• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Vengeance Crusader

Grave Guard
Jan 6, 2010
Just played my first game with the 'New' VC book (was 2k vs Chaos)

And here is my general:

Draknov Von Harkon, the 'Witch Flayer'-444pts
Hellsteed, hv. armour, shield, Quickblood, Dread Knight, Red Fury, Nightshroud, Ogre Blade...

Throughout the game this chap killed the following:

A unit of 20 frenzied Marauders w/. great weapons,
Wulfrik the Wanderer AND his unit of 30 frenzied Marauders w/. great weapons
And finally, his sorcerer AND his unit of 20 frenzied Warriors of chaos...

So yea...

FOR ABHORASH!!! :vampire3:

Seelenberührer

Skeleton
Dec 11, 2011
Pffft, the new VCs book is CLEARLY broken!!! [/sarcasm]

I love those moments. The ones where the math-hammer says no, but the dice say "yes, yes, a million times yes!" I wish they would happen to me more often (although a much higher percentage of my fledgling horde is painted than ever before, so I'm expecting a sharp increase in my average dice rolls).

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Nicely done.

What are your honest thoughts on this though? Do you think the build is possibly overpowered, was it pure luck etc?

Ice Junkie

Zombie
Jan 8, 2012
I have a very similar build on my lord. He is a challenge machine!! Took out the high elf white lion character and just buzzed through the pitiful line units. The only way to stop this guy is with a death star or magic/lucky cannonball to the face

Krell Mordain

Zombie
Jan 2, 2010
I have to say LUCK all the way. Choas warriors are still WS5 so Hitting 4+ wounding on 3+...with only a 4+ Armor save (can't have H armor and Magic Armor together) i doubt you can count on that everytime or even 1 out of 5 games.

Vengeance Crusader

Grave Guard
Jan 6, 2010
Dude, you CAN have Nighshroud and heavy armour- its like how you can wear a magic helm with heavy armour....etc...

Firstly, I'd like to say that my opponent was by random chance- I just turned up and GW and had a game.

Anyway, It was mainly due to that I was facing a a list that had characters that could not refuse challenges- and so with me getting rear/flank charges with him- I was massively overkilling his characters, making his units run- to be cut down by my swiftstriding steed...

Overpowered/unstoppable- Definitely not- he would have been cannon/bolt fodder vs. many other armies...

Elbisrever

Ghoul
Dec 12, 2011
Vengeance Crusader said:
Dude, you CAN have Nighshroud and heavy armour- its like how you can wear a magic helm with heavy armour....etc...

Firstly, I'd like to say that my opponent was by random chance- I just turned up and GW and had a game.

Anyway, It was mainly due to that I was facing a a list that had characters that could not refuse challenges- and so with me getting rear/flank charges with him- I was massively overkilling his characters, making his units run- to be cut down by my swiftstriding steed...

Overpowered/unstoppable- Definitely not- he would have been cannon/bolt fodder vs. many other armies...

Yup, we can take Nightshroud and have Heavy Armour. If it was stated to be "Heavy Armour" then it would replace the normal Heavy Armour. Also it specificly says: "... adds +1 to the bearer's armour save."
For those of you who have the copy of the new army book ( and shame you being on this forum and you don't have it!!;) Unless it was delayed somehow ), you can see a picture left bottom of a Vampire wearing Nightshroud. As the name inplies, it really is a shroud falling over the armour :D

Dklyn

Crypt Horror
Dec 21, 2009
Vengeance Crusader said:

Makes nightshroud that much more fun!

But weren't they stubborn/steadfast? how did you handle that?

Ohris

Ghoul
Aug 24, 2010
Disciple of Nagash said:
Nicely done.

What are your honest thoughts on this though? Do you think the build is possibly overpowered, was it pure luck etc?

A cannonball to the face would kill him right... but against woc that is not so easy since they only got the hellcannon...

Against empire perhaps not so easy...
You gave him dreadknight so you have to challenge. When you attack a unit you are killing one champion and propably getting 6 combat res all and all. Enough to prevent crumbling I quess and after that you can start chopping up rank and file.

I wonder if you could do this with a normal vampire (but on lower scale).

Vengeance Crusader

Grave Guard
Jan 6, 2010
Dklyn said:
Vengeance Crusader said:

Makes nightshroud that much more fun!

But weren't they stubborn/steadfast? how did you handle that?

After their characters fell- they were only testing on Ld 8 or 7 (for warriors and marauders respectively) He was just that little bit unlucky with his Ld tests with his marauders...

Bear in mind that he had to contend with the rest of my army too (a few units of Skeletons, blood knights, a corpse cart, a necromancer, a vampire zombies and some dire wolves)

An important point to make though, I did LOOSE the game overall- his army consisted of the above mentioned units and then a massive horde of 42 BloodLetters with a herald- this unit killed my army, while my character killed the rest of his- but turn 6 (and endgame) there was only my lord and a small unit of skeletons left, where he had his unit of Bloodletters with herald- that turned out to cost more points...

So close!

chuz

Skeleton
Apr 20, 2010
Bloodletters are no match for ghouls (although they might appreciate the help of a character). A ghoul horde can take about anything in the Old World (except for ogres, but I refuse to speak on the matter).

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
you can see a picture left bottom of a Vampire wearing Nightshroud. As the name inplies, it really is a shroud falling over the armour

The shroud in that picture also appears to be eating a bunch of bretonian men at arms.

Elbisrever

Ghoul
Dec 12, 2011
Sanai said:
you can see a picture left bottom of a Vampire wearing Nightshroud. As the name inplies, it really is a shroud falling over the armour

The shroud in that picture also appears to be eating a bunch of bretonian men at arms.

Yes, it's coiling around them forcing them be slowed in their attacks, hence the ASL and no strenght bonusses on units in base contact.

Mind you, fellow vampires, this works great on Grimgor Ironhide. His axe gives him +2 strenght and ASF. Well not if he's in contact with Nightshroud; it robbes him from his strenght-bonus (which would be a scary 8 in the first round of combat combined with his "Choppa"-rule!) and let him strike on initiative. Which is 5 as I recall. Makes him a lot less scary, almost a regular black orc with hatred.

Nightshroud really is one of the best pieces of magic armour out there.

HERO

Wight King
Mar 25, 2009
Nightshroud is a dueling piece imo. If you're fighting rank and file, I'd rather see a Ward save.
Even so, Nightshroud does not provide protection against Killing Blow or Ignore Armor weapons.

N1AK

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 21, 2008
chuz said:
Bloodletters are no match for ghouls (although they might appreciate the help of a character). A ghoul horde can take about anything in the Old World (except for ogres, but I refuse to speak on the matter).

Bloodletters will beat an equivalent value unit of Ghouls
Marauders & Chaos Warriors will beat an equivalent value unit of Ghouls
Dark Elf Corsairs
Lizardmen Saurus with Spears
Just about anything HE due to ASF
Orc of Savage Orc Big'Uns and Black Orcs

Ghouls were about a 7/10 back when they were cheaper and could easily be buffed with WS7. Now there maybe a 5/10.

Put 30 Ghouls with Ghast up against 25 Bloodletters it's not even close.
R1: 11 Dead Ghouls, 5 Bloodletters, Ghouls crumble ~7
R2: Ghouls wiped and maybe take down 1-2 Bloodletters if lucky

Obviously magic can make a difference (ASF/VHD being a big bonus for the Ghouls) but relying on major magic support to win an 'equal' combat is far from ideal.

Personally I'm inclined towards taking Zombies/Skeletons for cheap combat res and combining with Special/Rare/Character choices.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu