• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
ok, this is going to be long, so the Rep will be divided in more than a single post. Here you'll have only the first round!

FIRST ROUND

Drake constellation: reroll 1 to hit. Great!

FEC's turn

My opponent moves: abhorrant, Ghouls, Flayers+courtier block; the abhorrant summons a unit of 3 flayers on the left obj and the barricate has been cast in the middle, without being countered.
His general is kept out of the 25" range of the EotGs

5 points for FEC.

02.jpg

SERAPHON's turn

OK, this is going to be Tricky, so i'll anticipate something, in relation to skinks.
The plan is to run with my little friends to take obj points and play my real game on the right.

I would need just to roll a 3 to take the 3 points on the left obj, but i roll a 2, so i decide to go for the central one, and also the other skinks run for it, but also in this case i roll poorly. Both the left and central obj remain in FEC hands.

But now let's see in DETAIL what i did with the rest of the army, back to the hero phase…

03.jpg

OK, i want to eliminate the threat represented by those flayers and their general.

Hero phase:
forego all spells
LoSaT on the "unassembled" EotG. i roll a 5, so i can even move
I roll the engine for the unassembled EotG, now in range of the general for mortal wound, but i get a summon instead. First turn, so rippers and toad!
I roll the second engine, and i get the d6 mortal wounds. only the flayers are in range, so i proceed to inflict 3 MWs.
I use the second LoSaT on the sallies, rolling a 3; i place the sallies at 9" from the flayers.

Move
i move forward the engines and the Slann
I choose to summon 3 handlers; now my 4 sallies shoot at 12", and I'm in full range of the flayers. I'm going to deliver some pain…

04.jpg

shooting:
the shooting could be good, as with rend-2 the flayers can only count on their 6+ Death save, but is not enough, not by far. We're talking about a 24 wounds unit. i hit at 3+, rerolling 1... of those 4 rolls, two of them are 2, and then only one wounds.

Charge
I need to charge with the rippers, but I've kept the command point to reroll the charge (and this is why i did not use that cp to make a 6" run for those lazy skinks…).
Despite the double roll, the rippers don't make the charge, so I've got only the EotG.
I charge and inflict some good damage on those flayers, but at the end 2 survive.

THey fight back…. twice, tnx to that cursed feeding frenzy, and one of my EotG is killed turn one. 10 wounds exactly.

05.jpg

I only take one point.

5-1 for FEC

See you next round…

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
SECOND ROUND

We roll for the obj, and the one Worth 3 points is on my right, exactly where i needed it!
and I win the roll! double turn for me!!!
clear.png

SERAPHON's turn

I'm fairly confident i can manage the few remaining enemy's forces on the right.
I forego all 3 spells, so i go to 12 conjuration pts.

The engine roll the d6 MW, i shoot at the ghouls for… 2 damage.
Sallies shoot and kill the general, rippers take care of the flayers, skinks' shooting fails but they take the central obj.

i collect 4 pts

now we're 5-5

06.jpg

FEC's turn

the 3 summoned flayers stay on the left obj.
that dreadful terrorgheist attacks my skinks and, tnx to feeding frenzy, wipes away both my units before i can wary fighter away. Ouch

2 pts for FEC

07.jpg

7-5 for FEC

THIRD ROUND

The 3-pts obj is the one where the terrorgheist is.

I win the roll.

SERAPHON'S turn

The abhorrant is scary, but i have all i need to deal with it. the beast got 15 wounds (14+1 tnx to the realm of life we're playing in)

I forego all the spells, 9 conj points and i would go to 21. WOULD is the word, because for some fucking reason i forgot i was already at 12, so in my mind i was 12 right now.
clear.png

I activate the engine. d6 mortal wounds delivered to the terrorgheist. I roll 1.

i move, and at the end of the move i summon 2 sallies (because i was stuck with the stupid idea of 12 conj points). I can shoot tnx to the handlers, so i'm gonna flame the beast with SIX salamanders. I also place the rippers to charge and finish the work.

The first unit of 2 sallies. only 1 pass. d6 wounds… I roll 1. It burns… i roll 1.
The second unit of 4 sallies. Only 1 pass. d6 wounds… I roll 1.
3d6+1d3 and i rolled 4 damages.

08.jpg

With such awful rolls I cannot charge the terrorgheist as i cannot kill it and he would retaliate blasting away the charger unit, then it would be FEC's turn.
So, i must force the terrorgheist to stay there.
The rippers charge and kill the ghouls, taking also the objective.
4 pts for me

9-7 for SERAPHON.

FEC's turn

the terrorgheist heals d3 wounds… 3. he's back to 14.
monstrous vigor is dispelled.
simple and easy, the terrorgheist charges and slays without effort the rippers, taking again the obj

09.jpg

4 pts for FEC

11-9 for FEC

FOURTH ROUND

The 3-pts obj goes on the left, easy prey of the flayers.

I win the roll.

SERAPHON'S turn

My force is still sufficiently powerful to deliver a solid blow, but i also must run for obj points.
I could teleport the 4 sallies: they are too large and i cannot directly control the 3-pts obj, but if i roll a 5-6 i could move and shoot. taking 4 pts and go 14-11
However, the terrorgheist would be alive, and if i don't kill the 3 flayers i would be dead.

the alternative is: go again at full strenght against the terrorgheist. I'll take "only" 2 pts, (14-11 at the end of FEC's turn), but if i kill it in the last turn i will easily score 5 pts, especially if i summon a 10 skink unit to be teleported in the last round.

Both plans are risky, i decide to go for the latter.

I cast arcane bolt on the terrorghieis for 1 wound (i need everything), and summon 10 skinks.
Engine: d6 MWs… i roll 2.
shooting.
The first unit of 2 sallies. only 1 pass. d6 wounds… I roll 1. Again. It burns… 1.
The second unit of 4 sallies. Only 1 pass. d6 wounds… I roll 2.
3d6+1d3 and i rolled 6 damages. WTF?!?

10.jpg

The beast is down to 8 wounds.
i charge with the engine and i inflict 8 damage (2 of them saved by Death save). Still alive with 2 remaining wounds.

The engine simply evaporates with the double counterattack by the feeding frenzy

Yeah, i score 2 pts and we are 11-11

FEC's turn

the abhorrant moves and charges the 4 sallies. dead.

4 pts for FEC

11.jpg

FIFTH ROUND

the 3 pts obj stays near the flayers

FEC win the roll.

THe terrorgheist charges my 2 sallies (slaying them easily), and given that my Slann is in range of the maws, he's attacked too.
3 to hit… to add insult to injury, triple 6. 18 mortal wounds.

MAJOR VICTORY for FEC

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Considerations about the game..

1 - track down everything. Ever. don't trust your mind… to forget a whole friggin' turn of collected conjuration points it's a rookie mistake, and it probably costed me the game.

2 - Mathhammer is important, but you can never be sure when dices are involved.
in 2 turns of concentrate efforts, i rolled 6d6+2d3 damage, and i rolled 10 wounds, leaving my killer standing with 2 wounds.
this breaks any statistic, and was the main cause of my doom.

3 - the new warscrolls are terrifying. The new FEC hero on terrorgheist / dragon cannot simply be faced in malee by anything old.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
A long time has passed since my last BatRep playing Nighthaunts.

doing it, i noticed my spectres are largely unpainted… so my next step will be to paint them.

Anyway, let's go.
2000 pts, against an army that has been recentaly buffed by the new battletome

Nighthaunt vs Nurgle

NIGHTHAUNTS

Knight of Shroud (ruler of the spirit hosts, Dreadbolt ring)
Deathriders battalion:
- 1 Dreadblade harrow
- Black coach
- 2 x 5 Hexwraith
Execution Horde:
- 1 Lord executioner (Pendant of the Fell Wind)
- 3 Spirit Hosts
- 3 Spirit Hosts
- 6 Spirit Hosts

Guardian of Souls (Beacon of Nagashizzar)
20 Chainrasp Horde
1 Cairnwraith

should be clear… i picked 2 battalions to reduce number of drops, plus additional artefact and CP. The pendant will give me good speed, the Deathriders battalion is made to give be good mobility, and the Guardian + Black coach + RoSH by the general will push my raising abilities

NURGLE:

Great Unclean One (general. ???)
Lord of Blight
Harbinger of Decay
20 Plaguebearers
20 Plaguebearers
15 Putrid
6 Plague Drones

OK, putrid and drones are big, problematic units, which properly buffed can basically kill everything, and very hard to take down.

BATTLEPLAN:

Duality of Death.

Urgh… i hate it. There goes my careful planning around a mobile list.
2 obj, only heroes or behemoths can capture them. The longer you stay on an obj, the more points you gain (1 when you take it, 2 if you hold it 2 rounds, and so on). It's basically a race to take the objectives and hold them… luckily, I have less drops, tnx to the double battalion. But men, i really hate to go first...

Duality.jpg

Set-Up

I place
cairnwraith, 20 chainrasp, Dreadblade harrow and 5 hexwraiths in the underworld.
all the rest of the army forms a big block threatening the right obj, with the Coach and my general left slightly behind.
Nurgle places the army all across the field.
20 plaguebearers + Lord of Blight on my left.
20 plaguebearers , the Great Unclean and the Harbinger in the middle
15 putrid + 6 Drones face my undead.

A gnarlmaw (nurgle tree, proxied in the picture), is placed directly over the left obj.

0_Setup.jpg

I choose to go first.
Let's go!

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
FIRST ROUND

NIGHTHAUNT's turn

THe Coach gains 1 level of power.
My Guardian of souls fails to cast Shade Mist.
At that point, it's pretty easy: i run forward with my main block: the outer ring is formed by the hexwraith in the frontline and the 2 units of 3 spirit hosts. At the core, we have the unit of 6 SH , the guardian of souls and the Lord executioner.
I place my Coach within 12" of the Pendant of fell wind.

Now, units from the underworld…. At the end of the move phase, the Cairnwraith pops on the left obj, screened by 20 chainrasp

01.jpg

I take 1+1 pt

NURGLE's turn.

time to test my defenses.

The Drones are buffed as if there was no Tomorrow.
20 plaguebearer go for my chainrasp, ready to charge, supported by the Lord of Blight
The rest of the army pushes toward my strongest side.

02.jpg

Charges + combat.

ON the left, the plaguabearers impact on my chainrasps. i was expecting bad news, but i'm really resilient. 3 chainrasps die, and a couple of Pb too. My line holds, and that's good!

On the right…. the putrids fail their 8" charge, but tnx to my placement, the Drones are able to impact only the hexwraiths and also (with 1 of them) the spirit hosts. A SH is killed and the hexwraiths are wiped away…. but now my SH can pile in, and 2 Drones are killed.
I got some luck with the putrids, but my defensive line was well placed

03.jpg

SECOND ROUND

I win the roll. a double turne by Nurgle could have almost killed me

NIGHTHAUNT's turn

THe Coach gains 2 levels of power and goes to 3, and I can run and charge.
My Guardian of souls casts Shade Mist on the Coach, my Knight of shrouds uses the command ability.

Now, the move...
The coach is within range of the Pendant, so its move is 17... i use a command point to run 6", for a grand total of 23"!.
I fly over the big melee, and i threaten the flank of the putrid's unit.
On the left, the Dreadblade and the 2nd unit of hexwraiths appear.

charge…
the coach impacts one putrid model and the Harbinger
the Dreadblade and the hexwraiths (these ones rerolling the charge with a command point), catch the Lord of blight!.
perfect.

04.jpg

Combat:
the coach concentrates on the Harbinger, largely killing it. I don't attack the putrid, 'cause i want to lock them in combat with me.
WIth the pile in i surround the Lord of Blight, reducing him to 1 wound.
with their pile-in, only 3 putrids can attack the coach, with minimal results.
2 Plague Drones are killed

i control the 2 obj for the 2nd consecutive round, so its 2+2, for a total of 6 VPs

NURGLE's turn.
THe Lord of Blight cannot escape (and will die).
THe plaguebearers are unable to break my chainrasps
The putrid are locked in combat with the Coach, and with the pile in only 6 of them will fight…. my move totally blocked the strongest unit of Nurgle!
THe Great Unclean goes in help but, tnx to the Shade Mist, my coach survives with 1 wound!!!

05.jpg

THIRD ROUND

Nurgle wins the roll, and the Great Unclean + the putrid finish the glorious Coach.

...but given that in my round i will score 6 more points and that only the Great Unclean remains to seize the obj, my opponent concedes.

MAJOR VICTORY FOR NIGHTHAUNTS!

Yeah, i don't like this scenario, but i'm satisfied by the way I've played it. my positioning was excellent, and the move with the coach to block the biggest threat was the move that won me the game.

Last edited:

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I enjoyed seeing a Nighthaunt victory, especially against an army of Chaos, given that Chaos has been the bane of my life to beat during the last few editions of Warhammer that I played and Age of Sigmar. Congratulations on your victory and thank you for the report :).

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Glad you liked it @Irisado !

I also find that this kind of BatReps, with pictures, arrows and notations, helps greatly in the understanding of the battle. It takes some time, but from now on i will use this format.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
new edition - AoS 3.0

A long time has passed since my last BatRep playing Nighthaunts... more than 2 years!

if we add that this is a new edition and i've acquired many new units that i was never able to play 'til now... well, I'm not a novice, but wer're damn near

Anyway, let's go.
2000 pts, against an Ironjawz army. Luckily, also my opponent is basically a novice with ironjawz

Nighthaunt vs Ironjawz

1st Spoiler: in this game, I've made 3 huge mistakes: the first in the list building, the second in the deployment, the third during the game
2nd spoiler: my opponent did 2 mistakes too. One of them definitely big.

NIGHTHAUNTS

(grand strategy: dominating presence)

Leaders:
Knight of Shroud on steed (general, ruler of the spirit hosts)
Lady Olinder (with soul cage)
Guardian of souls (with shademist and beacon of nagashizzar)
Krulghast cruciator (pendant of the fellwind)
Tomb Banshee

Battlelines:
5 hexwraiths
5 hexwraiths
9 spirit hosts

other:
10 Dreadscythe Harridans
1 Black coach

Monsters:
Mourngul

i picked the hero battalions to have the additional artefact.
MY FIRST MISTAKE: all in all, the list presents 2 problems: I have a truly solid raise potential but on a second tought it's even excessive, given the limited amount of targets. and most of all, a 9 hosts unit is too large: it reduces the number of units i have, and it's not able to exploit the attacks (the only good thing is that i can lose models without being hampered in my offensive, but it's not a good trade-off)

IRONJAWZ
(warclan: Ironsunz)

Leaders:
Megaboss on Mawcrusha (general, Comm. trait: RIght fist of dakkabad; artefact: sunzblessed armor; Mount trait: mean up)
Gordrakk (mount trait: Heavy 'un)
Orruk Warchanter (get 'em beat)
Orruk warchanter (killa beast)

Battlelines:
3 Orruk Gore-gruntas
3 Orruk Gore-gruntas
6 Orruk Gore-gruntas

OK, they are fast as hell, the can be right in my face T1, lots of wounds, lots of hurt. Plus, many nasty ability, as the command ability that let une of their units within 12" charge me after my charge phase, or the free d6 move when i damage them, or the mawcrushers' charge that if delete a unit lets them charge again, the fact that they gain 1 wound and one attack each time they kill something......

My opponent mistake: 2 Mawcrusha may be scary but aren't that good. more than half of the list is made by those 2 beasts.

BATTLEPLAN:

Savage gains.

4 obj: the one in your territory is 1 point, the 2 in the middle are worth 2 pts, the one in your opponent's zone is 4 pts.
every battle tactics completed is worth 2 points.
the grand strategy is worth 3 points

Set-Up (and plan)

i know this army can reach me anywhere, and i also know that i cannot afford a direct charge on my big guys, so my sort of plan is to abandon one side of the battlemap, castle the troops around my buffers and lure him into trying to break me.

I place
5 hexwraith on the left
5 hexwraith at the center
then 10 harridans and 9 spirit hosts, screening the 5 heroes, the mourngul and the black coach (heavily reiforced here, as i was facing the main threats)

this is where i made my second, BIG MISTAKE.
I should have kept a unit of hexwraiths in the underworlds, thus threatening his rearline and his objective, forcng him to keep back something.
I didn't, so i remove a potential threat, leaving my opponent free to develope his attack as it pleased him.

Ironjawz places the army, from my left to right:.
magaboss on mawcrusha + warchanter + 3 gore grunts
warchanter already sitting on the central objective
Gordrakk + 3 + 6 gore gruntas.

time to roll for initiative...

Set-up.jpg

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
FIRST ROUND

I win the roll, but i don't want to expose myself and i don't want to give ironjawz the first chance for double turn, so i let them go first

IRONJAWZ's turn

As battle tactics, my opponent selects broken ranks (he must destroy one of my battleline, and selects the hexwraiths on my left)

he makes a double move with his Megaboss, ending at 8" from my cavalry.
the rest of the army runs, taking favorable positions: they keep control of all the mid-field objectives, the 3 gruntas on my left are directly threatening my rear objective and the trio "doddrakk + 9 gruntas" on the right are in a very dangerous position, too far from me to be attacked as a whole.

Turn 1_1 Iron.jpg

in the charge phase, tnx to a reroll with a command point, the orruk's general will wipe its target, ending my presence in that portion of the battlefield and completing its battle tactics (1+2+2 pts for objectives, + 2 pts for battle tactic)

NIGHTHAUNT's turn

More or less the match is going as i feared.
I have no way to dictate the flow of the game, and i'm clearly going to lose my own objective, which is worth 4 pts. I am unable to use in effective way my hero phase (due to the short range of many of my abilities) and i cannot punch hard enough the enemies in front of me.
I have only one plan now: i need to appear weak and vulnerable, luring my opponent into a "go for the kill mode", hoping to weather the storm and to have enought strenght to push back.

As battle Tactic i select Ferocious Advance (i must run with 3 units, ending the move with each one within 3" from the otther ones)

Hero phase:
i can cast 3 spells, and i fail all of them. the abilities that lets me do mortal wounds at range are too short.

Movement:
the spirit hosts and the black coach move forward, to charge and weaken something. the block of buffing heroes with the mourngul reform a castle behind them
the remaining hexwraith, the banshee and the harridans run, positioning to for a double screen

Shooting:
the black coach misses, and also the krulghast cruciator, despite the use of "all out attack". No 5+feel no pain for me.

Charge:
the black coach charges and the spirit hosts too.... but despite the reroll (a 5, followed by another 5), they are not able to reach the 3 gruntas tha are sitting on the right obj, so i have no hopes of claim it. only 2 hosts are able to attack the 6 gruntas. At least i position them to complete the screen

Turn 1_2 Night.jpg

In the following combat, i kill one gruntas and take another one to 2 wounds. In return, they do nothing to my black coach and kill 1 spirit host.

Basically, i have no obj, and i score only 2 points for my battle tactic.

end of battle round 1
Victory Points:
7-2 for Ironjawz.

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
SECOND ROUND

My opponent wins the roll, and obviously takes the turn

IRONJAWZ's turn

As battle tactics, my opponent selects aggressive expansion (he must control 2 objective that are not fully in his territory. He already controls them...)

Move:
surprise!
the boar gruntas on my left move, followed somehow by the running warchanter.
double move again by his general, which is flanked by Gordrakk... the two beasts are ready to crush my lines.
the last unit of 3 gruntas is ready to help their friend agains my spirit hosts.

shooting:
a hexwraith and a Harridan are killed

Charge!
the gruntas with their impact kill another host
the double impact hits from the double charge by the mawcrusha (plus the stomp as monster action) blast my hexwraith, so Gordrakk can charge again: he impacts on my banshee, rolling 9 dices and inflicting 1 MW for each 4+...but my banshee remains "alive" with 1 wound, so he's forced to spend his whole combat phase in killing that last wound. whew!
A thin line of 9 harridans remains between them (which have both gained another wound and additional attack) and my heroes.

Turn 2_1 Iron.jpg

in the following combat between gore-gruntas and spirit hosts / black coach, things don't go as well for the ironjawz.
Now that i can deploy my hosts almost at full potential and i stop to roll abysmal dices with my coach, i lose only 1 hosts, and a couple of wounds on the coach, while i kill everything but 1 boar (also tnx to a failed battleshock)!

Turn 2_2 Iron.jpg

still, my opponent scores full points: 1+2+2+4 for obj, 2 for battle tactics, going to 18-2

NIGHTHAUNT's turn

As battle tactic, i select Bring it down. I must kill gordrakk.

Hero phase.
i heal / raise everything, then i start with grief stricken on Gordrakk (goes off) and soul cage (fail), followed both by lifting the veil and grave sands of time (6 MWs)

This is my second, BIG MISTAKE of my opponent: he forgot (and so did I) the rule that he could have a d6 move in each phase he's damaged. Basically he stood still, as if he had no other choices.

move:
i position myself to charge with the mourngul and the coach (on the back, to engage also the warchanter)

Shooting
Veil of the damned on the last gruntas and on Gordrakk (another couple of wounds)
the cruciator kills the gruntas, freeing the spirit hosts and gaining the 5+ fnp bubble

Turn 2_3 Night.jpg

Charge:
additional 2 d3 MWs to goddrak from the charges of black coach (power level ability) and Mounrgul (monster action), charge of spirit hosts on goddrakk and the warchanter.

The harridans charge the megaboss

Gordrakk is killed and the warchanter too (in the pic is still alive).

Turn 2_4 Night.jpg

The harridans, buffed by the general, manage to inflict 5 wounds to the second mawcrusha, but are killed in return ("only" 11 wounds taken after the saves and feel no pain at 5+. A pity). Not a picture here, sorry.

my plan has sorta worked, i gain 2 pts for my battle tactic and 2 pts for the objective

end of battle round 2
Victory Points:
18-6 for Ironjawz.

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
THIRD ROUND

I win the roll.... Double turn!!!

NIGHTHAUNTS's turn

time is running short, i need to go for the obj in the opponent's battlefield. I take a measure... it's 26.5" from my Knight of Shroud on steed. Perfect.

As battle tactic I select aggressive expansion.

Hero phase: very similar to the previous one, but i fail to weaken the general on mawcrusha with Olynder (i roll a 1 on lifting the veil).
Still, both grief stricken and soul cage go off. My guardian of souls sets the arcane bolt.

move:
the black coach (now with full optionals), flies to deal with the 3 gore gruntas.
my knight on steed got move 15", tnx to the pendant of the fellwind. i use a cp to make it run 6" i move 21" and i'm at 5.5" from the obj, which i steal! this move is worth 6 pts (the battle tactic and the rear objective)
Everything else converge on the megaboss on mawcrusha

Turn 3_1 Night.jpg

this was, of course, my third and last big mistake.
the megaboss was already weakened, sitting on 6 wounds after the 3 MWs on the charge by the Mourngul. He was going to take d3 MWs for arcane bolt, plus a combat routine from the mourngul with +1 to hit.
the spirit hosts was overkill, i should have sent them on the gruntas, to help the coach.
this way, unless the coach kills at least 2 of them, the objective will stay in Ironjawz control.

no pics, but it went exactly so.
the coach killed 1 boar and took another to 1 wound remaining: with 2 models, the obj was not mine.

i collect 4+2 pts for obj and another 2 for the battle tactic, going to 14.

IRONJAWZ's turn.

my opponent got not that many options.
he knows he cannot kill my coach, so he selects "savage spearhead" as battle tactic (2 units in my territory)

he disengages the 2 survived boars, still controlling the objective.

so, he collects 2+4 pts for obj and +2 for battle tactic.

end of battle round 3
Victory Points:
26-14 for Ironjawz.

FOURTH ROUND

My opponent wins the roll.... Double turn for him

rinse and repeat his last turn, but without additional Battle Tactics, as he is not able to do anything. 6 pts for obj

NIGHTHAUNTS's turn

i wipe the Ironjawz army, competing also my battle tactic (broken ranks) for a grand total of 11 pts

end of battle round 4
Victory Points:
32-25 for Ironjawz.

FIFTH ROUND

i collect 11 pts (all objectives + battle tactic savage spearhead) + 3 pts for the Grand Strategy at the end of battle.

Victory Points:
39-32 for Nighthaunts.

MAJOR VICTORY FOR NIGHTHAUNTS!​

Well, what can i say?
it was a weird match, marked by many mistakes by both (list selections, deployments, tactical decisions, oversights), between two not optimal lists, but still a very fun one.
In the end, i won the game just because i set a trap and my opponent fell into it. I suppose the next times he will be more careful before trying to wipe away too soon a "weak" opponent.
Board control is all and if you have it, sometimes is better to play more cautiously.

thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome. 😉

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Nighthaunt vs Kharadron Overlords
(1000 pts)

This is a new player that joined our gaming group. He knows the game so he's not unexperienced, but he's more used to play smaller games, around 1000-1500 pts, so...

Of course, I'm slightly worried.... 1000 pts of KO don't bring to the table an enormous amount of firepower, however with only 1000 pts i won't have many units to absorb the shooting, plus the battlefield's size is the same as 2000, and i am melee against a superior move army.
I will be vulnerable to surgical strikes and so i must plan accordingly.

NIGHTHAUNTS

(grand strategy: dominating presence - 1 battleline must survive)
Warlord Battalion

Leaders:
Spirit Torment (general, ruler of the spirit hosts, pendant of the fellwind)
Knight of Shroud on steed (Midnight Tome - spells: shademist, Ghost mist)
Tomb Banshee

Battlelines:
5 hexwraiths
6 spirit hosts

other:
4 glaivewraith stalkers
1 Black coach

THE REASONING:
i can put 3 units in reserve: I'm gonna to set away my general with the 6 spirit hosts and the stalkers:
Stalkers will be useful for deep strike obj stealing, the general will be safe in the underworld and can come with the spirit hosts where i need some punch, with good move tnx to the pendant, raising them with the general trait.
Hexwraith + Knight of shrouds will be on the battlefield, hidden out of sight into wyldwoods or a terrain that will negate LoS tnx to Ghost Mist (universal enhancement), and possibly i will protect the hexwraiths or the coach with that precious -1 to be wounded tnx to Shademist. The coach will hopefully raise the hexw.

KHARADRON OVERLORDS
(skyport: a custom one that i cannot remember what the bonuses were. I just recall a bonus called against my black coach and additional aether gold pieces)

(grand strategy: the one that in the end you must have more units than your opponent)

Leaders:
Admiral (general,trait: War Wound, on a 2+ gains an additional cp)
Aetheric Navigator (artefact: flare pistol: if he hits, all KO units reroll to hit vs the target. Pretty potent)

Battlelines:
10 arkhanaut company
10 arkhanaut company

Ships:
1 Frigate
1 Grundstock Gunhauler

Other:
5 thunderers

pretty obvious tactic here: 2 company units to sit in the back for obj control, admiral + navigator + thunderers garrisoned into the frigate, so the block frigate + gunhauler will flyi high in the sky and teleport each round in safe places to munch me away one piece at a time.

BATTLEPLAN:

The Veins of Ghur

Ouch.
no obj in the first round, they will drop randomly 1 at the beginning of the second round, and the other 2 at the beginning of the third.
for each obj you score a number of VPs equal to the number of battle round. Deep strike and high move will be vital in the last part of the game

Set-Up (and plan)

We roll and I am the defender (sweet!), so i pick the terrains and place them.

i know KO can reach me anywhere, so i need to build some defensive position.
I pick 2 large wyldwoods (to negate LoS), then a Ophidian archway (to have a sweet -1 to hit for nearby units) and a baleful realmgate for cheap teleport. Then some random terrains

My opponent just one-drop his army, the vessels in the middle with embarked units, 2 ark. companies on the sides.
(he picked the side of the battlefield with the baleful realmgate, so i have the one with the archway)
i must divide my forces: black coach hidden behind the ophidian archway, hexw., knight of shrouds and banshee into a wood, completely out of sight.
Solid.

Set-up.jpg

Of course, my opponent decides that i will go first in the first round.

Let's begin!

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
FIRST ROUND

NIGHTHAUNTS' turn

There are no obj on the table, i have literally no desire to leave my position.
As battle tactics, i pick Ferocious advance.
i "run" with the group in the wyldwood, basically no one really moves, I just reposition them slightly, moving forward the banshee but keeping everything as it was.
Alas, i cannot protect the coach with shademist. Our spells really do have a terrible range.

Horray, 2 Victory Points!

KHARADRON's turn

My opponent ponders about deep strike my black coach. But no objectives are in play, and he wants to see where the first obj will land, to avoid me popping my reserves to deal with his vessels AND nearby an obj, so he decides to play safely.
He picks my exact Battle Tactic (for 2 sure VPs), and just reshuffle a bit his units. Basically at the end of the first round, the battlefield is almost as equal as the set-up!

end of battle round 1
Victory Points:
2-2

SECOND ROUND

The Obj. n. 1 drops. It's placed on my right, in the middle

We roll for initiative. I win and, all in all, i decide to let my opponent go.
Pro: I'm in the exact good place as before, and in this way i can hope in a double turn when thing are going to heat up.
Cons: Of course, the doubt was to act, drop my general with the hosts and hope in a 9" charge against the ships while i move with the coach. High risk, High reward, but the real face of the match will be revealed at the start of turn 3, and i don't want to drop my reserves too soon.

KHARADRON's turn

As Battle Tactic my opponent picks Savage Spearhead: he must have 2 units in my deploymet zone (ships are going to fly!)

The arkhanaut companies just stay in the back, waiting for the drop of the other obj in the 3rd round.
The vessels fly in my back lines, and concentrate the shooting on my black coach, rerolling all to hits.
some shots fail to wound but my saves are poor... at least i roll a couple of 6s with deathless spirits, but my coach is already severely crippled!

Turn 2_1 KO.jpg

Then that cursed Frigate makes the 9" charge and delivers some mortal wounds tnx to a special bomb that works against flying units.
The coach is at 1 wound, but then it's my turn to counterattack, and i manage to roll really good (also rerolling 1s for the gained levels of power), leaving the Frigate on 3 wounds left!
unfortunately, the garrisoned admiral finishes the coach.

Turn 2_2 KO.jpg

Sigh, my coach is dead; that's not good, not at all.
And my opponent scores 2 Victory points. (4-2 for KO)

NIGHTHAUNTS' turn

Things are.... interesting.
At the beginning of this battle round i wasn't ready to drop my spirit hosts, however now things are different.
The frigate has been damaged, so it won't be able to fly high. It's stuck there (with its crew), in the corner.
If i drop the spirits in the rearlines of my opponent i will have a strong unit ready to strike when the obj will land, and with some luck i could wipe away one of the 2 arkhanaut unit immediately!
Anyway, on average, i will have 2 obj within my "control zone" and only 1 in the area controlled directly by KO.

So, i select savage spearhead for 2 sure VPs .

Move:
my banshee runs 6" with a command point and seizes the 1st (and only) obj on the rigtht
hexwraiths (protected by shademist) and the Knight move to deal with the Gunhauler (i want to kill or at least cripple it)
my general and the spirit hosts deep strike into the heart of the enemy's land!

Turn 2_3 Night.jpg

My plan fails miserably.

the spirit hosts fails the 9" charge, even with reroll (bad, but hey)
when my hexwraith charge, the frigate shoots as reaction in help ot the gunhauler, and 2 hexwraiths are killed
Then the bomb from the gunhauler kills another one even before the combat start.
With only the knight and 2 hexwraiths, i'm able to inflict only 4 wounds to the gunhauler. That hurts, if I'm not going to have double turn, i will lose my knights...

i collect 4 points (2 for the battle tactic, 2 for the obj)

end of battle round 2
Victory Points:
6-4 for Nighthaunts.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
THIRD ROUND

We roll for the 2 remaining falling obj.
With 1 on the right, on average I should have 2 within my grasp and only one near the KO units
We roll and... OHOHOH... they both lands on the right side!
this is great news!

However, my opponent rolls a 6, so he has the initiative..

(note: from now on, the point of view of the pictures will be from the "interesting" side)

KHARADRON's turn

Well, the gunhauler is stuck in melee and the frigate is crippled.
My opponent selects Broken Ranks as battle tactic and of course he's gonna kill my remaining hexwraiths, alongside with my poor knight of shrouds. So long for my useless "wizard"

a unit of Ark. company takes control of the nearby obj (trying to pepper my general but inflicting only 1 wound, that will be healed), the other unit of dwarfs moves toward me and manages to do a 9" charge against the back of my spirit hosts.... regretting it immediately, as they are wiped out.

5 pts for KO (2 for battle tactic + 3 for obj)

Turn 3_1 KO.jpg

NIGHTHAUNTS's turn

mirroring my opponent, i too select Broken Ranks. I'm going to wipe away those arkhanaut dwarfs!

Command point and I run 6" with the banshee, going toward obj n. 2 (placing her in the woods).
My general and the 6 spirit hosts shred into pieces the dwarfs.

Turn 3_2 Night.jpg

(NB: picture taken at the beginning of the 4rth round, after the loss of 1 spirit host due to lack of unit coherency and another one due to 3 MW inflicted by the Navigator's ability with range 36")

Anyway, the whole side is mine, and i control ALL the objectives, for 2+3+3+3!

end of battle round 3
Victory Points:
17-9 for Nighthaunts.

FOURTH ROUND

Well, another 6 for my opponent, so no double turn for me.

KHARADRON's turn

My opponent chooses Conquer as battle tactic. (He must steal an obj from me).

the gunhauler goes high in the sky and lands near the obj. n. 2, the Frigate moves only 6" but run and will be able to try a charge tnx to some ability.
no shooting cause my banshee is within the woods. Shooting my general only caused 2 wounds.

That was imo a mistake: sending the gunhauler to the obj n. 1 would have secured it nonetheless, and with a lucky charge from the Frigate toward my banshee, KO would have taken 2 obj in this round.

Turn 4_1 KO.jpg

Charge, both the gunhauler and the frigate make the 9" charges, and dogpile my poor banshee, which still managed to do very nice things in this game, by taking control of many obj.

Turn 4_2 KO.jpg

Now the obj n. 2 is secured by both the ships, which counts as a 4 total models in that regard.

2 pts for battle tactic +4 pts for obj, for a grand total of 15 pts

NIGHTHAUNTS' turn

Once again, i mirror my opponent and select conquer as battle tactic

i only need to manage the movement.

My spirit hosts (back to 5) are happy staying where they are.
My Spirit Torment with the pendant and a 6" run with a CP arrives exactly in range of the obj n. 2
The 4 glaivewraith stalkers finally join the party and appear in range of the obj. n. 2; i have more models and i steal it away.

Turn 4_3 Night.jpg

it's the 4th round, each obj is worth 4 pts and i have 3. Plus the battle tactic, that amounts to 14 pts!

end of battle round 4
Victory Points:
31-15 for Nighthaunts.

My opponent concedes.

MAJOR VICTORY FOR NIGHTHAUNTS!

AFTERMATH & THOUGHTS

My first advantage was to be the defender. Against this kind of opponent, the possibility to place terrains is a solid advantage. Matches are played even before the set-up!
My second advantage, of course, was the mission, which game me time, without the need to spread immediately my few forces (of course the superior KO mobility could have dictated the scenario in a different way, but still...)
My opponent didn't make horrible mistakes. Of course, he could have deep striked my black coach in T1, but it would be a dangerous move, with all the game to be still played, and the "mistake" in the 4th round would have given him just 4 points, enough to keep him in game but probably not enough for victory.

KO have been able to land ALL their long distance charges, while i did not. I was lucky for the falling obj, however at the beginning of the third round there were solid chances that 2 obj would have been in my area and only one in kharadron's, so i was already ahead.

The turning point was really the crippling of the frigate. Paradoxically, my black coach has been decisive.
Other than that, i basically won merely by managing movements (seriously, three run 6" and pendant resolved the game) and picking the right units at the right moments for deep strike.

As always, i welcome any comment and debate.

Last edited:

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Absolute pleasure to read! Good pictures as well. There was a good amount of interesting tactical choices from both players. Great job!

For me the Banshee was the true MVP! 🖤

Reactions: Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Absolute pleasure to read! Good pictures as well. There was a good amount of interesting tactical choices from both players. Great job!

For me the Banshee was the true MVP! 🖤

yeah, her alone gave me 8 VPs and forced the KO ships to move toward her. Really decisive (even the neglected stalkers were good, considering their cost)

I abslutely agree on the tactical choices. This match has been first of all a mind game. And the battle could have developed in a very different way (me keeping the initiative in the 2nd round, or the frigate failing the 9" charge against my coach...)

A fun match.

Reactions: The Sun King

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I've got not only Nighthaunts, but also Soulblight Gravelords.
Right, they are not my main undead army, so my selection is kinda limited, however i can assemble some lists, so why not?

The guy with the Ironjawz army wanted to try the new codex and the cheecky mawcrusha that can move up to 36"

Soulblight Gravelords vs Ironjawz

SOULBLIGHT GRAVELORDS

Avengorii Dynasty

Leaders:
VLoZD (general, eye for an eye, amulet of destiny; mutation: nullblood construct)
Mannfred

Battlelines:
20 skeletons
20 zombies
10 dire wolves

other:
Terrorgheist (Mutation: urges of atrocity)
5 Black Knights
5 Black Knights

Allies:
1 Black coach

Big dudes except Mannfred in Linebreaker battalion
the battlelines + knights: hunters of the Heartlands

Basically two big monsters, supported by Mannfred which is always useful. The Coach is there just because i wanted another solid hitter with good move, and the coach is cheap and doesn't rely on external support.
The list presents a lot of weaknesses, namely little raising power and only 2 casters, however it revolves around big hitters and the rest is just support / shield / battlefield control.

ORRUKS - Ironjawz

Leaders:
Megaboss on Mawcrusha (general, Comm. trait: Hulking brute; artefact: amulet of destiny, mount trait: tough'un)
Magaboss on Mawcrusha (mount trait: Fast'un)
Orruk Warchanter
Orruk warchanter

Battlelines:
3 Orruk Gore-gruntas
6 Orruk Gore-gruntas
10 Brutes (in the pic they are listed as Boyz but they are Brutes

Brutal.

BATTLEPLAN:

Mark the territory.

Very interesting, 4 obj but no one is worth points. all that matters is to complete your battle tactics, and from the 3rd turn, if you control all of them you win immediately

temp.jpg

Set-Up (and plan)

My opponent is the defender and picks 6 terrains + 1 double terrain, and places them all at the border of the table, leaving a large empty space in the middle so nothing will hamper his charge.

I pick the only side with a terrain in the middle to anchor my defense.

The terrains placement is nasty, but i can turn it to my advantage, as i can "hide" my most precious units behind or near terrains, that will shield my flanks

My opponent fields:
on my left: warchanter, megaboss, 10 brutes, 3 Gore gruntas
on my right: 6 gore gruntas, general on mawcrusha, warchanter.

My set-up
left: Black coach hidden behind the tower, shielded by 10 wolves (basically they will just lore a part of my enemy's forces, waiting for the coach to raise in power
right backline: 20 zombies, VLoZD, terrorgheist
right frontline: Mannfred, 20 skellies

the 2 black knights units are in reserve.
the gravesites are near the obj

(note: the Magic cards limit the "real" battlefield, as we were using the old Shattered Dominion map which is too large)

0_Set-up.jpg

My opponent ends before me, and decides to go first

Let's go!

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
FIRST ROUND

IRONJAWZ' turn

Battle tactic: Broken ranks (kill my skellies)

well, they start move with everything for free in the hero phase, plus the warchanter and the mawcrusha buff their hitting power, promising me a bloodbath.

the pic is taken at the end of the hero phase... after that the mawcrusha on the left charges the wolves, the 3+6 gruntas charge Mannfred and the skellies. The mawcrusha general would charge the terrorgheist, but thanks to the terrain he cannot land there, so he just shoot at it and charges the skellies too.

1_1-Orr.jpg

4 wolves luckily manage to stay alive
Mannfred disengages (after dealing 3 MWs to the unit of gruntas with the monster action) and teleports on the back
the Mawcrusha just pulverized the "all out defense" skellies before i can manage to raise them on a 4+

After the carnage, tnx to the Warclan (bloodtoofs?) those gore gruntas make a second charge, impacting on all the rear units, dealing some MWs for the charge, but given it's the end of the combat we are just stuck there.
in this way, my hitters are stuck in melee (the zombies and the VL vs 3 gruntas, the terrorgheist vs 6 gruntas), won't enjoy charge bonus and cannot target the mawcrusha. Nasty.

1_2-Orr.jpg

Battle tactic completed: 1

i manage to roll 5 for the dead skellies, and they are placed "near" the top right gravesite, at more than 9" from the warchanter, behind mannfred (not taken in the pic, sorry)

SOULBLIGHT's turn

Battle tactic: conquer (i must steal an obj from my oppo)

Hero phase:
Mannfred casts Winds of death to soften the units I'm in melee with, then proceeds to Soul pike the mawcrusha
the VLoZD mystic shield the terrorgheist.

Move:
on my left, the black coach (with only 1 power level), moves on the flank; the wolves disengage and follow it, Black knights appear and further shield the coach. the plan is still to have a threatening presence on the left, forcing my opponent to deal with them.

Shoot:
the dragon and the terrorgheist wounds their "own" gruntas

Charge:
The newborn skellies and Mannfred are going to charge and kill the warchanter and steal the obj, completing the battle tactic
the monster actions of the terrorgheist and the VLoZD both enters

Combat:
I want my VLoZD to fully hit the unit of 6 Gruntas, so i select firstly the terrorgheist, moving sligthly it with pile in. I also manage to score a 6 with the maw for 5 MWs.
the VLoZD is able to shift and hit both the units of Gruntas, focussing on the right ones, that are wiped away.
Then the zombies attack the last gruntas on the left, which remains on 3 wounds

In the end, 8 gruntas dead, the zombies and the VLoZD are still stuck in melee.

1_3-SG.jpg

end of battle round 1

Battle tactics scored: 1-1

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
SECOND ROUND

the problem in going first, is that if you're not lucky, the opponent take an immediate double turn.
He rolls a 2, i roll a 4

My Coach doesn't gain a single power level.

SOULBLIGHT' turn

Battle tactic: ferocious advance (run with 3 units)

Mannfred fails both of his spells (i was trying to kill the gruntas that blocks my VLoZD).
the VLoZD shields the terrorgheist again.

Move:
Mannfred toward the mawcrusha because who knows? if the VLoZD won't be freed, i could need him
The coach, the wolves and the knights run to complete the battle tactic.

shoot:
Now, i need my VLoZD to charge the mawcrusha.
The terrorgheist shoots the last Gruntas and kills it, freeing the VLoZD and the zombies.
The Dragon shoots the mawcrusha for 4 wounds... all blocked by the amulet.

Charge & combat
the terrorgheist and the VLoZD charge the mawcrusha
Mannfred charges it only to redeploy in the mid-field, to act as "screen" toward the 2nd mawcrusha.
the zombies fail twice the 7" charge.

the previous luck by the mawcrusha is balanced by another 6 by the terrorgheist for 5 MWs, and other solid damage by the VLoZD.
the turn ends with the terrorgheist sitting on 7 wounds and the mawcrusha on 3

2_1-SG.jpg

Battle tactics: 2-1 for me

IRONJAWZ' turn

Battle tactic: bring it down (kill my terrorgheist)

With double move and rolling a 9 on a 8" charge, the 2nd mawcrusha joins the big fray.
the brutes charge the screen that shield my coach and butcher the black knights.

At the end of the combat, the VLoZD is severely wounded and the terrorgheist is killed
the mawcrusha general is killed too, and the second mawcrusha is wounded (taking also 4 MWs by the zombies)

2_2-Orr.jpg

despite the +1, the dead knights don't turn back

Battle Tactics completed: 2-2

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
THIRD ROUND

We both roll a 3, so the priority is mine.

SOULBLIGHT' turn

I don't care about battle tactic or hero phase, i just need the move phase.

pic taken at the very beginning of the third turn, that shows exactly the starting positions.
looking at the pic, what I'm going to do:

Move:

Upper left obj:
the VLoZd and the zombies disengage.
VLoZD vs the Mawcrusha is a tie, a couple of zombies gave me the control of the obj.

lower left obj: the skellies control it

Upper right obj:
the second unit of Black knights appears, controlling it

Lower right obj:
8 brutes and obviously the warchanter (counts as 2) are in range of the obj.
the 4 wolves disengage and go on it
Mannfred runs (he counts for 5 models)
the Black coach runs near it (counts for 2 models)
11-10, the obj is mine.

I control all 4 obj, INSTANT MAJOR VICTORY FOR SOULBLIGHT GRAVELORDS!!!

3_1-SG.jpg

AFTERMATH & THOUGHTS

Very weird battle (given the unusual victory conditions granted by the battleplan), but also very fun.
the terrains were placed to favor the charges, but in the end they were useful to block the passages and shield my most valuable units, as I've played mostly staying near the borders.
the Avengorii cursed mutations were both totally useless
Our monsters delivered heavy blows, it was a truly carnage.
The black coach was apparently useless, but in the last turn it proved to be decisive, along with all those "lesser" units (10 skellies, 4 wolves, 5 black knight in reserve)
I feared to use Mannfred in CC (those mawcrushas are out of his league), and he failed also some of the castings, but his superior movement was another key to victory.

Yep, this list has weak points, but i'm starting to believe it has potential.

As always, i welcome any comment and debate.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The Sun King

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Awesome battle report! Really a nice read and congratulations on the victory!

A minor thing: you can only pick a single mutation for your army, not two. Unless I'm missing something?

Also, I would highly recommend Maddening Hunger, when you face an army with models with only one wound (so not important here).

It was nice to see you use the grave sites and black knights to such great effect. AoS 3.0 is all about focusing on Battle tactics and objectives and not so much killing your opponent.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
A minor thing: you can only pick a single mutation for your army, not two. Unless I'm missing something?

Also, I would highly recommend Maddening Hunger, when you face an army with models with only one wound (so not important here).

Glad you liked it!

You can pick additional mutations for each battallion included, but they must be different (cannot pick a double maddening hunger, for example)
I totally agree on maddening hunger as the best mutation, but knowing my opponent it would have been pointless, so i was hoping to face a list with some caster.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Glad you liked it! You can pick additional mutations for each battallion included, but they must be different (cannot pick a double maddening hunger, for example) I totally agree on maddening hunger as the best mutation, but knowing my opponent it would have been pointless, so i was hoping to face a list with some caster.
Ah, so you took Warlord battalion and picked unique enhancement to gain the additional mutation?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu