• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

So then... thoughts on Vlad and Nagash?

I am so happy they brought Vlad back. I just wish they'd restored Konrad, as well. Glad it's been well handled, too.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
At first I was like meh, Vlad's back. That's a bit crap.

But the execution of the background has been handled really well, and Vlad is probably my favourite character right now.

I'm not sure I like the
way Walach Harkon fell to Chaos. I always imagined that the whole point of the Undead/Chaos animosity was that the Undead were largely immune to the temptations of Chaos. If Vampires falling to Chaos is a thing, why have we never heard of Chaos Vampires before? Can you imagine the stats on a Chaos enhanced Vampire? 10's across the board wouldn't do it justice!

From the way it was written, I don't think
Walach fell to Chaos, so much as decided that a demon infested world with things to "test himself against" (read: kill for funsies) was better than a Land of the Dead with sod all to do.

lord marcus

Vampire Count
True Blood
I'm more wondering how
settra is going to come back after all his legions were taken by Nagash.

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
So just got round to finishing chapter 4 on Vlad and I have came round to the idea of him being back. I just love him as a character, I felt it was handled really well and that he has his own purpose for coming back and isnt just like some mindless puppet being led by Nagash and in fact that Vlad saw it as an opportunity for his own goal of locating Isabella's remains to bring her back and be reunited.

Of course I dont believe that's his sole purpose as I still think he see's himself as one day ruling over mankind himself but he has put that ambition (as well as revenge on Mannfred for the part he played in Vlad's death) on the back burner in order to seem loyal to Nagash (for now) and indeed fight off the Chaos Invasion. So I feel Vlad is well and truly going to be a key player in the EoT books to follow that will likely focus more on the Chaos invasion, as well as on Nagash and a few other aspects of the warhammer world

As for chapter 4 itself, Gelt siding with Vlad essentially becoming an enemy of the Empire and the way that came about I quite enjoyed. This Nameless character I can say I know nothing about apart from what i've just read on here so keen to see what part it plays in the future, although can't say im too impressed with what happened to poor Crom like, killed by Valten and Huss and not playing any key part, I quite liked his original story outcome where his warband marched into Sylvania and where never seen again after Mannfred revealed himself to the world

lord marcus said: ↑
question A) Neferata, do we ever find out what was behind the gate of Vallaya?
I believe it is the soul/energy/sleeping form of Valaya (mispelt?) the Dwarven goddess. Nagash consumes her life-force or whatever the equivalent is before moving on to destroy/subvert the TK and get into his Black Pyramid.
I wonder what lasting effects (if any) this will have on the Goddess Valaya... Will Grimnir and Grungni awaken to avenge the loss of Valaya?

Based on my recollection, Nagash used the magical energy in the hidden room, but it wasn't clear to me what specifically he did. Other than the channeling thing mentioned.

Last edited:

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
I just wish they'd restored Konrad, as well. Glad it's been well handled, too.
He was too much of a liability. He is insane for one which is never a good trait for a general but more importantly had next to no magical ability to sustain an army/be one of Nagash's scions.

Alastor

Black Knight
I like Vlad being back, it could've been handled horrifically but I've been surprised by how well it's been written. Vlad isn't the "mindless puppet" kind if guy so I think there will be an interesting power struggle at some point, whether overt or otherwise.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
I absolutely loved Gelt's fall from grace. Valten still seems like a paper-thin excuse for a character though, I was really hoping he'd turn out to be the shapeshifter and we could all have a laugh about how this "hero" from the old Storm of Chaos wound up being a traitor.

But nah, he's just boring and flat.