Skeleton unit size

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Ravenheart

Grave Guard
Aug 21, 2013
221
Zombies
139
Trying to decide whether to have 3x30 with MotD on a master Necromancer or 2x45 and not worry about MotD. Your thoughts, please.
 
How are you going to use your skeletons? I would personally use zombies for mass raising, but then again my skeletons are used almost entirely as a blenderbus:) If your necro is a lvl 4, the average number of skeletons raised in each unit is 7.5. IMO you will rely on IoN just to make the skeles able to even tarpit anything at 30 models. Zombies on the other hand can be raised on average by 8 models per unit by all LoV casters. What is your thoughts on how to use them, and how does it synergize with the rest of your army?
 
Getting those IoNs off at the right time is often not what happens and it is almost always the unit with your most important characters that gets shot to pieces and gets to CC at minimal strenght. I never take MotD or use skeletons for mass raising, they just don't raise as well as zeds. I would go with the larger units and get some gear for the MN instead.
 
I agree with Bullhax, IoN can't always be relied upon to fix problems.
Personally, I field one unit of 40 with command and banner of swiftness when I include skellies in my lists. Use zombies for mass raising.
 
I'll be having the mn in a zombie unit behind the skeletons. A vampire will be in one unit, and swap as the situation dictates. The skeletons will be there to hold up units I want to flank with black knights with blenderlord or blood knights. I don't like zombies or ghouls but, wanted a cheap bunker for the necro.

Essentially, the skeletons will be my M@A, position where they can receive a charge, then counter with knights. Works for my Bretonnians, should work for the VCs.
 
With two shadow casters, I'm hoping to get miasma off to reduce the amount of damage they take in the first round.

Whilst I see the merit to taking mass zombies, I'm going for a blood dragon theme to my army. I figure they would 'recruit' former warriors rather than the shambling hordes the necrarchs or von Carsteins would raise. The necro is responsible for his own bodyguard which is why he's in a zombie bunker.
 
I like the fluff Raven and thats why i prefer skeletons over Ghouls myself, but it isn't the CR the first turn that is the most dangerous, it is the CR when your flanker is in place, as the skeletons are really a tarpit unit, not an anvil unit. Both units will loose models equal to the CR. With your tactic in mind, I would go for 2 units of 45.
 
Would having a unit of Skeletons, with a MoTD (Master, possibly) Necromancer in there, so that at the beginning of the game to boost their numbers before they clash with the enemy, when the casters can switch to more offensive spells? And before you say, "Zombies are better tarpits', this is a fluffy army I'm going to build when I get my Army Book.
 
@ count vashra - that was pretty much my way of thinking. Except, the MN would hide in zombies.

I should have clarified. The shadow casters would miasma whichever unit was in combat with the skelies reducing the enemy WS or I (or both) depending on what I'm facing and whether they've passed their fear check or not. This would reduce the damage taken in every round (assuming at least one miasma is successful).

Relying on IoN is not ideal, I know but, it will draw dispel dice at the very least.
 
I use my skeletons a star pits, thanks to their parry save. I usually take 2x35-40 and don't worry about MotD since your skeletons arnt going to be winning any fights it doesn't really matter how big they can get to, you just need to maintain them on the field for the 2-3 turns to hold something there. Should also be mentioned I usually don't get into combat until turn 3-4 so I play the game for turn 6 so that I don't get stuck in long combats. I find VC arnt that great for standing toe to toe with units starting turn 2
 
I love my skellis. They r a fine tarpit. I find in my list 35 is ideal. Bait what u want into them. I park a lov necro in a zed bunkef behind them sometimes a cc and i spear them up if. I brought a mortis. I dont bother wih motd unless in smaller gamea since i will use it only twice b4 ive gone to just maintaining them while whatever else i have is slapping the rest of the opponents army. I strongly, being a vet knight bus player, recommend against flanking into what the skellies r tying down. cr will ruin that. Scream into what they r holding with banshees, tg, and me. ...profit.
 
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've finally decided on 1x40 and 1x39 both with full command. The 39 have a vampire (baby blender - sword of swift slaying, RF, dragonhelm, heavy armour, shield running shadow) in them.

Necro will still hide in zombies behind the two blocks.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu