• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

What's your favourite Bloodline

What's your favourite Bloodline

• Total voters

Abhorash.

Grave Guard
Yea. I mean Archaon is extremely powerful. However a couple thousand year-old Vampire who has mastered the blade and drank the blood of an ancient Red Drake is very threatening. I wish Abhorash had some form of a profile or examples of what he can accomplish in combat. Until then he is just a legend and his power can only be imagined really. Stats wise I don't think anyone can beat Archaon on the board in a 1 on 1. Maybe Tyrion with some really lucky rolls.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Fully agreed. After reading Liber Necris and then VC armybook I was very surprised to find out Abhorash and other great Vampires of old were not represented in the book. They're not just old or rather ancient Vampires but their ancestors, so to speak. But maybe that's because of the matter of balance on the tabletop - for they must be extremely powerful.

Well here I am to tell you why I like the von Carstein more than any other bloodline. (Even more than the Blood Dragon, a second favourite)

Let me start by saying that I love vampires as a whole, but my favourites has to be the ones that, with sweet words and actions, can make you do anything. This smooth ladies and gentleman who can just mess up any institution from the inside. Not only being astounding manipulators who pull the threads in the whole Imperial Politics even that some ascended as Counts themselves and threatened the Empire of man to the point to assault them at their own homes but also they are proven mages, warriors and magicmongers which have gathered the most magical treasures than any other bloodline.
Thats the main reason I finally chose von Carstein over Blood Dragons. Because yeah, Blood Dragons are classy bloody vampire warriors and that is pretty cool, but the von Carstein are by far more superior in domain reign and power. Also that im in love with both Vlad/Isabella and Manfred. Also that special cousin that nobody talks about called Konrad. xD

Necromancers, I just love the idea of a lone wizard raising legions of undead to do his bidding. If I must choose a Vampire Bloodline, it would be Von Carstein since they are the Classic Vampire imo.

I would vote for necromancers but then again, Necrarchs are more evil and despicable, hence I vote for Necrarchs. I would love to se them return to the army book as a bloodline choice for your vampire.

Necrachs, for the are not only utterly evil to the point of obsession, and they the disciples of Nagash but they are totally utterly without any doubt absolutely stark raving bonkers.

I started out with the Necrachs as a slim advantage over the Blood Dragons. Started out playing those guys for a good while before shifting the total opposite direction and then running Blood Dragons all the way until the new book came out regulating Blood Dragons to fluff status.

I still have a very cool painted necarch on Winged Nightmare that has actually never hit the playing field. :( Booo

Blood Dragons, closely followed by Von Carsteins. Just love the idea of a fallen knight, clinging to a perverted version of his code of honour for eternity. Kind of sums up that Vampires aren't necessarily evil, just removed from normality.

I'll say that 6th Edition Aborash sort of sealed the "Honorable Warrior" Blood Dragon bloodline for me. Lahmian is a close second, and Strigoi a third.
To me, character (development) comes before being evil abominations to the eyes of man.

Alastor

Black Knight
I love the Von Carstein bloodline.. I know it's a bit vanilla but I just like the idea of bloodthirsty, undead aristocracy sitting in decrepit castles and manor houses waiting to raise an army if undead or entice their next meal into their lair with a veneer of polite nobility.

Strigoi are a close second, they're not too far off the original vampire myths from Romania and Transylvania.

Gone for blood dragons as live the fluff behind them. Though do like vin car steins as well as they are for me what you think a "typicsl vampire " to be.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Quite a hard choice, yes, regarding the moment they are totally different. I'd go for the Blood Dragons - after all, you can imagine that the Winds of Magic are unpredictable and unreliable, but a warrior with something like Killing Blow, Fear and / or Red Fury will always crush all standing in his way)

Blood Dragon. Love the idea of a noble vampire trying to purge himself of the need for blood to become the perfect warrior.

Banat

Varghulf
Previously I was sort of on the fence about the Von Carsteins, but I think End Times has done wonders for Vlad, whilst Mannfred is getting center stage in Warhammer Total War (also trolled the entire Old World into non-existence). So I'm fanboying them a bit at the moment.

I have yet to use Vlad in battle so we shall see how he performs once I've got my army repainted and my Grave Guard horde finished, however there are certain parts of his fluff that appeal to me; the undying, or witnessed killed in horrible ways in battle only to be later reported executing prisoners elsewhere a few hours later etc from his first fluff, then the fact that he goes all super honourable in his quest to retrieve Isabella's ashes, saves TEH EMPRAH and is formally recognised as an Elector Count for it, and as a result is given a Runefang. I intend to convert his model so that he has BOTH Blood Drinker AND a Runefang.

Mannfred's end times model (specifically just himself, the rider) is without a doubt the coolest mounted lord character. I've got hold of a second one, so I have one for the Mortarch Mannfred, and another one for my Total War Mannfred on zombie dragon, magnetized so he can ride Skeletal steeds to join Black Knights and my Pegasus knight Nightmare conversion.

Cant decide if Blood Dragon or Carstein

Blood Dragons, because Abhorash
Carsteins, because Vlad (and the fact tha Mannfred are one of the most interesting villains in Warhammer IMO)

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I answered Von Carsteins ages ago, due to preferring 'generic' options in general. I love that classic vampire feel. Plus the Von Carsteins are the most diverse, you can have your brutal warriors, refined aristocrats, and recondite arcanists running shoulder to shoulder all within a single bloodline.

Of course, that love of diversity led me to greatly prefer the post-bloodline approach to vamp counts. I like running Mannfred alongside a strigoi ghoul king lacky, or a Lhamian Vampiress with a Blood Dragon suitor, and so on. Even in this context, though, I still preferred the Von Carsteins for their classic vampire theme and their important place in Warhammer vampire lore.

The End Times have only encouraged this preference, with Vlad, Mannfred, and Isabella proving to be some of the most important, most interesting, and most dynamic players on the field.

So yeah, Von Carstein. It was my favorite before, and its only more so now.

That said, I personally would have preferred to see Zacharias (perhaps revealed to be W'soran after all, or maybe Nagash's call could have woken the hidden parasitic spirit of W'soran within Zacharias's mind) to Dieter or Luthor Harkon as one of Nagash's mortarchs. The Necrarchs were supposed to be the bloodline that stayed loyal to Nagash's ambitions. It's kind of criminal how little play they got in Nagash's return.