What would you like to see in 9th

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

Quinten

Grave Guard
Jul 17, 2014
267
Zombies
240
Lately I have seen a lot of nah saying about 9th over some rumours. A lot of rumours even ones that have been consistently repeated are way off base. With this in mind I would like us all to take a load off and share their ideas for what they would like to see in 9th edition.
 
  • Like
Reactions: The Sun King
For one I'd like to see cavalry get their real-life advantage of ASF on charge, and then maybe rank penalties afterwards as their tight formation disintegrates with horses jumping everywhere and each cavalryman fighting his own battle.
 
Why round bases a nice change? I personally think we need to keep square so we can have formations easier and keep the large scale game intact.

Personally my list is game scales from skirmish up to full battles easily. Keeps square bases. Allies are the unified factions now and you build a specific themed army by taken only nits from that faction. New fluff but if any type of bubble world is in the game, don't make it silly or hard to believe, it has to be cool. I want to feel the presence of the old warhammer world in the new one.
 
I'd love to see a scaled-down version of the game that takes ~1 hr to play. 1,000-1,500 point games are fun in that sense, but most armies struggle to make lists that work at that level.

I'm not super into round bases. At best I'm hoping the change will be benign. 40K is a really brainless game, and I think fantasy can only be detrimented if made more like it.

Very stoked for the fluff changes, though. Also combined lists in core rules. I really like my Tomb Counts list, and would be overjoyed if they were given that rubber stomp of core rules approval. Ban Malekith/Nagash/KFA all you want, but let me take chariots and unarmoured skeletons in core, and a casket in rare. Plus sphinges, because they're super cool.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dragonet
I love my Vampire Kings!

I prefer square bases because you can still skirmish like 40k, especially if there 360 degree facing when skirmished AND you can easily rank up and do formations. As long as fantasy has formations and facing with front, flanks and rear, the game is going to be good!
 
The two big things for me are setting and scale. I dont want to lose the world we have with all its background, and i dont want to lose te scale of formations of units fighting each other.

Beyond that id like to see some slight tweak to cavlry charging

tone down on the randomisation in favour of tactics

tone down lazer guided cannons

maybe combined rider/monster mounts (depending how they combin and cost them)

Ideally some change in the archaic undead unstable rule, either a test like demons or have a max lost in a unit equal to casualties inflicted (so no attacking a weak unit to kill a supporting strong one) or have the unstable lost for the combat not per unit.

Beyond that dont break what isnt broken!
 
Yes. Unstable should just apply for the WOunds each unit lost it by, so if you have 30+ Zombies in combat with 12 Black Knights and Zombies take 18 Wounds and Black KNights take 1, and you lose the combat, Zombies take extra 18 Wounds but Black Knights only take extra 1 Wound. Makes hammer and anvil actually useful. Also Lords and Heroes with Vampire/Undeath/Nehek (also krell, as he seems to do alright by himself) immune to Unstable and Crumble.
 
I agree with giving cavalry ASF on the charge. It should be a cavalry/monstrous cavalry rule.

As far as them losing rank bonuses after first round I don't see it as necessary since most units of cavalry are super small anyways.
 
Spear units getting ASF and +1 strength vs. cav when cav charges them.

A rules set that doesn't make my armies so obsolete that I feel like I'm playing Dogs of War
 
What I would NOT like to see in 9th is simplifying the movement phase. Movement as it exists now is the most important part of Warhammer and is what makes it such an interesting and tactical game. All of the above suggestions about specific changes to weapons and bonuses for unit types would be great. I would personally like to see:
-Changes to steadfast
-ASF not being so ridiculous OR Elves not getting re-rolls from ASF
-Characters on large mounts being less of a liability
-Attempting to cast the huge nuke spells should be higher risk
-Line of sight rules should be more streamlined and based on unit type
 
It is most realistic to have model's eye view based line of sight. Except of course when proxying with different models sizes. But I do think true line of sight is best, unless of course abstract unit type based line of sight would make things far simpler.
 
I would argue that is not most realistic, because that completely depends on the frozen pose that the model is in. One model may be crouching, whereas another may be climbing up a tree.
 
Square bases for units of multiple models (don't care for lone model units like monsters or war machines). My favorite units from the undead legions (Nagash, crypt horrors, mortis engine, morghasts, necromancers, casket) still in the game as part of the new undead faction, not just obsolete, 'technically playable' holdovers from the previous edition.

I have little to no expectation of either of these things.
 
Used to be that charging always meant you fought first. The designers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to remove that in favour of always striking at your initiative step.

Then they took two steps backwards, and implemented a tremendously complicated Always Strikes First, Always Strikes Last interaction, and then handed both of those rules out like candy. They gave it wholesale to three entire armies, for goodness sake. Why require everyone to use their initiative value at all times, and then render initiative completely meaningless because everyone has ASF or ASL?

They missed a trick. They should have introduced a raft of modifiers to initiative instead of something either granting ASF or imposing ASL. Great Weapons could be -2 Initiative. Charging lances could be +2 initiative. Stationary spears could be +1 initiative in the first round, etc.

Apart from that the biggest problem with this edition is that disrupted units remain steadfast. Disrupted units should not be steadfast.

Cannons are also too accurate and too damaging to mounted monsters.
 
What I like to see:
-Small buff to cavalry, asf on the charge sounds great
-Combined profiles for characters on monsters
-Recasting of spells (obviously with some mechanic to curb the end times magic brute forcing)
-Turn cannons into cannons again, instead of giant laser-guided sniper rifles
-Bubblehammer in some form, I like the idea of alternate dimensions and I am very interested to see if they can pull it of
-The return of bloodlines in our army book
-Special characters from each bloodline (not all vampires are von carsteins dammit :tongue:)

Most importantly for me: leave Blood Knights as a unit of some description. Not all of us became skulcrushers.

Also, I am very happy with the upcoming change, may we live in interesting times indeed.
 
I'd imagine that by bubblehammer he means chunks of the warhammer world existing in isolated pockets wighin the warp, occasionally coming into contact with one another - not so much bubbles crashing into each other as poctets of reality temporarily coming into alignment, imagine unsuspecting empire cities just appearing in the middle of great skaven warrens, or a vast necropolis manifesting amid an elven forest, disgorging a plague of undead that vanish as quickly as they appear, or a tribe of orc survivors praying to gork for a worthy battle, only to suddenly find themselves on a great battlefield of ghost warriors forever fighting the final moments of the end times

Planes of reality coming into and out of alignment, or battling waves of daemons whenever the bartiers protecting them from the warp falter, their mages scrying in the hopes of anticipatjng, preventing, or controlling the next conjunction.

I'm not a fan myself, but whatevs.
 
That sounds a bit weird, things popping up and vanishing everywhere. Although I'd like to see Nagash appear in Skavenblight and scare the living daylights out of the furry ones.
 
I play Warhammer Fantasy for a reason. I do not want to see Fantasy "Spess Mareens..."
I do not care all that much for Sci-Fi. I'll maybe watch a movie on the genre but that's it. I enjoy medieval fantasy.

GW has it in their heads that altering the lore of the game so it is borderline sci-fi is a good idea but it will turn people off faster than you can say, "Wil Wheaton."

What I would like to see after the release of 9th is that events will be held where people are using armies. I do not want a skirmish game. I know the company's reasons for scaling down (cheaper entry, competition for warmahordes, not wanting to pay rick priestly any more royalties) but I got in this game to field a large amount of troops. If I wanted a skirmish game, I'd play one of the ones already existing. WHFB is the only one of its kind; a medieval fantasy war game. If it were to become more popular at smaller point values, then the army sized game would vanish. I do not want to attend events or go to clubs where you can only field a few models, that's not what I want.

Should such a thing not occur, and if 8th edition armies are so outdated that they feel like you are playing Dogs of War, then this guy is out of the hobby. Playing a game from the older edition won't be an option for me as I want to attend competitive events. Pickup games with your friends get old if they mostly play for fun and don't have an interest in tournaments.
 
I agree with Seneschal. I wonder if GW has heard of "New Coke". They could always release optional rules for smaller games. They could even print it in a book and call it something like the General's Book, General's Instructions, or something like that. You'd think that maybe GW would have done that. You'd think I'd have that book sitting on my shelf...

What I would like in 9th ed:

Chargers strike first like in 6th ed.
I like that ASF and ASL cancel each other out.
Skirmishers should go back to 6th ed.
Flanked units should not have stead fast.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Seneschal
I agree with Seneschal. I wonder if GW has heard of "New Coke". They could always release optional rules for smaller games. They could even print it in a book and call it something like the General's Book, General's Instructions, or something like that. You'd think that maybe GW would have done that. You'd think I'd have that book sitting on my shelf...

What I would like in 9th ed:

Chargers strike first like in 6th ed.
I like that ASF and ASL cancel each other out.
Skirmishers should go back to 6th ed.
Flanked units should not have stead fast.
What if any unit can skirmish or rank up, except skirmishers can't rank up and they know how to use their skirmish formation more effectively so are -1 to hit?

And what if disruption countered steadfast?

And how about lances and mounted spears count as ASF on the charge? How about foot spears count as ASF against a unit charging them?

@Seneschal What if the slaan and the artifacts of the old ones is still kept feeling fantasy and weird, no direct obvious connection to 40k as it's been this whole time. Just more engines of the gods type stuff? What if the lizardmen go off to reclaim the old ones legacy, using the magic-tech that is tired to the warp gates etc?
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu