The Amethyst Host - a Lahmian army log

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Tarsus

Zombie
Mar 3, 2014
30
Zombies
24
I just recently began reviving :rolleyes: my undead army, and I decided to back to the original theme used way back when it was an actual thing, a Lahmia army.

I'm not a fan of a lot if the newer models so I'm going to be mostly avoiding then sticking with either tomb king stuff or converting my own.

The first two models are both vampires, one mounted and one on foot.

7569A893-3C1C-46CB-8648-F57E20977EDF_zpsfplgsapj.webp

BABFC831-BE80-45D2-A1D7-6EA9E87DD2E9_zpse1kk6mdr.webp
 
Very, very cool! Great conversion work, I wouldn't have thought to round off the skellie shields from the TK sprue.
 
Next unit to be built is my necromancer, converted from 2 obvious models and the staff head is a spare torch from the hex wraith kit. Im very pleased with how this has turned out, the only thing that concerns me is she is very difficult to rank into a unit with the pose of her arms. The spare body i have left over is going to be used in a future black coach conversion.

IMG_0086_zps50fc9bc8.webp

And one more unit, or rather 2 more units, fell bats. I am planning on making many of the monsters in my army to be based on stone gargoyles and statues that have been animated, similar in style to the tomb kings. The fell bats are going to be gothic style gargoyles and i plan on making a pair of varghulfs that look exactly like these but much larger, I still haven't decided how im going to a terrorgiest.

They are all going to be painted in simple stone colours. I will maybe add some moss or something to them afterwards too.

IMG_0087_zps4c598cfd.webp

IMG_0082_zps68f0bfb2.webp
 
Very, very cool stuff so far! I like how the fragile vampire lady sits on the brutish horse, a nice contrast. Your conversions are coming along very fitting and unique, hoping for more :thumbsup: May I suggest some kind of snake-dragon-thing for the TG? Something like Adam_Barrow build with his ZD/TG kit (you have to scroll down a little to see what I mean). I think this would fit the Lahmian style very good..but I'm also excited what you'd come up with ;)
 
Ive pretty much finished painting my vampire on nightmare, just the base and a couple of tiny details left to do.

IMG_0098_zps7ea7a305.webp

IMG_0097_zps50e33975.webp

I have also started my wight king, but he is far from finished. Ive made him so that he can be either a standard king or my BSB without the model looking wierd either way.

IMG_0099_zps57f3151b.webp
 
Got a few more finished (nearly) models to show.

First up is my vampire on foot and necromancer. I am still undecided on the sword so i haven't painted it yet, im considering doing a green magical effect on it but want to practice it a bit first as i don't want to ruin the model. The necromancer still has the staffs top left to do in gold, and I may add some free hand stuff to the front of her skirt.

IMG_0117_zpsd53d03e0.webp

Next up is my first 20 skeletons and the first movement tray. The bright silver areas all need washing to make them gold and im painting the shields seperately and will glue them all on once im happy with what i have planned next.

IMG_0118_zps1bf9de51.webp

And finally is a little test im trying out, magnetised bases. Im using magnetic tape, small squares stuck under each base plus strips on the trays lined up so each model will rank up perfectly. Here is a couple of skeletons stuck to the side of my fridge.

IMG_0136_zps1fb266d3.webp
 
Great conversions. It really brings the theme to life. Loving the vampire on foot in particular.

For her sword I'd go for green. It would be a nice contrast I think. Something that would be really cool would be to give it a mirrored effect, something like which can be seen on the GW Necrons. It is a bit tricky to get it right but it is doable. If you are interested I can give you some advise on it.

The one thing I don't like about the painting on the foot vampire is her head gear. That cloth around her head looks very out of place, being the only thing on her that is painted in that colour. My advise would be to either paint it black like the rest of the cloth, or paint something else on her in the same colour.

Another point of criticism, though this is more of a personal preference, is the bases of your miniatures, or rather the edges of the bases. I never liked them being painted flat green, and I really don't think it suits your army. I would much prefer an earthy brown colour, like Steel Legion Drab.

Looking forward to seeing more.
 
The green base edges are because I play on green terrain. I typically paint my armies to match the terrain I'll be playing on.

I've only ever attempted the crystal/mirror effect blades once on a space marine power weapon and I wasn't happy with my attempt. If you have any good guides or tips i would love to try it again.

The headdress issue, I agree it does look a bit odd but I quite like the contrasting colours, I might darken it a few shades though. I'm also going to remove the skulls and replace then with a snake or something to help mask the horrible gap between the face and the headdress.
 
I use a tutorial from a white dwarf as base for my own mirrored swords. I'll scan the page and email it to you as soon as I can. It is a really good base, but you need to practice a bit to get it right, especially with curved blades such as yours. I'll write down what extra advise I can give in the pm.

Regarding the head gear. Looking at the model again I'm starting to think that it would look really cool with the now bone like corset piece painted in the same turquoise. Though that corset looks really good as it is so I'm not sure.
 
I had a go at that tutorial, but the shape of the blade caused a few headaches so i had to leave out the alternating shades along the length.

IMG_0144_zpsb77cd5bf.webp

I just have the spike and the skull pommel to do in gold and i think i might add the faint white lines from the tutorial too. I have also darkened the blue head wrap slightly.

I am extremely pleased with the final model and I am planning on adding an identical blade to my mounted vampire.
 
Very good conversions! They must have take some work to get them done ;)

I didn't even notice the bases being green before i've read Mad 'At's comment. I didn't see them green since some time ;) but I think they are all right.

Also, good work on the blade. I'd go for a slightly more yellowish hue, but that's good too. Good luck with futher work!
 
Really interesting models! I love your use of Tomb Kings models... I often prefer them, myself (love the skeletons, especially), and your characters are super unique. I think your side saddle necromancer is especially awesome, given the size discrepancy between her and her horse. It just makes her look super vicious.

Also loving the ghoul/gargoyle take on fell bats. I love those!
 
Thank you everyone for all the comments. I should be able to get loads more stuff done over the next few weeks, I've had to take a bit of a break because of a family crisis.

I have another mounted vampire partly finished as well as a second vampire on foot and a female SGK counts as model using the dark elder lelith.

I've also bought a couple of tubes of visible light fluorescing paint that I'm planning on using on my ethereals and magic weapons.
 
As promised i have a quick update.

From left to right, my vampire on foot has a new sword, it looks very flat and washed out in the photo but its not, its actually orange florescent paint and it looks very cool when seen in real life. Next is a test model for my black knights, the steeds are all going to be partially ethereal, mainly around the front and rear with the middle and the riders being painted normally, although in this case the rider has been base coated only. And finally are my spirit hosts, they are going to be based up 3 to a base once they have had a couple more coats of yellow. The yellow on all the ethereals is also florescent but its very thin paint and its taking a lot of layers to build up to the glow i want to get.

12B7A870-8ABC-484F-AB12-D4C090AADB12_zpsudi8ep1i.webp
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu