• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah. I'm sorry I can't help too much with macs as I don't have one nor to I have access to one. However try Willmark's suggestion and let me know if they are any further issues.

Also a big thanks to all for the feedback so far. A lot of us put the effort in and its great to see loads of you enjoyed it. We will be taking the advice and comments and using them, so keep them coming.

Devo

Crypt Horror
Apr 14, 2008
A fantastic e-zine! Very well done, one and all.

When's the next one due out? :)

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
The plan is to keep the e-zine as a quarterly thing. The next issue should be out in three months if all goes according to plan. Which it should, heheh. :)

Hosko

Skeleton
Apr 5, 2009
Congratulations to all the contributors to 'The Invocation - Issue #1'. A fantastic effort.

From the few E-zines I have seen over the years, this tops the list for it professional appearance, informative and useful topics and topical subject matter.

Three cheers for the crew.

Hosko

I already replied in the thread Disciple of Nagash created on the UnderEmpire, but I thought that you guys venture here more often, so I might just as well make my reply here as well:

As a minor point of criticism, one thing I missed was page numbering. It's a bit odd that when you mention these in your index, they're nowhere to be seen in the webmagazine itself, making looking up certain articles a bit of a hard thing to do.

Next to that, what is with the adds in the magazine? Are you guys sponsored, or is this some sort of gesture towards other communities that aided with some sort of service? It puzzled me a bit.

Regarding the battle report, I'm on the same line as Count Flapula. No pictures, no diagrams, no nothing make following a turn by turn description of what happened... vague, to use a friendly term for it. When it comes to posting battle reports in the webmagazine, my honest opinion would be to either do it right, or don't do it at all. (Which is meant as a bit of advice from the experience of doing the SBG, not as an attack on Swissdictator and Skittles).

Painting/ converting articles looked quite well. Good step-by-step pictures and easy to read through... Tacticas is something I can't really reply on, as I don't play VC and as such, can't really comment on whether something makes sense or not then.

Finally, is it just me, or do we suddenly have more and more webmagazines trying to catch up on the coolness of SBGs columnist Seer Squeek?... I can assure you that he most certainly has his verdict ready, should he lay his eyes on that bit of the Invocation. :P ;) (j/k)

Hope this helps.

Greetz

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
It certainly does help. Issue #1, whilst we of course did our best efforts was a way for us to try some things out, and of course work out where we can improve.

We are discussing the feedback in our secret lair and Issue #2 should hopefully improve in Issue #1.

In regards to advertisements, I offered the service to all the forums this was posted on (I PM'd various admins / mods), those that replied were put in the E-zine. We are all trying to achieve the same thing and I see no problem in promoting one another. If a vampire player decides he wants to play Skaven I will quite happily point them in the UnderEmpire's direction, in the same way I would hope people would point potential VC players here. I find those who insist on being silly and getting paranoid and worried about even mentioning other forums a bit petty.

Oh and one note for eveyone. Release date for Issue #2 is Friday 18th September 2009.

Belladamma Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Manchester, UK
My thoughts on the magazine are somewhat mixed. It gave me pangs to start the Watchman again, but I remembered how much effort it require din the klong run and the short supply of actual contributors for the magazine and the hammering I took when I tried my hand at Warhammer Legendary Battles and we ended up working against a deadline as opposed to taking our time.

I digress.

I liked the magazine as a whole, it had a nice feel to it that can only be acheived with a race specific magazine in WFB and it didn't come across as overly preachy or summative - something I found difficult to balance at times.

My one gripe is the introduction to the basics of VC tactics by Ergo Sum. I seem to recall a lot of repetition in the article in short spaces of time. This could be a faulty memory on my part or Ergo trying to write to a word limit. Either way, I liked the article overall but couldn't help but notice this.

lord marcus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Mar 2, 2008
Florida
as i posted on our "secret lair" my gripe as a contributer was that our combined effort did not have a header.

Ergo-Sum

Vampire Thrall
True Blood
Mar 5, 2009
London
Fair point Voltaire. I suppose it's just my way to go a bit! :) I wasn't working to a word limit or anything like that, just wrote as it seemed appropriate. Depending on what others think, I'm happy to try and keep it shorter in the future.

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 16, 2008
Wisconsin
No worries Vinshsqueek! The advice is certainly appreciated.

The battle was done in the middle of my moving, and was done on short notice... so we didn't get the opportunity to get pictures this time. In the future, it won't be a problem on my end. So the problem rests with my circumstances, not the webzine itself. ;)

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I personally liked Ergo's tactica, and from the feedback elsewhere it seems that most others did to. I prefer the longer indepth style rather than something short that misses out on info.

Willmark

Zombie
Feb 22, 2009
The Dark Side of the Force
Disciple of Nagash said:
In regards to advertisements, I offered the service to all the forums this was posted on (I PM'd various admins / mods), those that replied were put in the E-zine. We are all trying to achieve the same thing and I see no problem in promoting one another. If a vampire player decides he wants to play Skaven I will quite happily point them in the UnderEmpire's direction, in the same way I would hope people would point potential VC players here. I find those who insist on being silly and getting paranoid and worried about even mentioning other forums a bit petty.

Indeed an upcoming article in a certain other webzine out there will touch on this. DoN and I see eye-to-eye on this, I'm not a vampire player but if someone wants to post something related to them on one of the two sites I'm an Admin on what harm is there in that, there isn't any. Not that I'm thinking of any users on a certain site or anything.

If someone plays Chaos Dwarfs and people post here I'm pretty confident that DoN the guys will direct them to chaos dwarfs online, and likewise the same is true.

Those sites that want to shut themselves out or certain members... Have at it. Don't be suprised if your army or forum doesn't get a mention. Thankfully almost every site I have come across has been great.

Am I annoyed? Somewhat but like I said this isn't or shouldn't really be an issue.

Kovinth

Zombie
Feb 15, 2009
Very happy to finally see this. I am especially pleased that there was a skeleton painting walkthrough as I'm just starting out and hadn't yet decided on how I wanted to paint them.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
Skaven Lord Vinshqueek said:
As a minor point of criticism, one thing I missed was page numbering. It's a bit odd that when you mention these in your index, they're nowhere to be seen in the webmagazine itself, making looking up certain articles a bit of a hard thing to do.

I actually did that on purpose as I used the numbering that the PDF-file automatically makes, therefore the cover was page 1. I found it a bit redundant to put them on the pages itself but if more people dislike it it's not a big deal to add them.

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 16, 2008
Wisconsin
I'll always mention the websites if I see someone building an army, and I'll even do so at tournaments. I've put in a good word for this site, and CDO several times.... same for Druchii.net. All three of which I'm active on.

Nov 20, 2008
Stockholm
It was a bloody great issue!

(noticed the joke?:vampire2:)

Painting skeleton guide was great with the pictures and all. The battle report was missing some pictures / diagrams but well written and the comments from both sides were fun. It was a very good job overall and I'm waiting for the next issue and right now planning on something to paint for the next golden bat competition...

Extra edit for Ergo-Sum: oh and the tactics articles were absolute top quality, extremely well written and explained in debth covering everything I wanted to know and more.

I'd like an article on how to play with a whole army rather than the use of individual units the next issue if possible as there are so many threads and discussions on how to use each and every unit against every other unit, the combat resolutions and bla bla bla on these forums and others.

Maybe something on how to to pull off combo charges like challengepit the bloodthirster with wolves, raise upp some zombies and vanhel them into the thirster the next turn while the blood knights are running around the flank destroying the flesh hounds and crushing those daemons! I'm just brainstorming, but I like it when you discussed all options in-debth. Maybe u could do some tricky situations and show some moves to help solve those situations? I might be a bit vague in my describtion but like how to analyze the next move when playing chess (except here all the pices move at once).

Well got a little excited from reading the tacs really so thinking of plans for taking over the world with all those new techniques I just learned hehe.

In reply to the replies on my response on the adds in the issue... (Are you still following? :rolleyes: ), I've got to say that you might have misunderstood my meaning a bit.

It was not that I found it to be wrong, but the locations at some points (small banners right beneath/ through an article) and complete differences in sizes is what struck me as odd. None had a similar format. To me, as an outsider to the inner sanctum of the Invocation editors office, it wasn't really clear what the idea behind placing those adds was... Promoting one another isn't a bad thing, at all. (Hell, you don't even want to know the list of sites I've got to reference to ;) ). I would simply try to make it look a bit more organized then.

Greetz

Baslakor

Wight King
May 7, 2008
Tomb of Berkel
It is an amazing issue and far far more then I expected.

Now I must admit that I have not read everything yet (because it is just sooo big) so I cannot give much feedback, but I would like to see more armies and member conversions in it, just like you did with Disciple of Nagash's army.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I don't have a mac, but can't you just right click on the link and choose "save link as" or something similar?

Nelganis

Ghoul
Jul 13, 2009
Chicago
wow...what to say of the first issue...

I LOVED IT!!!

it was very good, better than what i expected and it had alot of useful things in it. also, the guides in it will probably help new vampire players overcome so weaknesses that they may experience when fighting other races.

overall, keep it up guys and great work on the first issue

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
That you for the great feedback, we did work hard the first issue and we are working even hard in the second so I hope you enjoy that too.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
I've just finished reading the issue, it was far longer than I had expected.

And I have to say it was pretty awesome, much better than I had hoped.

I love the Fluffy parts, the mention of the TVC was good and the tips for the less experienced (like myself) when it comes to painting and modeling.

Can't wait for the next issue :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu