Very new fantasy player

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Count TCS900

Zombie
Feb 3, 2015
3
Suffolk
Zombies
3
This is my army list for the 'ghost pirate' army that I am planning. I have strict rules for what cant be in the army, please bear this in mind with any ideas for improvement. The rules for this are: No Cavalry, War Beasts, Crypt Ghouls/Crypt Horrors or Black Coaches.
The list is:
2000 points
Lord
Strigoi Ghoul King
•Armour of Silvered Steel
•Obsidian Blade
•Potion of Foolhardiness
•Red Fury
•Quickblood
•Dread Knight
Hero
Necromancer
•Level 2
Necromancer
•Level 2
Necromancer
•Level 2
Ncromancer
•Level 2
Core
50 Skeletons
40 Zombies
•Standard Bearer
40 Zombies
•Standard Bearer
Special
20 Grave Guard
20 Grave Guard
Rare
Mortis Engine
•Blasphemous Tome

Any improvements to make it better that bears in mind restriction is very appreciated. A plog thread will eventually come up and I will edit a link to it then.
Sorry if i come off as rude in any part of my post, please tell me where and I will edit it out.
Edit: Sorry about no tactics. I have only had the army book a few days. In hindsight the armies ill be facing are high elf, lizardmen, empire and warriors of chaos (tzeentch theme)
Thanks
TCS900
 
Hi there :D Some ideas on how to make it more competetive:

Make the Grave Guards into one unit with Greatweapons, Full command and Banner of the barrows.

Give the skeletons Full Command and spears.

Cut the Necromancers and bring a Master Necromancer with 4 levels and dispel scroll.

Also, the Strigoi cannot take armour.
 
I forget what Potion of Foolhardiness does, but I think it's an Initiative boost and as I recall, SGK are already at Initiative 8, so it may not be needed. Obsidian blade is really good for ignoring armor, but so is Ogre blade and makes it easier to wound, so you may consider that also. Just as a safety net, it's generally a good idea to give the SGK a dragonbane gem also. His only save is a 5+ regen, so if he is targeted by fire, you get a 2+ ward save for just 5 points. I agree with taking the Master Necro over all of the baby necros, and he should have a dispel scroll, but you might also consider taking a Black Periapt (works on both player turns), The Cursed Book, or the Book of Arkhan. He also could use a Talisman of Preservation (or Endurance if you trying to save points). Lastly, if you do take the GG with great weapons, I would also take a Wight King with a GW and Nightshroud and some other cheapo item. He can also be a bsb, but I am not sure if you'll really need it.
 
I like fluffy armies and i love zombie pirates. So i'm looking forward to your upcoming blog. I hope the ME is some conversion invluding sone kind of boat? :)
I could als think of pirate-werewolves that count-as crypt horrors. Maybe this could be an exception for your restrictions?

For the improvement: Since direwolves and bats are out (even though i think zombie-parots would be a great count-as bats), i would suggest to include spirit swarms.

In addition to UP, also drop the dread knight from your strigoi.
 
Potion of Foolhardiness also gives Devastating Charge so it is rather good.
Sure, but that only grants 1 extra attack (maybe 2 with RF), you have to use it at the beginning of your turn, so you could still fail charge, and you can only use once per game, so if you mess it up, it's worthless. Especially since he's taking Dread Knight, his opponent could have him waste it on a unit champ.
 
I think the reason that he is taking Dread Knight is for a possible Demon Prince. The last thing you want is a SGK that's hitting on 5s and has no rerolls. I know that I have taken it before and it really helped with the DP. Outside of that one specific scenario, it's not worth it. A good substitute would be beguile IMO.
 
Me again. Sorry I didn't post for a while. I brought dread knight as the Strigois normal WS is too mediocre for a lord. I was planning for him to go with the warriors to boost their combat res so having to challenge isnt so bad for overkill (he should be able to beat the average champion comfortably) One of my mates also plays Chaos Warriors so a Daemon Prince may come along...
As for a level 4 Necro I wouldnt be able to take both him and the Strigoi as we wont play end times. I meant to put Ogre Blade but as he cant take armour of silvered steel should I give him a Giant Blade or keep Ogre Blade and give him Talisman of Protection?
 
Giant Blade + The Other Trickster´s Shard + Dispel Scroll + Red Fury. Almost nothing can survive that, be it a character, a monster or any troop from goblins to juggernauts.

And for protection, he already has 5+ regeneration. It´s not much, but you can boost it with a Mortis Engine, and the real defense of a blender lord vampire (strigoi or not) is obliterate the enemy before he can strike.

Hint: this guy makes an awesome combo with a VLord with the nightshroud ;)
 
I would not field a ghoul king without dragonbane gem, too risky! And if you are only playing 25% lords and heroes then I'd just drop 1 or 2 of the necromancers, I think 2 level 2 and a level one is just about enough if you are set on the ghoul king. I find if I have more than 3 wizards there is just never enough dice unless I'm playing lizardmen
 
I would not field a ghoul king without dragonbane gem, too risky!


Not really. There aren´t that much of flaming attacks in the game, and especially there aren´t that much flaming attacks that can survive before being destroyed by the SGK, xDDDD.

And if there is a flaming attacks unit that can survive and be a risk after the SGK massacre (witch elves with flaming banner horde?...the only i can think) well, try to not get in combat with them.
 
Not really. There aren´t that much of flaming attacks in the game, and especially there aren´t that much flaming attacks that can survive before being destroyed by the SGK, xDDDD.

And if there is a flaming attacks unit that can survive and be a risk after the SGK massacre (witch elves with flaming banner horde?...the only i can think) well, try to not get in combat with them.

I think for 5 points it would be silly not to take it. Thats 1 skeleton and I know which I'd rather have. I think flaming attackes are pretty common (well they are where I play). As Alabaster says Tzeentch, lore of fire spell give unit flaming attacks, Empire warrior priest can give unit flaming attacks, banner of eternal flame. I see these very regularly and if you dont it's only been one skeleton you're missing. And if you do see them you'll wish you had it as it will be a unit you dont have to avoid
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu