What are hex wraiths for?

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
More worth it against certain armies than others. I'd say if you go up against Empire WITHOUT them (maybe Dwarfs?) then you're doing it wrong. With their march and a nifty Vanhel's, I savaged an 8 strong unit of Inner Circle Order Knights down to 3 on the first turn, leaving my Hexwraiths reformed, behind enemy lines right next to their Hellblaster.
 
More worth it against certain armies than others. I'd say if you go up against Empire WITHOUT them (maybe Dwarfs?) then you're doing it wrong. With their march and a nifty Vanhel's, I savaged an 8 strong unit of Inner Circle Order Knights down to 3 on the first turn, leaving my Hexwraiths reformed, behind enemy lines right next to their Hellblaster.

Wonderful!

They're also great chariot stoppers when you just don't want it crashing into something else. Usually do it with spirit hosts but they can't be everywhere at the same time.
 
If you want to use them effectively rush them toward the back lines.

Vanhels helps both maneuver and do extra damage.

I found myself tempted to use my dispel dice on spells I would not necessarily care about. Also with most armies having an update they are not as strong as they were. Furthermore, with how bad they are comped in tournament play I have been finding myself going more and more with the Varghiest dart.

I have always toyed with having 2 mortise engines and hexies with a 5 up regean save lol.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head..
 
  • Like
Reactions: najo
I have trouble squeezing out points for hexies. A unit of five costs just slightly more than a unit of three Vargs but has roughly half as many wounds. They *do* have the upside of being virtually immune to most "chaff delete" ranged attacks like bs crossbow shots and things like that. Hm, maybe they are a little more worth it than I thought!
 
Hexwraiths are superior to Spirithosts. They move further and are fast cav. But even better, they can move through unengaged units and deal damage to an enemy unit as they do. Just really think about the possibilities of that. They are the most mobile unit we have and can delete chaff or anything armored by running over it. I always field two units of 6. They are my favorite units, and were difficult to learn to use, but well worth it.
 
ah I forgot to mention that my gaming group use the swedish comp system, so it' really expensive to bring multiple ethereal units, that's why I'm comparing ethereal vs ethereal.
 
  1. I don't think there is basis for comparing SH and HW, they do two very different things, only things they have in common is that they are Special and Ethereal.
More I've thought about it you're right. They have different purposes in the army. Both can redirect or grind, but hexwraiths are harriers while spirit hosts are multi tools that handle lots of little jobs. Hexwraiths get to hard to reach targets and destroy them. Spirit hosts tie up and neutralize pieces of an enemy's battle plan.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: filescraps
IMO there are certain armies you just HAVE to take Hexes against, such as Empire. I will be playing Dwarves tomorrow @1500pts and will be taking along 5 Hexes, so we shall see how they fare.
 
sorry for the stupid question but i'm noob..
Hex can march far from general's influence? because i try them only one and with only 9 of movement i can't do all things that you wrote.
 
sorry for the stupid question but i'm noob..
Hex can march far from general's influence? because i try them only one and with only 9 of movement i can't do all things that you wrote.
No, they can't march outside general's influence. Anything I wrote they can do. The trick is properly moving your general and using IoN. They just have to be in 12" of general at start of their move.
 
No, they can't march outside general's influence. Anything I wrote they can do. The trick is properly moving your general and using IoN. They just have to be in 12" of general at start of their move.
thank you for the replay, i'll try them again! (i love the models)
 
  • Like
Reactions: najo
thank you for the replay, i'll try them again! (i love the models)
They are the trickiest unit in our book to learn how to use. You need to get down moving your general properly first. Read the rule book FAQ on characters joining units. Understand how that works when characters leave and join other units. I love hexwraiths too. Good luck!
 
  • Like
Reactions: deste
Usually i play very static (except wolves) so i have much problems when i use units faster than infantry (hex, BK, TG)
 
They are there to look cool and show off your painting progress. I have played one game with a converted unit and they ate a war machine, which helped I guess. they were then fireballed to death.
 
They are there to look cool and show off your painting progress. I have played one game with a converted unit and they ate a war machine, which helped I guess. they were then fireballed to death.
Try running two units of 6-7 hexwraiths. They go well with BK bus, aggressive infantry and TG scream lists where there is greater target saturation and your general trends to be on the frontlines.
 
Try running two units of 6-7 hexwraiths. They go well with BK bus, aggressive infantry and TG scream lists where there is greater target saturation and your general trends to be on the frontlines.

Considering my plan is to run BK buses in fantasy, I will try that out, thanks!
 
Good luck! Hexwraiths take a bit to get comfortable with moving and knowing how to minimize threats to them, but once you have it down you will be amazed at how versitle and mobile the unit is.
 
In my first VC (against high elves) game EVER I ran hexwraiths (5) and well and truly paid for themselves. Using a building as cover I ran trough unit of sisters of avalon routing (rallied the next turn) them and then destroying an entire unit of lorthern seaguard (15). Then after that happened they were gunned down by the sisters but they paid for themselves :)
 
How many its was the game and did your opponent have a loremaster with the book of hoeth? They were the last opponents i played and pretty much decimated me. such bad magic phases ugh, my hexes didn't get to do anything. Searing doom on my black knights was the end of them as well. <rage smash>
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu