The Spirit Host - a painting log.

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
There's actually no painting involved in the creation of those bases. I've gotten hold of something called Ash Grey from "TheArmyPainter" and I simply glued it on to the base and then added some GW flock on top of it! :vampire2:
 
Time for a quick little update here.

Between re-basing all of the already cottoned models, painting more skeleton-ghouls as well as being lazy in general, I've again tried to find a way to paint my cavalry. I tried the greyish scheme of the grave guard first and didn't really find it to my liking - it looked a bit dull. Next up I've tried making a blue one and here he is..

73481285.jpg

39704014.jpg

72845292.jpg


Its the large flat areas of the horse's barding that's making me a bit doubtful about it, though this time I figured that I'd put it up here to get some feedback on it.

So yeah, feedback would be nice. :)
 
I don't know about that one MS, it looks.....incomplete. Not wrong, but just like it's unfinished. Are you using the same washing method as before, it looks a lot duller than your other models?

EDIT: I think it's because the top if the model is quite dark, needs lightening up a bit.
 
I'm in the process of trying to lighten up the top half of the rider as we speak and yes DoN, I used the exact same washing as I've done with the other models. The paints seem to alter their attributes from day to day, heheh.

You might be on to something there Sheep, perhaps I should only outline the edges of the horse and its barding instead of actually trying to cover the flat areas.
 
All right, here's an unrelated (to cavalry, that is) update where I show of the units I've gotten painted and based in coherence. I know that it's not very much at all to show the world but imagine yourself in my position - I've been into Warhammer for the greater part of my life and this is the very first time that I've ever had an entire unit painted, let alone based. Needless to say I am rather thrilled! :D

From left to right - Spirit Hosts, Skeletons, Grave Guard + General (stand-in, heheh), Spirit Hosts.
83826313.jpg

22355155.jpg
62598465.jpg

43517906.jpg
23862412.jpg

51741550.jpg
55485654.jpg


And lastly, here's a picture where I tried to get a good focus on the stand-in for my general Helena. Cameras do not like that picture of her for some reason, it really is more clear in person..
43418898.jpg


Anyway, the grave guard have not gotten their banner done yet. I've been having a bit of trouble with how I want it to look, not to mention what, if any, symbol or emblem to put on it. Then it hit me while I was riding the bus earlier today - you can actually see an emblem on Helena's house in the Hellsing anime!

This is unfortunately the best picture I have of it for now, I will try to get a better one shortly..
emblemf.jpg

To me it looks like an angel sitting side-saddle with one or two arms stretched out in front of her (to the left from our PoV) with the wings going out the other side. Its definately what I want for the grave guard, black knight and blood knight banners to have, now I just need to figure out a way to actually get it done, heheh.

And finally, concerning the bases.. I'm not really sure if they "need" any cotton fog on them or not anymore. It would help perpetuate the feeling of ghostiness but I quite like how they look right now, to be honest. I'll give it some more time and meditation before I make any decision about it though.

Ahhh, my fingers really needed the excercise you get from typing out huge amounts of links the hard way. :D
 
Seeing the army wide shot I have got to admit the scheme has worked. Whilst you have different colours, the method unifies it all, and it really does look like a vengeful ghostly army of the dead. I still do think it would look even more eerie if there was mist though xd

Nice stand in for Helena too - very original. Have you found a decent model to represent her?

As for the emblem, well it's too blurry to really make out, so I'll take you're word what it is meant to be xd. I hope you are going to paint it suitable colours though.
 
Thanks for the praise fellows. I actually have quite a few more models painted up, they just have yet to be based - roughly 30 more skeletons, 20 ghouls and the cairn wraiths. Basing really do add a lot to a model's appearance, heheh.

I've pretty much decided on staying with only the green and grey colours for the troops. I find that those two work pretty well together. The grey troops will be the ones representing the Bretonnian portion of the army,
  • grave guard (foot knights who're not men-at-arms)
  • black knights (knights of the realm and errants)
  • fell bats (pegasus knights)
  • spirit hosts (men-at-arms)
  • dire wolves (mounted yeomen)
  • blood knights (more powerful knights? I was thinking of grail knights at first but then it hit me that their souls might not be very accessible due to being blessed by the Lady and so on..)

They'll be Helena's personal troops, while the green ones (the rest, basically) will be the ghostly rabble that flock to her call, wild and unruly spirits eager to vent their anger on whoever they're directed against.

And yes DoN, I have found a good model to be a basis for my future model of Helena. It will unfortunately require me to sculpt her a new head (which might take some time..) as the original one is pretty bestial. That's also the reason why I decided to create a stand-in for her - it was either that or an empty base. The stand-in has also become somewhat of an icon in our games as well, heheh.
 
there are more ghosts here than a Supernatural season box set!
nicely done by the way
good idea to have mounted yeomen as dire wolves, that idea may get pinched if you dont mind, as im not fond of the current models

do you mind if i ask what your plans are for a varghulf if your taking one?
 
All right, here's some more pictures, this time featuring 2x10 ghouls and 4 cairn wraiths + tomb banshee.

89731858.jpg

39509744.jpg

35214961.jpg

67456686.jpg

40401833.jpg

45799376.jpg

94468585.jpg


I know that I introduced the flaggellants as zombies but I've recently decided to promote them to ghouls instead. They do look a bit too buff to be zombies, I need something more pathetic-looking.. perhaps ghost-halflings? It'd go well with the halfling-craze which seems to be sweeping CN these days. :lol:

Also, washes do react differently when applied over metal models, especially on cloaks and the like. It was quite hard to get an even finish on those wraith models and even now its not perfect... quite good enough though, heheh.

Ironlord, I currently have 3 ideas for a potential varghulf or two, the next one more unorthodox than the last. The first and likely easiest would be to use the Bretonnian Hippogryph and replace whatever heraldry there is with the emblem I posted above... ...actually I think I'll hold it here. The other two ideas I have are not very varghulf-like at all, they hold only personal value and would need some explaining beforehand.

DoN, here's the model I'm planning to use as a base. I've included a picture of Helena herself (if you couldn't tell, heheh) to show the likeness.

She'd need a new face and a pair of shoes. The model is supposed to be a child vampire made in 28mm scale.
 
hehe go for the unconventional method!

may i suggest something
it may take a bit of modeling but tell me what you think
take the small child from the anime, and give her a second form, like shes transforming into some kind of monster that can obliterate things
like if you caught the brumak from the end of gears of war 2 when its in the middle of its transformation into the next level
 
I was going to show you the latest batch of skellies that I've gotten ready today but it seems that my father have nabbed the family camera and run away with it.

Ironlord, while your idea is indeed interesting, it won't really float with the theme and feel I have in mind. The entire army is fundamentally a tribute to the Helena character from the Hellsing TV-anime so I wish to stay quite close to it, and she doesn't appear to be a very monstrous and obliterating individual, heheh.

DoN, I'm actually not sure when I'll begin to get started with her model. I don't have very much experience with sculpting at all and now I'll be taking a leap straight unto a human face. :rolleyes: Ah well, if it'll really turn out to be too much to handle I guess I'll have it commissioned in one way or another.

Lastly, Vekarin, I did post a tidbit about these newly promoted ghouls and my thoughts about zombies. I'll repost it here, just for you. ;)

MasterSpark said:
I know that I introduced the flaggellants as zombies but I've recently decided to promote them to ghouls instead. They do look a bit too buff to be zombies, I need something more pathetic-looking.. perhaps ghost-halflings? It'd go well with the halfling-craze which seems to be sweeping CN these days. :lol:

I'll also try to get a decent army-wide shot tomorrow. The number of completed models have grown substantially over the last few days. :)
 
Here's a little update featuring some more painted skeletons, a movement tray, a small unit-filler and also my first painted character! (no, its not the grey knight with the skeletons. ;))



33418755.jpg

47633829.jpg


Here's the unit-filler in focus..
73247793.jpg


These next three photos are of the character..
14116594.jpg

94023295.jpg

22611028.jpg


Yes, I know that the sword is looking bland and uninspired but I'm just not very enthusiastic about doing anything fancy with a brush right now, heheh. I think he's looking decent enough right now and will likely keep him as such.
 
Thanks for the compliment Sheep. I've used him mostly as a lycni-vampire actually, but if I'll ever use an ethereal one, this'll be the guy. :D

Vekarin the Dark Bladed said:
They're all so...scary! Ahhh! xD

You know, Vekarin, the mark of SlaaneshPerversion grants you immunity to not only panic but also to fear and terror as well. It sounds like you could benefit from that. ;)
 
You have really put Seth's ethereal techniques to their best here MS. That character looks great as does the rest of it. I think the sword is fine, if it was too over the top it would clash with the ghostliness of the model.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu