• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The 4 Character slots of a 2K army

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
At the moment Necrach looks imminent however I am considering going with Von Carstein simply to avoid the loss of 2 points of weapon skill. Do you think this is advisable?

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Given that, by putting the Lord on a Dragon means that you have to get into combat (it is tying up 3/4 of your character slots and more than 1/3 of your points at 2k). I would say therefore either von Carstein or Blood Dragon. Bearing in mind that you have 2 characters only, vC gives the extra magic dice, BD is the better combatant and comes with Plate Armour.

I would look at your likely opponents and go from there.

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The problem I have is that I plan on taking this army to places where my opponent is random. Given this circumstance I believe the Von Carstein is a better choice.

Does anyone here use Wraiths?

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
I would agree that von Carstein is the better choice (but then, I would ;))

I have taken a wraith on a couple of occasions, but you now have so many ItP units/armies that it is not great for a random opponent, imo.

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Well, being one of the vampministrators I have to remain nice and impartial Skaramak ;)

The thing about the wraith is I could imagine it being a real nasty character hunter if equipped right (the obsidian amulet) so that it could become an avatar of death for characters and unit champions alike. Its leadership is also akin to that of a Vampire Thrall but it causes terror.

Does anyone have any experience to share?

Hi there

I personly take a
blood dragon lord with a Great Weapon, red fury, heart piercing, master strike, strength of steal
necro with book of arkhan and a scroll
necro with a power fimilier

this gives me 9 power dice that i can distribute evenly between my characters as well as 7 dispel dice and a bound item, not to mention a vamp who can give anything a good slap in combat.

iv experimented with a wraith and found that if put in a unit of dire wolves ( you only need about 5 of them) and equipped with the talon of death he can take out any war machine crew that u come up against even dwarfs wil be hard pressed.

Jerak

Falahk

Grave Guard
My prefared set of characters for a basic VC army goes like this:

Von carstaine count
gw, ring of the night, staff of damination, aura of dark majesty, lv2

Von carstaine thrall
gw, flayed hauberk, wolf form

Necromancer
lv2, black periapt, scroll

Necromancer
lv2, scroll, book of arkhan

this is probebly one of the best sets of charcters for a balanced tourny army you can use, mostly since it gives you tools to deal with chariots (something that is normaly hard to deal with when you play VC)

i am still however debating with myslef if the count really need the ring, since t5 and healing normaly keeps him alive anyway, and so far its only dancemans slayer musician that have killed my carstine count.....maybe walking death would benefit him more

prefared Necrach line up:

Necrach Count.......when i feel for it; on a winged nightmare
lvl2(3), NNB, ring of the night, book of arkhan

Necrach Thrall
BSB, NNB

Necromancer
lvl2, scroll, black periapt

Wight Lord
Lance, barded steed, heavy armour, shield, cursed book

this one may seam a bit odd to most of you i presume, but i have found that a lord for Necrach is not worth it, since NNB mostly make the lord unessesary and you can spread out your fighting power more with one more hero slot.

with the other bloodlines i would might consider a lord.....but i have not played any of them mutch yet in order to have some form of prefered character line up

My setup is

VC lord with Carstein Ring

Necromancer with Dispel Scroll and gem of blood

VC Thrall, BSB with War Banner (usually makes the unit really hard to kill and is a nasty surprise sometimes)

oh, yeah and great weapons, lots and lots of great weapons :)

The tournament setup I used to play most often is:

BD count, mounted on a barded nightmare, lance, shield, heart piercing, cursed book, book of arkhan

BD thrall, also mounted, battle standard, flayed hauberk, sword of might

Necromancer 2 lvl, staff of damnation

Necromancer 2 lvl, 2*dispel scroll

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Veland said:
The tournament setup I used to play most often is:

BD count, mounted on a barded nightmare, lance, shield, heart piercing, cursed book, book of arkhan

BD thrall, also mounted, battle standard, flayed hauberk, sword of might

Necromancer 2 lvl, staff of damnation

Necromancer 2 lvl, 2*dispel scroll
That's probably the most common setup. Either that or a Thrall swap with a Wight Lord. :)

Anyone take Wraiths nowadays? o_o

Yeah I know this setup is not very original :D but nevertheless, it is a "copy" of my setup from 5th edition, of course adjusted to 6th edition rules when it hit the shelves all those years ago :). It still works with 7th (I'm looking forward to the new VC book!).