• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Jun 4, 2016
London
So a few of my friends and I are refusing to let the 8th edition die and are holding a little tournament between us. We're doing 2000pt lists and i'll be up against a very cheesy high elf, skaven and ogres list as well as a few others but i'm not worried about them.

I know 8th is dead and i should move on but if anyone could review this list and give me some help it would be very much appreciated!!!

Lords: 466

Vampire lord (220)
Quickblood (30)
Red Fury (50)
Heavy armour (6)
Talisman of Preservation (45)
Ogre blade (40)
Enchanted shield (5)
Lvl 3 (70)
Total =466

Heroes: 314

Wight King (85)
Shield (4)
Nightshroud (40)
Total = 129

Necromancer (65)
Lvl 2 (35)
Dispel Scroll (25)
Total = 125

Cairn wraith = 60

Core: 515

Zombies x40 (120)
Standard bearer (10)
Total = 130

Skeletons x39 (195)
Command (30)
Total = 225

Dire wolves x20 (160)

Special: 686

Grave Guard x38 (418)
Command (30)
Banner of the Barrows (50)
Great Weapons (38)
Total 536

Hexwraiths x5 (150)

Rare: 0

Total = 1981

If anyone recommends any changes that would be greatly appreciated! I also have 10 black knights, another 10 direwolves (overkill much...), another necro and mortis engine! p.s the wight king is the bsb model

Hope someone takes some interest :)

Reactions: Dragonet

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
No reason to feel bad about sticking with 8th, we do after all have a section still mostly dedicated to it :)

About the list. It looks pretty solid to me. If you have a mounted lord and a mounted WK you could go for a black knight bus instead of the GG, but this is strong too.

One thing I'd change is split the direwolves into multiple units of 5. A unit of 20 doesn’t have much purpose, might be able to combat chaff but not much more. 5 wolves on the other hand can be used as cheap redirectors and pretty solid warmachine hunters.

Also, what do you mean by the WK being the bsb model? Cause you haven’t upgraded him to that in the list.

Jun 4, 2016
London
Does a 10 man knight unit count as a bus hahaha?

Yeh sorry, i merely put them as 20 direwolves for ease of writing haha! I planned on having 4 lots of five :) i'm a WoC player by trade so i'm used to using warhounds! (They are warhound models as well)

Yeh the model is a bsb wight king but my mates wont mind if i field him as a normal wight king! Didnt know if i should make him a bsb or not, its hard to find a definitive answer on the topic

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Well, I'm used to play 8th with swe comp and there you never saw cav units much larger than 10, because bigger and the comped loads. And besides, a bus is mostly just a delivery system for characters and 10 does that almost as well as 15.

I personally always used a BSB in 8th, not sure if it is worth it in your list though. I played mostly tarpits and without a Vampire Lord so both the reduced crumble and the reroll Ld was pretty important.

Jun 4, 2016
London
Ah ok! In my head a bus was like 20 knights hahaha!

Ok, i was thinking either take the shield off my wight king and upgrade him to bsb (ive got 22 points spare at the minute and noy sure what to do with them) or give my necro book of arkhan

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
Hey don't feel bad, I still love 8th, it's all I play in Fantasy! And as soon as we're ready I'll get my small group to try out 9th Age, see how it works out for us.

I am addicted to Book Of Arkhan, it's the only way to be sure of getting Danse Macabre and by splitting the threat in lower points games I find it draws dispels away from Invocation or vice versa.

Jun 4, 2016
London
Yeh fair, i went for a banner of swiftness on my skellys in the end as i like the idea of my cairn wraith charging out with m7!! Book of Arkhan is still so attractive though so i can't make my mind up!!!

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
If yoi've got a plan to aaaassinate a war machine or character I'd do it, but consider using a Banshee as she gets her scream in before combat, and most enemies worth killing should have magic weapons. I once killed Morathi by charging her with a banshee, cut her down after a failed panic check!

Jun 4, 2016
London
oh wow!! see i decided to go for a cairn wraith because i dont have enough points extra!! but thinking about it the banshee might be better. I'm against two hell-pits so i thought the cairn wraith would have a better damage output...

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
3 x S5 attacks, pretty nice but Vargheists are faster and cheaper with higher WS, I and Frenzy; the Banshee doesn't even roll to hit! Or to wound for that matter.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
The hellpit can be upgraded to have Magical Attacks though, so you'd might have to be careful with using Cairn Wraiths and Banshees against them.

Skaven were one of the nasties armies in 8th edition, at least without comp. And brining two Hellpits is definitely nasty. What else is usually in the army? Big units we can normally handle with even bigger units that regain wounds. But stuff like cannons and towers can be troublesome.

Jun 4, 2016
London
One of them has magic, one doesn't!! I'm planning on hitting the non magic one with my cairn wraith?

He's taking 3 blocks of 40 slaves, a unit of 30 clan rats, a plague priest with furnace and 35 monks and then 4 rat darts - the annoying conga line version of redirecting chaff oh and a grey seer.

He's a bit of a cheese lord in my opinion

owain_b

Ghoul
Feb 3, 2014
I agree with all the above especially changing the wraith to a banshee, much better choice in my opinion. Also I'd consider splitting the zombies into 2 units of 20 won't take long for them to be 2 units of 40 ;)
But a pretty solid list all in all

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu