• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Calmdown

Zombie
May 11, 2016
Liverpool
Hi Guys

I'm looking to convert a vampire lord on foot with wings (I dont like the GW model). I'll be playing in tournaments so the base model needs to be GW.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice of none-too-complex conversions for this?

Cheers!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
The simplest idea would be to get an ordinary foot vampire and add wings taken from Tyranid Gargoyles or Dark Eldar Scourges - similarly to how @Mnemloch did with his vampire ladies HERE and HERE. Other than that, you could take an already flying model and hive it a vampire face or just a paintjob. One of those flying stormcast eternals with the helmet replaced with a vampire head from Zombie Dragon kit would work... if you could fit it on the base...

I would say that the vampire turns into a bat only to move from a place to place - like vampires in Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - you could explain it to the other player - but maybe that's too simple ;)

Also, this question could find more answers in the Dying to Help section ;) Maybe a mod could move it for you

Mnemloch

Ghoul
Feb 17, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Yea, the DE wings are quite nice for bat wings. Some friends after seeing my ladies have actually made some Harpies out of their beatmen models. I should say working on it. But they would be pretty easy to do.

Reactions: Dragonet

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Also check out Game Zone miniatures. Their harpies can make excellent vampires with limited conversion.

el-abrazo-de-la-arpia.jpg

and

arpias-ii.jpg

I want to use these guys as vampire spawn, and still intend on doing so eventually.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Leithel The task was to find a GW option, so I omitted them ;) Still, @Calmdown , if you ever find yourself expanding beyond just GW, gamezone indeed has nice options for winged vampires. As much as Enigma Miniatures, Russian Alternative or many, many others.

@Dragonet yes, Valkia! I was thinking about winged GW models and apparently forgot about that one! Converted to be less demonic or not, she could fit this topic very well :)

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Where's that Isabella von Carstein with Dark Eldar wings? Similar to those Coven Throne ladies, but he replaced her arms. I'd take me forever to find that plog since I can't remember who made her.

Mnemloch

Ghoul
Feb 17, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Yea, I thought about arm replacement, but I wanted to convey that they were "part-time" bats. That the wings could be folded and hidden etc.

I haven't seen the Isabella one, would love to see it. I was searching forever for ideas and just stumbled upon the DE wings and decided to try it.

Calmdown

Zombie
May 11, 2016
Liverpool
Still havent found anything I like! Valkia conversion would be awesome but too much/hard work for my time pressures and lack of skills - too much Chaos iconography on her and getting that shield off without having to resculpt the arm looks like a pain. I do have a box of tyranid gargoyles knocking around though so if I could find a decent base model...

Alternatively I do like the idea of using a non-winged model and just picking up a bat, and replacing the model every time s/he moves anywhere :)

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
@Calmdown , @Farmer7574 Thanks :) but my model is the basic winged vamp model with a few alterations, like the wing was already there. However I am currently working on crypt flayers and stuff and noticed that the small wings you get in a box are perfect for a winged vampire/ghoul king or something like that. As a matter of fact they are the wings @Sessioni used for his amazing conversion that you linked :D And they do not require much work to make them fit.

Reactions: Farmer7574

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu