because seriously, these changes make no commercial sense.

Watch this "new armoured faction" be Bretonnia + knightly orders, which I've always said would be the Space Marines of WHFB if it wasn't for those silly head statues.
 
I don't buy it, or at least not that these changes will be as "earth-shattering" as they're letting them on to be.

Limited edition models is ridiculous. Why be concerned about shelf space when they're already pushing for online-only? Limited edition "in store" perhaps, such that if you want to buy - say - TK or VC whose books haven't been available in years you'll have to order it online. But fully "limited edition" models where a whole faction / unit / etc. can't be purchased after 6 months or a year? Da fuq? That's just crazy talk.

I'm guessing there's a seed of truth to these rumours - just as there was with the so-called "Spanish Rumours," but that everything else is the result of aggressive misinterpretation. Because seriously, these changes make no commercial sense.

Watch this "new armoured faction" be Bretonnia + knightly orders, which I've always said would be the Space Marines of WHFB if it wasn't for those silly head statues.

It makes great market sense. Why pay for stock space when you can sell "limited time" units right out of the factory. The stuff on shelves barely moves these days, it probably costs them more for storage then they sell at this point.
 
I'm with Malisteen on this. I can't see GW giving up on kits they are most famous for. As for shelf stock not moving, that's always been an issue, not just for them, but for all store operations.
 
In some ways it would be a good thing. The warhammer timeline has been in need of moving on, so anything that aids that is not a bad thing in my book. Things will be different in the aftermath of the end times but I like the idea of races scraping out an existence after the years of teetering on the brink of apocalypse.
5 amalgamated factions and one new one will irk people who's army gets squished. The people at bugmans brewery seem very worried about dwarfs getting this treatment, even though they've recently had new releases.
GW have been very good to us with releases so VC/UL players shouldn't have much to worry about... Hopefully!
 
The ninth edition starter has been rumored to be brettonians and "undead." That's all I'm going to say on this subject for now as I am bloody half-asleep
 
I'm not too happy with these new rumours so far, I honestly don't know whether I will continue collecting fantasy or indeed supporting anything else GW do, if it turns out as bad as predicted.

I totally agree something new needs to happen to fantasy and the timeline needs moving along, but this seems too extreme.

But I'll hold full judgement till more becomes clear.
(Bret's v Undead would be a pretty cool starter set)
 
THose starter rumors are old and thoroughly debunked. Current rumors are "Empire and... something."

Honestly, GW has been far far better at keeping a lid on major leaks lately. Reliable rumors before leaks from the white dwarf printers are all but non-existent at this point. This rumor simply isn't credible, regardless of who its coming from.

Maybe GW will do something that drastic. I mean, I'd be shocked, because again they wouldn't be releasing huge special characters like Thanquol and Glotkin if they were planning on invalidating them in a few months with a massive time skip, but GW's done dumb things before. But even if something vaguely similar did happen, I'd still call these rumors a 'lucky guess' rather than an actual leak.
 
I'm enjoying everybody's cautious optimism. Good on you, lads.

Yeah, we're not like the rest of the internet losing their shit.

I've said this elsewhere, but I see the fluff changes at least being really cool. You could imagine, say, the dwarfs taking to roaming between these planar "bubbles" on flotillas of airships, a la the Eldar in 40k. Dark Elves organizing pirate raiding parties into other bubbles. Tile-based map campaigns would suddenly make sense without having to consult the BRB map every time you put it together.


As for the "limited edition models," as I said I don't buy it. What I *do* see is these being "limited" in the sense of shelf space though, and going to "online only" after that. GW has been pushing that for a while, and honestly most retailers are probably frustrated at how much dead stock they have to carry from GW. If they were only required to carry a few core units for factions, then the "latest and greatest" starter set I'm sure they'd be thrilled, then push everything else to "online only." That way you can still build up a robust faction, but latecomers won't be unduly punished.


Honestly, my only big hope is that they don't totally squat Khemri. I love me some egyptian undead, and would be devastated if they write them out entirely.
 
As an experiment, sort of an "if it all does go tits up" kinda thing, I went looking at my armies to see what else I need to buy to have them as complete as I would ever want them, in the event that production ceased. I'm lucky as an Undead and Skaven player because neither will be going anywhere. The new ET love for Undead and Rats, coupled with Skaven being one of the better Copyrightable IP's GW has gives me hope.

But honestly, x3 Black Knight boxes, one more Hexxies box, a second Engine, x2 Warp Lighting Cannons, and x30 Plague Monks would sort my two armies completely. I could field all the combinations I'm interested in. And wow, that's not a very long list of purchases.
 
I have one question. Why does the setting have to move ahead? I don't understand why freezing a setting in time is a bad thing. All games involving historical forces ( Napoleonic, WWII, etc) are frozen in time. Why does Warhammer need to evolve?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Infernal Skull
Lots of industries do it. Marvel comics have been set ~6 years after Cap was unfrozen since, what, the sixties? They jokingly call it their sliding timescale.
 
I actually don't mind the time scale progressing however I really don't like this "bubbles in the warp thing"
I'd much rather see shattered fragments of the continents moving about on the seas and colliding for the battles instead.

Could explain the skirmish battles over the small islands and large battles for the bigger ones.

I checked my armies too, I only really have main armies of dark elves and undead, so I wouldn't come out of this too bad. I know it's only rumour atm, but I'm not sold on much of this.
 
I think with warhammer it is a case of why hasn't the timeline moved on? There is no reason for it to be frozen as they can create new characters and units to go with the timeline moving on.
I hated the fact the old world was stuck on the edge of a precipice but never getting any better or worse.
Thankfully Nagash has come back and decided to teach the chaos gods how to get things done!
 
All of the combining of armies and fluff stuff is perfectly fine... What is NOT fine is making all units have round bases and invalidating the hundreds of models I have spends hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on. If my collection becomes invalidated by new basing rules, I am not going to start over; the only option I see is just continuing to play 8th.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Infernal Skull
All of the combining of armies and fluff stuff is perfectly fine... What is NOT fine is making all units have round bases and invalidating the hundreds of models I have spends hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on. If my collection becomes invalidated by new basing rules, I am not going to start over; the only option I see is just continuing to play 8th.

Yeah...this really.

I don't understand where the desire for round bases is coming from, nor do I see it being beneficial. Removing units is one thing (especially since they're likely to bring a number of them back into rotation, like they did with Tyranids), but if you want to make sure that people don't transition to a new system just make it extraordinarily difficult for them to do so (i.e. rebasing all their models).

Shit that isn't happening: rebasing ~250 models.
 
Sounds like over reactions of epic proportions on warseer...reading through all the rumors 8th army books are compatible with 9th.

The only people who should be raging are those with Lizards, Dark Elf monsters, Tomb Kings and maybe Dwarves and Ogres...Vampire Counts are looking pretty good :)

Quote from fait
As for how it interacts with the current rules.
9th edition takes place after the sundering that brought about from the End Times.
So for the purposes of compatibility, you can use your 8th edition hardback book, representing a section of the culture that hasn't been horrifically changed by the End Times (Recognizing it will have the same drawbacks of using a dated book that are experienced elsewhere).
You can use End Times rules/concepts, representing a section that is still being torn apart.
You can use the new, post-end times rules to represent what is "current."
All the books (again, with the caveat that older books may not be optimal for the new core rules [but truthfully the core rules aren't changing wildly, like 5th to 6th edition 40k, really more of a tidied up 8th edition with a brand new setting]) are designed to be compatible.​
 
Last edited:

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu