• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
That's a pretty tough question as there are quite a lot of good lists that you could use. It all depends on what your preferred play-style is and what models you have available.

Personally I tend to go towards magic heavy infantry hordes, with either Nosferatu or Von Karnstein vampires. I have some other lists that I want to use, but I don't have the models for them yet.

If you could give a little bit more info about yourself and what models you have I'd be more than happy to help :)

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
I have only played had full of times and then 8th died in my area and 9th is starting to pick back up.
I prefer to play hammer style more than tar pit style.

I do want to use my skin wolves and mortis engine...

6 Skin Wolves I was going to use as Crypt Horrors, maybe use the as Vampire swarm?
60 Zombies
80 Skeletons
3 spirit hosts
1 Mortis Engine (I do want to sue this, never got to as 8th died)
1 terrorghist
10 black knights
1 Krell
1. Wight king
1. Necro
1. Vampire on foot
20 grave guard.

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
I was going to play with 1 Vampire lord, 1 necro 6 vampire swarm, 40 skeletons, 40 zombies, 5 black knights and the mortis engine... No real reason for picking these...

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Threw together a list real quick that you could draw inspiration from.

Vampire Count, general, Level 1 (Necromancy) @365
Brotherhood of the Dragon; Eternal Duellist
Talisman of Supreme Shielding; Kingslayer; Divine Icon; Hardened Shield

Necromancer, Level 2 (Death) @125
Dispel Scroll

57 Skeletons @310
Spears; FC
War Standard

20 Zombies @75
Standard; Musician

20 Barrow Guard @275
Great Weapons; FC
Banner of the Barrow Kings

3 Vampire Spawn @129
Skirmished

Altar of Undeath @220
Deathly Choir

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
on my Battle scribe I put your set up, it says I still have 180 PTS left... I forgot, I also have a Morngul that I can use for a Varkolak. I also can Add some Barrow Knights or another hero??

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Now I get a bit unsure of myself but I am still pretty sure that I added it all up correctly above. Are you sure Battle Scribe is up to date with T9A?

If you do have extra points to spend, a Varkolak would be a fine addition to the army.

Eilief

Zombie
Jul 31, 2015
Perth
Just entered this same list into Battlescribe and it ended up at 1499 points for me.

One way to check if you've got the correct Battlescribe VC version is to go to add a new force and see what VC is called. Mine says "Vampire Covenant v96 (v.1.0)".

Also make sure you're using the Warband Force Type (1500 pts and under), though all this changes is how many of each type you're allowed (rare, special, etc), rather than anything to do with points, if I remember right.

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Ok guys, I am playing against Dwarfs. I basically have every model and we are playing 3000PTS 9th age. ant tactics against dwarfs?

This is what I am thinking with out getting into the heroes/Lords

Core:
2 units of 5 dire wolves
30 ghouls
40 skeletons in the horde formation with a banner (not sure what banner yet)
40 zombies (will run Corpse car with mast wizard in them)

Special:
2 Phantom Host
2 units or 3 Vampire spin
1 Varkolak (need to add some stuff to it)
10 Barrow knights (with Banner)

Rare:
Altar of Undeath (Deathly Choir)
Shrieking Horror

This should leave me about 1,000 PTS for lords and heroes

Last edited:

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks Mad 'At! I got a 2500 point game going up. I was thinking of making smaller core units of 20 and raising them instead of my normal big blocks. Any thoughts?

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
@LichKing15: that would only work with zombies, unless you run Necromancer or Nosferatu vampire in which case Skeletons also work. In either case, I think 20 is a bit on the small side since you can only double your units in size. I've run my "combat" zombies in units of 35 from the start. That has served me quite well. I don't think I would want to go below 30 really.

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
what do you think of a Vampire on the court of the dammed? can I run that in a unit of skeletons, like how I run the corps cart in the unit of zombies?

here is the list I am thinking of running at the local 9th age tournament in Miami next weekend:

New Roster (2495pts)
Vampire Covenant (Standard (1501-3999pts)) (2495pts)
  • (No Category)
    • Vampiric Bloodlines
      Nosferatu
  • Lords (435pts)
    • Vampire Count (435pts)
      • Army General
        General

• Level 4 Wizard ​Master
        Path of Necromancy

• Magic Items (90pts)
        Blade of Red Thirst (40pts), Talisman of Supreme Shielding (50pts)

• Nosferatu Bloodline (140pts)
        Blood Power: Arcane Knowledge (30pts)
  • Heroes (605pts)
    • Necromancer (190pts)
      • Level 1 Wizard Apprentice
        Path of Necromancy

• Magic Items (45pts)
        Staff of Gerhard the Black (45pts)

• Mount (80pts)
        • Cadaver Wagon (80pts)
          Bring Out Your Dead (20pts), Cart, Endless Horde (10pts)
    • Vampire Courtier (285pts)
      Magic Items
      • Level 2 Wizard Apprentice
        Path of Death

• Mount (140pts)
        • Court of the Damned​ (140pts)
          Chariot, Ghost Steed, 2x Paramours
      • Nosferatu Bloodline (70pts)
        Blood Power: Forbidden Path (20pts)
    • Vampire Courtier (130pts)
      Level 2 Wizard Apprentice, Nosferatu Bloodline (50pts)
      • Magic Items (5pts)
        Talisman of Shielding (5pts)
  • Core (625pts)
    • Dire wolves (70pts)
      10x Dire wolf (60pts), Warbeast

• Ghouls (295pts)
      Champion (10pts), 30x Ghoul (300pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)

• Skeletons (175pts)
      Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), 30x Skeleton (150pts), Spears
      • Standard Bearer (25pts)
        Veteran Standard Bearer, War Standard (15pts)
    • Zombies (85pts)
      30x Zombie (90pts)
  • Special (340pts)
    • Phantom Host (85pts)
      3x Phantom Host (75pts)

• Vampire Spawn (255pts)
      Monstrous Infantry, 6x Vampire Spawn (270pts)
  • Rare (490pts)
    • Shrieking Horror (245pts)
      Monster

Monster

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
@LichKing15: The Court of the Damned can join units (if there is a character on top), but it does not have War Platform so would end up on the side of the unit if unit toany of our unfantry units.

The list looks cool. Some comments though.
  1. Why the Blade of Red Thirst on the Count? Even with that and a 4+ Ward Save I don't think you will want to have this guy in combat that often. I'd take Book of Arcane Power instead.
  2. The Courtier on the Court. Nosferatu can use Path of Death as standard, so take Arcane power on this one instead (this would combo very well with the Shrieking Horrors). I would also suggest making him the BSB, an 18" bubble is sweet. You should also take Talisman of Greater Shielding on him, and probably an Arcane Item.
  3. The second Courtier. What is the purpose of this guy? It feels like you have enough magic as it is. Might be worth it if you give him the Dispel Scroll (though a lvl1 necro is better suited for that).
  4. I would reduce the size of the Direwolves to 5 and take more ghouls instead, if you have the models for it.

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks for the Help. When I play I tend to just fly into combat, I'm not the best general. This is why I try to max out my attacks to have things beefed up.

1. Since the Count is on foot and he will most likely be in a unit with skeletons, Should I just leave him by himself or in a very small group in the middle of everyone and wait to get him into combat until the end of the game?

2. This I will run next to the skeletons and as support unit, not in the group. Arcane knowledge will be ok on here? Should I put some magic weapons on this vampire, or stick the dispel scroll and call it a day.

3. the 2nd Courtier was just to stick in another core unit so that he can just add some more attacks or use him as a body guard for the corpse cart. I could scrap him and add some more phantom hosts, Barrow knights or something else, he's 130 points so I can go a lot of different ways here...

4. I can raise more wolves correct? It has Invocation D3+3, so just take 5 and raise them to 10... I have plenty of ghouls, so I can add more.

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
  1. When I run Nosferatu I stick the lord and most other casters in a zombie bunker behind the lines. The zombie unit you have could be used for this, but could even be made smaller (since each aura Invocation you cast will increase their size). Generally speaking, this unit should never be in combat. I've gone as far that I've removed the ward save from my lord, to save points.
  2. Extra range on spells is always good, and with the attribute from Death you can put those -1 Ld hexes where your Shrieking Horrors are. Nosferatu can't even have magic weapons =/
    Giving him a ward save though could be very worth it since he risks getting shot at a lot. Templates hit him even if in a unit and the first hit to his unit can always be put on him (i.e. bolt throwers).
  3. A Barrow King would be much better suited for helping the necro out, but another unit of something is also a good option.
  4. Only Vampires with Hour of the Wolf can raise up more Direwolves. Still, a unit of 5 handles most of the stuff that a unit of 10 does. They can take out warmachines and get in the way for the enemy, but that is about it. A unit of 10 could be used to take out light chaff, but your Shrieking Horrors can handle that better.

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
so maybe i will get rid of that extra Courtier, ad a barrow King and a unit of zombies for the lord to sit in in the back

I will be playing against dwarfs... so I know there will be a good amount of cannons

is there a better ward save than 4+ for the lord?

Also any units with Invocation D#+#can be raised above their starting limit or just back to their starting size?

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
@LichKing15: A 4+ ward save is about as good as it gets for a Nosferatu Lord. Regardless, I would be more worried about the Courtier on the Court of the Damned, much more likely target for cannons.

Invocation of the Undead makes use of the rule Raise Wounds, which is limited to only restoring units to their original size. Our special rule Awaken allows us to go beyond that though, for specific units.

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Ok, Did some updating: I have the 2nd group of 20 Zombies to put my lord and another vampire in with the Battle standard in since I will be playing against some cannons and guns. I will sit them in between the big blocks of Zombies and Skeletons with the Ghouls in front. what do you think?

New Roster (2500pts)
Vampire Covenant (Standard (1501-3999pts)) (2500pts)
  • (No Category)
    • Vampiric Bloodlines
      Nosferatu
  • Lords (445pts)
    • Vampire Count (445pts)
      • Army General
        General

• Level 4 Wizard ​Master
        Path of Necromancy

• Magic Items
        Book of Arcane Power, Talisman of Supreme Shielding

• Nosferatu Bloodline
        Blood Power: Arcane Knowledge
  • Heroes (590pts)
    • Barrow King (80pts)
      Heavy Armour, Shield

• Necromancer (190pts)
        Path of Necromancy

• Magic Items
        Staff of Gerhard the Black

• Mount
        • Cadaver Wagon
          Bring Out Your Dead, Cart, Endless Horde
    • Necromancer (100pts)
        Path of Fire

• Magic Items
        Dispel Scroll
    • Vampire Courtier (220pts)
      Magic Items
      • Battle Standard Bearer
        Black Standard of Zagvozd

• Level 2 Wizard Apprentice
        Path of Death

• Nosferatu Bloodline
        Blood Power: Arcane Knowledge
  • Core (650pts)
    • Dire wolves (40pts)
      5x Dire wolf, Warbeast

• Ghouls (295pts)
      Champion, 30x Ghoul, Musician, Standard Bearer

• Skeletons (175pts)
      Champion, Musician, 30x Skeleton, Spears
      • Standard Bearer
        Veteran Standard Bearer, War Standard
    • Zombies (85pts)
      30x Zombie

• Zombies (55pts)
      20x Zombie
  • Special (340pts)
    • Phantom Host (85pts)
      3x Phantom Host

• Vampire Spawn (255pts)
      Monstrous Infantry, 6x Vampire Spawn
  • Rare (475pts)
    • Altar of Undeath (230pts)
      Chariot, Dark Tome, Ghost Steeds

Monster

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
@LichKing15 : Sorry for the late reply :(

The list looks pretty good. Have you tried it yet? I would very much like to know how it did.

Other than that I can only say that with the coming v1.2 you will probably have to be prepared to make some changes, but overall I think this army could work pretty well there too. But we'll see.

LichKing15

Zombie
Aug 1, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
the list worked out ok, I lost both games:

1. The First game was against Infernal Dwarves and my Shrieking Horror got picked off first round... I made the error of not moving in quick so that I could raise my troops to the max, which allowed his Kadim titan to create a good amount of problems...

The 2nd game against Orge's went much better, but the scenario had the armies set up the units across the board, so a large percentage of troops were out of my lords command...

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Ouch. Losing the big toys in the first turn is always rough. There was no terrain to hide the big bat behind?

Do you mean diagonal deployment against the Ogres? Can't really see why that would put so many of your units outside of range.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu