The Spirit Host - a painting log.

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
RE: Painting spirits?

Thank you for your comments guys.

I'm currently in the process of fixing up another three fellows (can't decide whether to have these blue or green..) with completed bases. I'm a bit nervous about the whole cottoning-thing... I don't want it to look like they're walking around on clouds!

Something I've noticed with red colours when I have used them to wash over white is that they usually make it look pink instead of red, which also seems to be the case with the 'candy man'. I still like the look of him though, heheh. Perhaps a black wash on top of the red one could darken it a bit?

Anyway, pictures of the bases should be up sometime this evening.
 
RE: Painting spirits?

The "candy man", sounds a bit creepy. Pretty much like the boogeyman, but in the warhammer world? :P

No, seriously though, on a second glance he looks good, and I think a whole unit of red guys would actually be okay. :) I would be tempted to give him that black wash just to darken it.

I hope the bases come out okay because I'm really rooting for this army now :)

Can't wait for those piccies!
 
RE: Painting spirits?

The pictures will have to wait for tomorrow I'm afraid. I've sort of hit a little stumble with the bases. How should they look beneath the cotton fog?

Also got some friends coming over for the night, time to game! :grin:

So yeah, tomorrow should yield some results...
 
RE: Painting spirits?

All right, sorry for the delay. I've been plagued by a staggering amount of schoolwork lately. Relatively speaking that is, I get a headache after reading an educational book for more than 30 minutes straight, heheh.

Here are a few pictures of some basing. It was simply made, glued cotton to the modified bases. I'm pleased with it myself and it looks nice when several of the models are lined up together. It does have a sort of cloudy effect to it, but eh.. *Thank you Josef for cleaning these pictures up!*


Group Shot


Single


Another single, this one from the side.

That's all I could take before the camera went dead from lack of battery power. I hope it's still to your liking, heheh.

If all checks out, I'll be starting up the plog the next thing I do.
 
RE: Painting spirits?

I was a bit worried at first that it'd look like they were all walking around on clouds. Was simple to fix though, just had to ruffle it around the model a bit.
 
RE: Painting spirits?

Superb Masterspark. The mist effect is fine and very well done. Since this seems to be turning into your Plog, do you have nay objections to me moving this thread to the painting log forum?
 
RE: Painting spirits?

I can't see how that'd be any problem, Disciple. This thread does look like a sort of log already, heheh.
 
RE: Painting spirits?

very nice here are the cleaned up pics...only changed because you said sry for bad lightinng =P trying to help.

ai195.photobucket.com_albums_z162_fishnchips821_warhammer_314006815bb2e8465ce288320fa0e82d5c7.webp


ai195.photobucket.com_albums_z162_fishnchips821_warhammer_3140076ad6744c387d50958c65c328451a5.webp


ai195.photobucket.com_albums_z162_fishnchips821_warhammer_31400774d09b32b4fe71b8a7ef9780b1fb7.webp
 
RE: Painting spirits?

Looking great Mastersparks! Your mist effect worked very well! I'm now exited about seeing a whole unit of those bad boys! :D

I know the feeling with the homework, good to have this as an distraction from your education, eh? ;)
 
RE: Painting spirits?

Thanks for clearing up my pictures Josef. Natural light is always preferable. And I'm glad that my ideas can serve as inspiration for someone else as well, heheh.

I should be able to start mass producing the greenies starting this weekend. I'm still undecided on how I want to use them in game. Either as skeletons or ghouls... which reminds me, I have sort of made the decision to use the grave guard models for the vast majority of the infantry in the army. The models are just that good!

The ones that will be actual grave guards will instead have a more solid paint job and alot more details picked out on them, as I've explained earlier. Should work out. Hopefully.
 
RE: Painting spirits?

Wow, praise from the master and inspiration himself!

Thanks though Seth, I'm glad that you too like what I've managed to achieve so far.

Still no real update to speak of I'm afraid, being distracted by things all over right now. Sooner or later I'll get a batch of ghosts done up. I'll share it with you all as soon as it happens. ;)
 
RE: Painting spirits?

I was very afraid to look at your cotton ball smoke. After looking at it for a while I am very happy with your result. I believe I might try that now myself. Using GG for both units might be a bit of a problem. Just make sure you've kept the different paint jobs to the said units.
 
Title changed, I simply forgot to do so when it was moved over to the log's forum.

So far I've got about 10 more models undercoated and ready to be etherealized. I expect to have them up during this weekend. Hopefully -.-
 
All right, now I feel obligated to give you guys an update on the progress of my army, heheh.

Painting is suddenly facing the problems of overcoming story writing, role playing, video gaming, school work and general laziness. Somehow I've managed to get another four made up though, heh.

So now that I have seven spirits up and running (with a few more undercoated still, ready to roll) I wanted to share some pics of how they look together as a unit.


Front view


Side view


Side view 2


Top side view, sorry for the rather lousy picture


Actual additions


Actual additions 2


The Candyman have gotten a black ink wash treatment. He looks a bit darker now.
 
The only thing I would suggest it spreading a thin layer of the cotton wool round the base of the edges, seeing the black at the bottom seems to stand out. Great paint job though.
 
You're right about the bases DoN, some of them are a bit rough around the edges. Fortunately it really is pretty simple to modify them at a later time by simply removing and adding cotton as needed! :)
 
Looking great as ever mastersparks. :) I can't wait to see the WHOLE regiment completed.

And I understand your time problems, loads of fun things that needs your attention. (except schoolwork, who demands it! :O)

The candyman looked much better with that dark wash. Keep up the great work!
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu