• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

etancross

Zombie
Dec 5, 2007
Richmond, Va
My first game with Vampire Counts tonight ends with:

A victorious Slaughter for me!

My opponent was High Elves
I apologize for not knowing all their units and unit names but he had
2 units of Cav (Silverhelms)
1 (maybe 2) mage(s)
2 units of archers (Shadow Warriors)
2 units of swordsman(?
1 unit of something else(his general was in this unit)

My list:

Necromancer (General w/skells)
- Staff of Damnation

Necromancer (w/zombies)
-Dispel Scroll
-Book of Arkhan

Vampire Thrall (w/zombies)
-Blood Dragon BSB
-Flayed Hauberk
-Talisman of Protection
20 zombies
20 zombies
20 skeletons (w/cap’n)
3 batswarms
3 spirit hosts
3 fell bats
1 Banshee
Total: 1474
This is mostly an Overview of what happened, I didn’t put in all details but I did put in enough info to let you know mostly what happened.:

Turn 1:
Vampires
I got first turn, since this was my first game I was a little nervous about not really knowing the rules that well, I have lots of warhammer experience but no Vampire experience. I move my general unit and the zombies directly forward (marched) moved my banshee and spirit hosts into a piece of terrain (a little house) this was in preparation of the approaching knights. Jumped my fell bats over and behind a piece of woods out of site of the archers(on hill), was hoping for a rear charge on them but set it up obviously and badly! Jumped batswarms up.

High Elves
Also mostly uneventful, moves everything forward and everything was moving VERY fast! Archers (I think he was calling them shadow warriors) killed a zombie they were coming forward and not much of a worry for me. Shutdown his magic phase he was eyeing my batswarms

Turn 2

Vampires

Jumped fellbats out of woods RIGHT behind archers(on hill), Moved everyting up defensively, moved spirt hosts up forming a wall in front of banshee moved batswarms up (was REALLLLLY hoping to set a plan into motion). This magic phase is what turned the game in my favor, Managed to raise 14 zombies (woot) AND the plan I was trying to work starting rolling because I got off Dance of Macabre and was able to flank a unit of Cav (Silverhelms) with my batswarms and cause 2 wounds, beat them and broke them… NOT ONLY THAT!! I ended up running them almost off the board but ended up hitting his Mage!! This is HUGE!!! Other side of the table my banshee warms up, inhails deeply, and wails out a tune so strong it causes one of the Silverhelms head to exploded!

Highelves:

Cav charges Spirit Hosts, archers(on hill) charges fellbats, His generals unit charges into the fight with My thralls unit, other Cav unit rallies, (All fear checks past) tried to cast a spell to give his mage a Wardsave I used my dispel scroll on that one and that was pretty much it for his magic phase. My bats beat and ran down his mage which put them (my swarms) in PERFECT position behind his unit of Cav who just rallied and were basically big’ol expensive sitting ducks! I don’t know why he charged the spirt hosts because he couldn’t hurt them, and end up taking a wound tied combat (GRRRRR)

Turn 3

Vampires (smell blood)!

Batswarm rear flank cav, my generals unit charges into combat with his generals unit that was fighting my thrall. He had almost no magic defense at this point.. I raised 16 zombies in front of cav unit but also in range to flank his generals unit, I basically got every spell off. Banshee kills the rest of the knights, Cav failed fear check and ran forward into zombies, generals unit gets beaten, broken, ran into zombies, archers finally break and get ran down by zombies, and he now has NOTHING LEFT except his archers on the hill, I pretty much turn to face him and he concedes….. (picture below)

Unit of the match: Batswarms! Everyone kept telling me Batswarms weren’t so great and I shouldn’t take them.. MAN where they wrong, 5 wounds and 5 attacks each, 10in movement! They kicked SOOO much butt tonight I couldn’t believe it!

Some things I learned:

Im not sure why I made my Thrall a BSB… I made the list on Army Builder and I think I was playing with it and did that by accident, if I would have made him more “Killy” he would have beaten down my enemies general and broken that unit a lot sooner.

-Fear is FANTASTIC and helped me quite a bit!
- I had wondered how zombies would do in combat, and especially against Highelves and EVERY time they got at least 2 to 3 attacks back and killed several Highelves
- I have yet to lose to the new Highelves as either Orcs or Vampires!
This shows the position of my units closing in on the horrified elves on the hill. Everything else... DEAD!

ai6.photobucket.com_albums_y206_etancross_120807_20331.jpg

I LOVE vamp counts! I think I will make VC my tourney/competition army and make Orcs my for fun army!

Any advice, tips, hints, or comments are welcome!

Thank you and with that victory my fluff starts now…

(With the Blood of many Highelves dripping from his teeth Ethan Cross watchs as the remaining highelves turned and ran in pure undistilled terror, and disbelief at the ease in which they were beaten, and the brutal savagery shown as their leader was ripped open. The last thing he saw before he fell to his knees was his still beating heart torn from his chest and dropped in front of him.

With an almost childlike desperation the mortally wounded elf grabbed for his own heart and tried to push it back into his chest as if trying to put it back into place… he looked up at his attacker who put his head back and laughed out loud…. The highelves general knew his time had come as he struggled to stay conscious and realized his heart which he clutched tightly in his hands was no longer beating…. He looked up as his unholy attacker lunged forward biting down into his forehead crushing his skull like a melon and breaking the back, and will of his army.

Run elves... run to your masters… cry to your gods because the next time I crave elves blood, you will all be torn to pieces and you will all drown in a pool of your own blood….
The Machine is on the Prowl… and the Anti-Hero is on the Rise….

DarkHand6

Grave Guard
Aug 12, 2007
London
etancross said:
My opponent was High Elves
I apologize for not knowing all their units and unit names but he had
2 units of Cav (Silverhelms)
1 (maybe 2) mage(s)
2 units of archers (Shadow Warriors)
2 units of swordsman(?
1 unit of something else(his general was in this unit)

thats illegal at 1500
2 silverhelms, 2 shadow warriors and 2 swordmasters would be 6 special - hes only allowed 4 at less than 2k
the other unit i would assme where spearmen else he doesnt have a core unit - unless the shadow warriors were actually archers.

anyway - good game, u seem to have been pretty lucky as ASF is normally a killer especially against T2 bat swarms - well done indeed.

etancross

Zombie
Dec 5, 2007
Richmond, Va
I could (and probably am) wrong about the names, in the picture above the lone unit of archers (SW's)? on the hill he had 2 of those so maybe they were just archers... they didnt seem to be anything special as a unit of zombies that i raised as a distraction ended up beating them.

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
Dont think you will do this well with Bat swarms again, even gainst T3 elves, they are a complete points sink and should normally never be taken (until new book hopefully drops the points of them), the HE player must have rolled terribly...

etancross

Zombie
Dec 5, 2007
Richmond, Va
FatOlaf said:
Dont think you will do this well with Bat swarms again, even gainst T3 elves, they are a complete points sink and should normally never be taken (until new book hopefully drops the points of them), the HE player must have rolled terribly...

Howz it goen Fat-O? I trust your judgment because I've read all the battle reps and reports you've posted here (outstanding by the way, I found them very enjoyable) but I really like the batswarms. What do you think i should use as a suitable replacement for them?
I thought the 5 wounds is just great and didnt mind paying the extra points!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Haha, I'm very impressed that the Bat Swarms did so well, guess in the right hands they're pretty decent! Although to be honest sounds like your opponent consistently made the worst possible moves (Something I'm guilty of far too often as well) to grant you victory.

etancross

Zombie
Dec 5, 2007
Richmond, Va
EvC said:
Haha, I'm very impressed that the Bat Swarms did so well, guess in the right hands they're pretty decent! Although to be honest sounds like your opponent consistently made the worst possible moves (Something I'm guilty of far too often as well) to grant you victory.

yea it was great! he thought i was going to use the swarms to flank his archers when i raised a unit of zombies in front of them, so he got carless and didnt noticed he opened the flank of his Cav and it was all bats from then on, and they beat his mage with ease and then ran it down and THEN ended up right behind the Cav they flanked to get everything rolling for me and ended up killing his flank!

He was an experienced HE player, and I think he wasn't expecting me to be so aggressive, and was anticpating beating down the zombies!

FatOlaf

Varghulf
Aug 15, 2007
London
etancross said:
Howz it goen Fat-O? I trust your judgment because I've read all the battle reps and reports you've posted here (outstanding by the way, I found them very enjoyable) but I really like the batswarms. What do you think i should use as a suitable replacement for them?
I thought the 5 wounds is just great and didnt mind paying the extra points!

Oh thanks for that, I like meeting my fans! :mrgreen:
More Br's coming in 2008...

As for what to use instead of swarms, easy, for the tarpitting use good ole zombies and for march blocking use fellbats, if you want skirmishers, use ghouls (while we still can :() but trust me the swarms with their new crumble rule are awful, why take them if you cant raise them.....

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 13, 2007
St Helier
A small point, but you can only put a single unit with US up to 30 in a building - so that would be either the spirit host or the banshee.

I have also found the bat swarms to be a liability, unless the dice gods smile as they seem to have with you. You did well to kill the cavalre, and better still to rout them.

I tend to go with more host instead, but that is possibly overkill at 1500. Otherwise, a block of zombies is always good (cant have too many zombies)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu