• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
Anyone else play? Barrow Legion is my favorite VC subfaction in the game. I think they've done a great job with the undead, Tomb Kings sold me on the game, and I love their Vortex Campaign.

Reactions: Kaptain Von

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
I love it, too. Looking forward to see how it evolves in game 3!

My favourite standard campaign is Vlad's but I've had tons of fun with mods that lets you play as Red Duke in Bretonnia and Walach rebuilding blood keep in the grey mountains. Haven't played the other races very much, although I find the tomb kings rather slow to get started with.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
I've only completed two campaigns: Khatep and Noctilus. Yeah, Tomb Kings are slow to get to their constructs and then even slower to build out proper border armies, it's one of the reasons I like their Vortex Campaign, you can finish it without having to worry too much about how big your empire is. That being said, I generally wipe out the Dark Elves as Khatep, as a matter of principle.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
I love it too. Played ever since the first game came out. Was so excited to see Vlad and Isabella back. I was just playing yesterday as the Vampire Coast, Direfan is my favourite in that group, she's hilarious.
I also like the sisters of twilight and their opposite personalities.
I generally just auto battle everything though as I find the actual in battle part too fast that I lose, whereas the turn based aspect of the map works much better for me.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I have played the game and I did enjoy Isabella and Vlad expansion. That said, I'm more of a Fantasy RPG gamer, so I lost interest in Total Warhammer. I just play ESO now while I wait for the Elder Scrolls six and Fallout five to come out.

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
It's so much fun! Vlad is my favorite, but I spend so long trying to confed/assimilate Manny that the Empire ends up smashing through me like a pile of twigs. I also really want to play the Vampire Coast but I am so bad at managing a mostly ranged army and using them effectively. No matter who I'm fighting I just can't seem to kite them or get enough alpha damage before they tarpit my gunline.

Non-undead factions, Repanse De Lyonesse and Wulfrik the Wanderer are my favorites. Repanse is just a fun run in the desert, she is a monster on her own and watching mass cavalry smash through formations is so satisfying. Wulfrik's ability to confed all the other tribes so quickly and began raiding the southern realms is the ultimate viking fantasy, plus you get to play pokemon/monster hunter while doing it!

Vintersorg

Zombie
Jan 30, 2012
Love the games. I've been religiously buying every Total War game since Rome:Total War in 2003. I love all of them, except SHogun 2.
The Warhammer ones are definitely my favourites though, together with Empire:Total War.
So far, I've only played two campaigns till the end though (Tyrion and Archaon)

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
"Morrslieb shines..."

Excellent games. My favourite undeads are the Vampires, although I don't like how there's no difference between the factions really.

Outside of that I like Imrik for his dragon quest. But I think the Tomb Kings and the Dark Elves have the best voice lines.

Reactions: Grave Tacticus
Jun 4, 2012
I love total war. I've been playing since Medieval 1 but the warhammer ones have been my favorite.

Most of my completed games have been as the Vampire Counts and Orcs. Did Vlad's faction get a big update with the dlc? I've started a few VC campaigns this year but they seem to have fallen behind more recently updated factions.

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
I love total war. I've been playing since Medieval 1 but the warhammer ones have been my favorite.

Most of my completed games have been as the Vampire Counts and Orcs. Did Vlad's faction get a big update with the dlc? I've started a few VC campaigns this year but they seem to have fallen behind more recently updated factions.
Vlad and the other Vampire Counts lords got a "little" update. A nice little refinement.

Reactions: Count CocoFang

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
2000 hours in and it's safe to say I don't hate these games...

Obviously I played the Vampire Counts to death in the first one, can't say I really clicked with any other faction. I wanted to like Norsca, but they're just a bit too brittle for me.

Going into the second, hoo, let's see... I started out with Dark Elves (completions as Malekith and Malus, got a good way into a Morathi run but the Ulthuan grind was just too much for me), picked up Tomb Kings (Khalida's my favourite, scrum for Lustria or crawl for Nagashizzar), gave Vampire Coast a fair go (Luthor's the only campaign I can finish though), and I've dabbled with Azhag a few times. The real breakout hit for me was the Wood Elves - trying Drycha and the Sisters really brought me to a new appreciation for them and I've started playing them in tabletop now.

But of course, I always come back to Kemmler (from his new start) and Isabella (nothing quite like those OP vampire heroes - I'd play her more but the Linux port is bugged and doesn't show her eye glow properly, really throws me off). Since the revamp I've been having a go at Mannfred, confederated Vlad (delighted to see he gets the Crossbowmen buff now) and am currently sitting on most of the Empire, with one Wood Elf enclave on my side and one very much not. And a small issue with Throgg knocking from the north. I've turned off the End Times button so I actually get a dynamic world instead of scripted Chaos nonsense and it's all been very enjoyable.

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
No one tried lizardmen?
I gave them a go when the game first dropped, and again when Gor-Rok arrived. Never finished a campaign. They're OK, I suppose? I don't really like the Rampage mechanic and they're built around managing that. Gor-Rok and Kroak are quite fun for sheer "BLOW IT ALL UP" potential but I already have a shove-infantry-forward-cast-doom-spells fave and it's Mannfred.

A. v. Hal

Zombie
Aug 20, 2021
Anyone else play? Barrow Legion is my favorite VC subfaction in the game. I think they've done a great job with the undead, Tomb Kings sold me on the game, and I love their Vortex Campaign.

Of course!
It's the next best way to get immersed in the WH universe other than the original WH.
Also I think they did a great job with the visual designs of the units.

Loran

Destroyer of Worlds
Feb 26, 2008
Finland
I've loved the series more or less ever since Shogun and Medieval 2, and like Vintersog Total War Empire is my favourite out of the non-Warhammer games.

I've dabbled in more or less all races, but not all starting characters/regions. I've completed the Mortal Empires with the Empire, Bretonnia, Dark Elves, High Elves, Lustria and of course Vampire Counts with Mannfred. With Vlad/Isabella, I've usually ended up getting steam-rolled by the Empire who for some reason object to becoming Undead regions. I've also liked Dwarfs apart from the very quick grudge negatives, which means that about halfway through the game the amount of grudges means that your Empire is deteriorating very quickly through massed enemy armies, rebellions and angered Dawi factions 😅

Vampires have always been fun, and out of the others the Empire is fun once you get a hang of the internal squabbles with the Elector Counts. And I do have to admit, the massed cavalry charge with a Bretonnian army is fun to watch. Can't wait for Total War Warhammer 3 😁

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
Back on this nonsense with a new Tomb Kings campaign and some quality of life mods (one to tidy up the building tree and put some of the T5 buildings into lines that have a lower tier, one to start the game confederated with the other TK LLs, and one to turn off AI confederations and military alliance spam). Pretty good fun so far, though I wish I'd figured out that the confederated Lords always recruit at level 1 (it's fair, just aggravating to realise after thirty turns). I even briefly got my hands on the Sword of Khaine after trekking up to Ulthuan to recover a book (although I gave it back when it started to get Dominating - SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE, dammit!).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu