• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Sanai's Vampire Counts Paintlog- WIP Test Skeleton wearing flayed skin!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
RE: Sanai's Imperial Guard Paintlog- Now with undead, and 50% more ORWANGE!

Modified the colour scheme of my ghouls. Going for a more natural look. Probably gunna dump the orange idea and go for natural subdued colours.

witchking1980

Black Knight

The new theme looks nice too! One wash of devlan mud could give to the model even more depth in the shadows.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

Heh, it is already washed with Devlan Mud, but I can do another if you think it is a good idea.

I've always thought that the ghouls looks much better in more natural flesh colours rather than the green or blue ones that you see more often. Good job!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

Bought myself the Warhammer: Battle Magic cards today, and read through them all out of interest (and nostalgia! I remember reading through my dads original magic cards!)
Looking at the Lores of Beasts and Metal have particularly inspired me, so a new theme is apparent for my army that fits well with the natural colours I am doing.
Expect to see more pics later today, im gunna knuckle down and finish my ghouls. Also expect a revised pledge to focus on my vampire counts rather than my imperial guard.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

Okay, have finished the ghouls(apart from basing), but I cannot find my camera, so no pictures for now.
Here is what I am planning to change my pledge to (as life has been hectic as all hell lately and my motivation has taken a nosedive)
10 Ghouls (just need to base em now)
20 skeletons with spears and command (4 or 5 of them are missing and need to be located)
corpse cart with necromancer
A converted vampire on foot (yet to be purchased, shall be a conversion of the winged vampire with wing removed, hair added, white lion chariot bits, etc)
20 zombies (need to be stripped of paint and redone)
If I have time, a mounted version of the above vampire (riding a lion)(rwaaoooorrrr!!!)
I know it is a huge reduction of my old pledge, but remember I have used a huuuge amount of my time trying to paint massive amounts of imperial guard.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood

The ghould odnt look bad would love to what your changing them too though to compare too. So find where you lost your camara at lol.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

I aint changing the ghouls (well they have recieved a fair bit more devlan mud) as they already fit with the new theme well enough for me. However, future ghouls will involve some interesting extra details (think pelts and fur)

Now for an overview of what the new theme is.
My old theme was focused around a carstein-born vampire lord, with the army planned to be painted in natural colours (bare metal instead of the usual red laquer, even on the blood knights, brown leathers/cloth, etc) with a focus on units like blood knights, skeletons, grave guard, black knights, carstein style vampires, etc.
The new theme involves a change of Bloodline. I have been inspired by reading of the strigoi, about how they were once a noble and powerful bloodline, with a story of lost glory and an ancient kingdom that has all but disapeared. My plan is for my vampire to evoke the bestial nature of the Strigoi, but to reach back towards their nobler past. My other vampire (Will have two vampire lords, one the general who is a combat vamp, the other a caster) will be a former amber wizard, who has been given the blood kiss, and as such will use the lore of beasts. The army will be painted with its metal metal, brown leathers, natural skintones and with black/white banners/ livery. I will probably purchase spare beastman or white lion bits to add furs, animal skulls, etc to parts of my army, and base them with some nice wilderness basing.
Hopefully, my vampire's dreams of recapturing the lost glory of strigos will not be in vain.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood

I really like your army theme sanai I too have loved the story of the strigoi but loved the blood dragons more. Looking forward to seeing your finished army, too bad your so far away Id love to play a game with my blood dragons agaisnt your army.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

Perhaps when WFO comes online, we can have a game of that using our own army lists.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood

I didnt think of that but yes that does sound great. Good luck with the pledge sanai

medwayscott

Grave Guard

I'd second that, metallic barrel. The trim and banding would work in the army colours though.

This is making me think about getting the guard codex off the shelf and carrying on with them. They are so much more versatile than a lot of gamers give them credit for (plus I'm a bit of a tread head!).

Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

Now heres some pics of my finished unit of ghouls (well, they still need basing, but you get what I mean)

Next up is my skellies and corpse cart, and stripping of paint off my zombies and the necromancer for the corpse cart.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
RE: Sanai's Vampire Counts Paintlog- Ghouls finished (except for basing!)

smashing work on the ghouls Sanai, that skin colour is very nice. A good looking unit :thumbsup:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

Thanks Niko :)

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

Test skeleton done. Put my zombies in simple green today.

I was trying to think of what colour to paint the banners on skelly spears, to make my skellies fit in with the natural/bestial colourscheme for the army...then it came to me! My skeletons will all be done with banners/loincloths made out of flayed human skin. It works on so many levels!

Edit: The skeleton is wip. He still needs washes (I am thinking perhaps gryohonne sepia on the bone, flesh wash on the flayed skin), some touch ups, and detail on the spear haft (Im going to try and figure out how to wood grain...ugggh)

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
Looks like a mold line on the side of his head.I like the clothed in flesh bit,looking forward to seeing what all you do with it.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Theres a flayed skin tutorial in the latest white dwarf for the mandrakes. looking good so far :thumbsup:

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Mine came monday, its nearly all DE. The gist of it is tallarn flesh base, thin 1:1 dark flesh liche purple into recess, rotting flesh highlight, rotting flesh/skull white highlight, pure skull wight edge highlight. It looks quite similar to what you're doing already.

Wolf Fang

Vampire Count
True Blood
Nice idea with the flayed skin. Lokks very good. Any connection to army fluff? (A band of undead cannibals maybe?)
Looking forward to seeing an entire unit of those.

Cheers, Wolfie

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
These skeletons were people who had their skin flayed right of them by dark magic.
Also, I like the idea of skinless skeletons wearing skins!

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Just finished removing the wing from my winged vampire lord, and glued his body to his left leg and the base. Now to figure out which arm to use to replace his wing.
Here are the ideas I have had so far.

That arm would be severed before the bit with the bones sticking through anyway, and could use the bone as a weapon handle.
Not sure about the skinnyness of the biceps.

combination of these zombie arms, the spear ones forearm (for the bandages) the scythe arms upper arm (for the right angle)
Not sure about the size of the hands on these. Would have to use gs to get rid of wounded bits.

Those are the possibilities out of the parts I own. (All I have fantasy wise is the VC battalion and the winged vamp lord.)
The other options I have is- wait a while and see if I can purchase a model with the right kind of right arm secondhand from a shop in the city that sells secondhand models
- buy a VC kit that has a suitable replacement in it (that would be a while off)
-buy a non vc kit or metal model that has the above (expensive just to get a right arm!)
-sculpt a right arm for him from scratch of over a combination of other parts (would take me a few tries to get right and be tricky, but I do have plenty of gs and can probably find some wire)

RE: Sanai's Imperial Guard Paintlog- Test Grenade Launchers added!

uga bug said:
You are painting the eyes on your guardsmen?! You are crazy!!

In regards to the grenade launcher colour I think the metalic barrel one looks better; more realistic.
they look like aliens so what is this