• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The games thread - No Man's Sky

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
I always liked Kingdom Hearts, didn't get 2.5 though.

Seemed silly to me to still be releasing PS3 games.

I went and bought Total War Attila after promising myself I wouldn't due to the mess Rome 2 was.
Luckily Attila is actually good xD

Currently on the run from the Huns.
Like a baus.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
There is a new D&D cRPG in the works: Sword Coast Legends.

It's being helmed by Dan Tudge, who was chief on Dragon Age: Origins, so it has promise.
Finally a game I dare to look forward to. This year as been a year of disappointment(already...), so it is nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Well I have started my journey into the dreary gothic fantasy world of Bloodbourne, and so far so good. I am using the cane which transforms into a whip. Great atmosphere and enemy design. Two bosses down so far.

Anyone else playing this yet?

robtion

Vampire Thrall
So BloodBorne is awesome. Highly recommend it to those who have the time and patience to invest in it. I love the dark Gothic setting. Enemy designs are some of the best I have ever seen. The werewolves are almost an exact copy of Forge World Skin Wolves.

Gameplay is the same as previous souls games but a little faster requiring lots of dodging, counter attacking, and parrying. Enemies are unpredictable and have a range of attacks and there are many secrets to be found.

Technically, only one of those is in the works. Pillars of Eternity was released the other day, available on Steam, or GoG.com if you want DRM-free.

That said, there is another Infinity Engine throwback in the works: Torment: Tides of Numenera - a "spiritual successor" to Planescape: Torment set in Monte Cook's Numenera and written (at least in part) by him, so you can be sure it contains all the pretentious pseudo-philosophical contemplation one has come to know and love him for.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Well I have started my journey into the dreary gothic fantasy world of Bloodbourne, and so far so good. I am using the cane which transforms into a whip. Great atmosphere and enemy design. Two bosses down so far.

Anyone else playing this yet?
I am and I love it, I use the axe which is heaps of fun. I love the gothic vibe it has, so awesome

robtion

Vampire Thrall
@Count michael Yes the atmosphere and art design are unmatched, and the maze like levels full of shortcuts and secrets are great. How far in are you?

I have killed 5 bosses and am in the forbidden woods. Loved the witches level, really had a dark and demented fairytale vibe.

I have heard the axe is very strong but I just can't go past my cane that transforms into a whip. It is just so stylish :cool:.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Not very far just started playing as I got it yesterday though haven't played heaps because of work work. Killed the cleric daemon thing now trying to kill Father werewolf (forgot his name) I like the werewolves they are pretty cool though I usually die heaps. Yeah axe is quite strong (same weapon old father werewolf uses) I love it, nice and brutal especially good at cleaving through large groups of enemies when in two handed/ battle axe mode. Oh I wondered what the cane was it certainly looked interesting

Last edited:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
@Count michael Ugg, work, im back there tomorrow. Have killed another 2 bosses so 7 in total now :happy:

Yeah, the cane is very fast with lighter damage in cane form and has very long range and medium damage in whip form. Father Gascon(?) was tough, especially once he transformed.

The game gets better and better the further you go. My character is a powerhouse now compared to the start.

A tip, learn to parry and follow with a visceral attack ;) Great for killing werewolves, ogres, and the big pale faced guys you will encounter soon. Also works on many bosses and enemy hunters. Have fun :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Great timing with Bloodborne, I just started Dark Souls 1 :lol: ...my pc wasn't good enough, and, somehow, I never really knew dark souls. But now I'm on it for days, really cool and challenging! Hardest fight so far was Sif and Stray Demon (MOTHERF***:swear:). Till the day I get a appropriate tv for a ps4 (planned in 3-4 months), I will stay at the desktop and go with ds, ac4, and some others "older" games. Anyone has an idea for good, fast online games to play with friends? Please just no LoL :thumbsdown:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
@Theerteen Cool. If you like Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 is getting a re-release with all the DLC and some updated graphics on ps4, xb1, and pc in a week or so.

Definitely make Bloodborne a priority if you pick up a ps4, it's great. If you have access to a ps3 then the original souls game Demons Souls is worth a look too. ;)

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Sounds like I'll be picking up bloodborne soon :)

How smooth's the gameplay? I know the Souls games always ran a bit slow on consoles on the last gen.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
@Get of W'soran The same problems are still there. The frame rate is 30 fps but dips pretty frequently, especially certain areas with lots of particle effects like the fires/smoke in Old Yharnam. Doesn't effect combat but it is noticeable when walking around/ panning the camera at times. The load times between levels when you warp or die are longish too, 20-40 seconds.

Overall though the game is amazing. The atmosphere is fantastic, nice textures, and great art design.The performance issues are a there but they pale in comparison to what the game gets right. I predict you will be too busy enjoying youself to give them much thought ;)

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
I think I'll be grabbing this on lunch then ;)

I like to have two games at the same time that I can switch between.

So Bloodborne and Pillars it is :D

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Hey is dark souls two any good as I was thinking of grabbing it since they released a version of it for PS4, since I love Bloodborne I was thinking of looking to add to my PS4 game collection

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Goddammit tomb of giants shit shit dumb darkness shirty shit! Anyone have an idea what I'm into atm? :swear:

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
I'm all over Bloodborne! Its the main reason to own a PS4 :tongue: I'm a huge fan of the souls series and Hidetaka Miyazaki. All of them are good, even Dark Souls 2. For those not in the know, Miyazaki only produced Dark Souls 2 and didn't direct it because he had his A-team working on Bloodborne and his B-team building Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 is a great game in itself, but you can feel Miyazaki's presence missing. His masterful use of obscure puzzle-pieces lore, philosophical undertones, interconnected secret passages and shortcuts and just the special minor touches that add up to something greater are either missing or washed out in DS2. But DS2 builds on the story, has great mechanics and environments, cool encounters, great npcs, awesome pvp and fast, intense combat. But everything fans love Miyazaki put in Bloodborne. It has everything I listed.

Hands down, the Souls games are the unique and addicting. They are amazing works of art and are some of the most challenging and rewarding games you will ever play. No other game takes the kids gloves off like these do. They create a sense of immersion, loneliness, curiosity, terror, awe and wonderment that feels incredible. The player interactivity, the themes of souls and death, the dark fantasy and visceral combat. Nothing else captures all these things in one place and makes you feel like your in peril and exploring the way these games do.

Everyone has their favorite. I would suggest starting with either Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1. Those two are pinnacles of what Miyazaki does and are very complete unto themselves. Though Demon Souls has some awesome stuff in it, its showing its age a bit and some of the difficulty is in obscurity of direction and instructions on how things work. Dark Souls is a more polished, has a better story IMHO and a more interested, interconnected world. There is no loading screen for most of the game, with a few exceptions you can travel from one end of the world to the other. Dark Souls also sparked hours of mythological and philosophical debate. Common belief is your character is dead and in the underworld, and the last of the gods are manipulating you. But, that is all up to interpretation still.

Bloodborne is looking to be headed that route too. It mixes some of the best elements of Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Overall, the Dark Soul themes appeal to me more. But Bloooborne blew my mind when you find out what is really going on....They manage to keep the real story hidden, which is amazing in these days. Because the game is so difficult, you even have to go digging in the Wikis devoted to Bloodborne to uncover what I'm talking about, but the game is not subtle about it for those who stick through. Here is a hint: no one can have enough Insight. Am I right?