• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

What is Your Favourite Unit and Why?

Burnanation

Crypt Horror
Model: Vampire on an AT. No model means only conversions, and I love conversions.

Unit performance: Crypt Horrors awesome.

Unit fluff: Black Coach.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Ripper - fielding all those skeletons and zombies sure sucks, but I think that was the idea of GW, hordes of zombies and whatnot :rolleyes: Fluffy, but it makes one jelaous of core like Warriors of Chaos or Witch Elves ;)

@Burnanation - Isn't this guy an offcial interpretation of an AT? Nevertheless, AT, a monstrosity as described in the Armybook is surely a sweet subject for conversions, it's a pity it doesn't have as much work on the battlefield..

Ripper

Grave Guard
I just don't understand why they had to make zombies so god awful.

If you watched a zombie movie with GW zombies, there'd be no tension at all because the zombies would all be getting owned by 10 year olds with tennis racquets.

At least give them S4 for god's sake. They're zombies!

heldantes

Black Knight
Ha ha ha I like that image.

I quite like how awful our zombies are though. I see zombies, being controlled by the magic of our necromancers/vampires, as shuffling, barely held together sacks of rotting flesh. The mages are so preoccupied with their own selfish pursuits that they would divert only the bare minimum amount of focus and energies in getting them shuffling towards the enemy.

Resident Evil style zombies are different: they're controlled by a virus and self motivated by an insatiable hunger.

Mc1gamer

Nagash will Rise AGAIN! He's back? Nevermind
They are situational and can often die turn one vs certain armies, but I love the Hexwraiths. When they work, they are amazing. When they fail, they its pretty catastrophic. Even so, I love the idea of what they do, and played right, their sacrifice is well worth the results afterwards.

DIRE WOLVES:happy:!!!!!
When I was deciding which army to play I came down to the decision of DE or VC but the Direwolves won me over because they look so cool to me.
The fact that they are highly useful in game is also a bonus!

Haven't played much but so far Vampires are just the most fun. Not really a unit itself when it's within a unit but I single handedly took a unit of knights out with my Vampire Lord last game and it felt incredible.

Aside from characters Corpse Cart is probably my favorite right now. I'm also going to try the Black Coach sometime with the hope that one day I'll get it to be flying and ethreal which would be both awesome and hilarious.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Hard for me to choose between Grave Guard and Black Knights truth be told.

I just love the look of the elite bodyguard/ troop wading into the foe striking them down left and right, the dread reputation that goes with them and the other wights in their own right commanding them as Wight Kings or in the most dreaded of Cases Krell when he was scything through Dwarf troops along side Kemmler.
They just have style and incases have more will of their own and are not just the same as any other dead you find like the worthless ranks of zombies and skeletons.

Olethros70

Grave Guard
Vampires. Probably, in average terms, the best heroes of the game. As a unit, because of the idea, the miniatures themselves, the painting and the game results, the grave guards.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Direwolves are the all-time MVP for me. Mine have killed a Steamtank, mulitiple Hellblasters and cannons, HE and Empire Cavalry units, Dwarf Thunderers with Grimm (that wolf was all on his lonesome), Chaos lords, and wounded a Daemon Spider monster! I almost always never take more than 5 in a unit and only once from the aforementioned scenarios, did I take more than five (it was the Chaos lord and I took a Doomwolf and won the challenge!) I also love the Corpse Cart with its shenanigans.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Surely it's the Fusrodah Ghoul King? Skabscrath, Curse of the Revenant, Aura of Dark Majesty, and a Terrorgheist. Hello Bretonnian lance... :clown:

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Vampires. Probably, in average terms, the best heroes of the game. As a unit, because of the idea, the miniatures themselves, the painting and the game results, the grave guards.
As much as I love Vampires I just can't call them a unit, they have far too much character.
It's one of the greatest things they have going for them.

Wraiths, ever since I first aw their models in 4:th edition & learned that they were immune to mundane attacks I´ve had a special place in my heart for these guys. I was one happy guy when I learned that they had returned as a unit & no longer were just characters after the undead split.

Titcher

Skeleton
Vampire count on zombie dragon horde of zombies marching in front of him.
Image wise it is so strong and what attracted to the army in the first place

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Hmmm......it's really hard to pick.

For the actual models themselves, I am very partial to the official Blood Knight models, I just think they look mean when painted up right :vampire3:

Lore wise (as in fluff and not actual model), well of course it is the Supreme Lord of Undead as depicted here:

One day he will rise again and you will all be crushed underfoot!!!! :grave:

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Fluff and model, the terrorgiests. This guy is my baby, kinda my mascot. I don't play with him currently as proof you don't need terrorgiests. But, he will always have a place in my heart <3

Game play and concept, the hexwraiths. Fast cavalry, ride through, no armor save and flaming!

Lore, the vampire bloodlines, especially the Necrarch.

Got a soft spot for my converted Strigo Ghoul King wielding Skabscrath.

I've said it before, but Vargheists. My Vargheists killed a chaos sorceror lord and a chaos combat lord in two consecutive rounds of combat a couple games ago. It was epic. Then, last game, they single-handedly held a flank by killing two chaos chariots, before swooping in to chase off a fast cav unit that was threatening my bunker.

I really couldn't ask for much more in a unit.