• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Ernst Karg

Zombie
Nov 30, 2008
Dear creatures of the night,

I'm trying to get a 2000-ish Undead force going for casual play, but I have no experience whatsoever with VC/Undead Legion in 8th.

The theme of the army is a resurrected warhost from the past.
The premise is that there will be no Vampires, so things will be a bit more complicated. I'd also like to stay away from Zombies, Ghouls and animals because they don't fit the theme very well.

Here's what I've come up with (units marked with a "!" are non-negotiable since I already have the miniatures):

Master Necromancer - 270
Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Earthing Rod
General, tries to stay alive as long as possible. Inside Skeleton Archers (1).

Wight King (!) -115
Heavy Armour, Killing Blow, Skeletal Steed, Barding, Lance, Enchanted Shield
Adds a bit of punch to the Black Knights and looks awesome.

Necromancer -120
Level 2, Dispel Scroll
Support Necro, inside Skeleton Archers (2).

19x Skeleton Archers (1) - 178 Points
Light Armour, Master of Arrows, Musician, Standard Bearer, Lichebone Pennant
Defensive block, core fillers and bus for the Master Necromancer, (1) Magic Resistance

19x Skeleton Archers (2) - 163 Points
Light Armour, Master of Arrows, Musician, Standard Bearer
Defensive block, core fillers and bus for the LvL 2 Necromancer,

19x Skeleton Warriors (1) - 140 Points
Shield, Light Armour, Skeleton Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Screaming Banner
Anvil unit and core fillers.

19x Skeleton Warriors (2) - 140 Points
Shield, Light Armour, Skeleton Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness
Anvil unit and core fillers.

19x Grave Guard (!) - 308 Points
Undead, Heavy Armour, Shield, Great Weapon, Seneschal, Standard Bearer, Musician, The Banner of the Barrows
These guys should bring the pain

9x Black Knights (!) - 275 Points
Heavy Armour, Shield, Spectral Steed, Killing Blow, Barding, Lance, Hell Knight, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame
Flanking unit/Chaff clearer. Flaming Attacks to counter Ethereals and Regeneration. Look badass.

5x Hexwraiths (!) - 150 Points
Etheral, Fast Cavalry, Soul Reapers, Soulstriders, Spectral Hunters, Terror, Undead
Chaff clearer and general nuisance for my enemy.

1x Spirit Host - 45 Points

Ethereal
These guys will stall non magic heavy hitters and draw Magic Missiles.

TOTAL: 1994 Points

That's the basic idea. I really like the idea of using the Undead legions rules and adding a few TK archers for some ranged support and a generic army feel.

What do you think?

owain_b

Ghoul
Feb 3, 2014
Hi, I dont play undead legions but from my experience of VC and TK there are a few things I would change.

I would drop the Tel of pres from the neromancer. The 19 skeleton archers are his defence from shooting and if he is in combat then he is dead 4+ ward or not. I'd give him the black pariapet (or whatever its called) instead, far more useful.

I would combine the 2 units of skeleton warrior, 19 will die far too quickly.

I'd concider making the wight king a BSB as the -1 crumble can make a big difference to black knights.

Also I personally would drop the hexwraiths and add more grave guard. Unit of 30 would be ideal. Either that or just drop the GG as 19 just isnt enough in my opinion.

I'd also concider Master of the Dead on one of the necromancers if they are sitting in a skeleton bunkers, thats if it works on TK skeletons.

Just a few things I would do, hope its useful

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
My concern is your lack of Get Points units. And unfortunately that usually comes from vampiric units. You'll need to play the attrition + Invocation game very well. Maybe Lodestone Corpse Cart? And I agree, a lot of those units look too small to last much combat.

Feb 2, 2014
Bath UK
I agree that you probably need the Grave guard unit to be bigger, and all the skeleton units could do with being twice as big as well I would say. Also damage dealing does look a bit thin on the ground here and to remedy that I would swap out the Wight King and the Necromancer for a second Master Necromancer on Death.

Apart from that things could work, for casual play spirit hosts are fine but magic missiles are so prevalent that they're not usually worth their points.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
I'm moving this to Legions of the Damned.

Other than that I can only agree with what others have said. Master of the Dead would be good, as would a Corpse Cart with Unholy Loadstone.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
You need a Deathromancer. Vampireless lists win by running two Masters with Black Periapt.

I agree with what everyone else has said, you have a lot of units that are just too small to get points. Black Knights need vamp support to generate combat resolution.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu