WK's Undead Meanderings

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Took a long while with no painting, but I just finished a couple figures that while perhaps not undead per se, do fit in this thread.

Introduced into MOTU continuity by the Ladybird books, the Skelcons are a race of horned demons who worship the bones of their ancestors until a summoning spell, cast by Skeletor, brought them to Eternia. For obvious reasons, they view Skeletor as their god and serve as his soldiers, wearing skull masks and wielding weapons built from the bones of their dead.

Skelcons%2B1a.webp

Skelcon warriors

Skelcons%2B1b.webp


Ironically, I am both happy and unhappy with how they came out. I hesitated longly whether to paint their faces as bone mask, like the MOTUC toy, or in the same colour as their skin, like in the original Ladybird books. I went with the former for more contrast and I think it was a good call. I also wanted their skin tone to be different from Skeletor's, so went with a darker, greener blue. The resulting colourscheme looks great, I think, but ironically, now I sort of wish I did paint them in Skeletor's skintone, like the Ladybird version. The bases are my usual recipe of sculpted on flagstone texture, painted in purple as they are part of the Evil Warriors.

Skelcons%2B1f.webp

The diverging inspirations: MOTUC figures vs Ladybird book

Skelcons%2B1c.webp

Teela and Man-At-Arms are attacked by some Skelcons

Skelcons%2B1d.webp

Skeletor flanked by his new honour guard

Skelcons1e.webp
 
I think that they look very good. I take your point about the skin tone, but you're being too critical of the final result in my opinion. This is very good work. Besides, the contrast with Skeletor's skin tone makes them stand out more.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu